Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    The app has been updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I found it very helpful since I didn't go the the website very often.
    Hopefully paging back in time for prior forecasts is easier now. To get the forecast for the last week, click on a point you want to ski, and then use the date selector to page through as many prior forecasts as you want to see. You'll get the forecast and discussion for that point -- although the forecast zone it is in may change.

I love the new site! One thing I have noticed though is that they either changed the API or URL structure because I am now constantly finding links that end at a 404 across the internet - mostly related to old reports.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Hopefully paging back in time for prior forecasts is easier now. To get the forecast for the last week, click on a point you want to ski, and then use the date selector to page through as many prior forecasts as you want to see. You'll get the forecast and discussion for that point -- although the forecast zone it is in may change.

Doebedoe, random question.. does CAIC utilize volunteers at all? I'm a software engineer - technically a data engineer currently - and would gladly donate my time if ever needed.

Quote Originally Posted by DougFromCO View Post
    I love the new site! One thing I have noticed though is that they either changed the API or URL structure because I am now constantly finding links that end at a 404 across the internet - mostly related to old reports.

Doebedoe, random question.. does CAIC utilize volunteers at all? I'm a software engineer - technically a data engineer currently - and would gladly donate my time if ever needed.
    Agreed. I would be happy to donate software dev time. I am a website developer, work primarily in .NET MVC but happy to help anyway I can.

I'm really bummed there are no emails. They stopped working about 4 years ago for me and I reached out to try to get my emails working again and it never did. I tried signing up with different emails, etc. Emails are really important to me, I log into my email in the morning and read the weather and discussion. It helps me stay on top of it. I would like otherwise a notification on my phone each morning with the forecast(avvy and weather) for my subscribed zones.

At this time there isn't a volunteer effort for anything on the IT side at CAIC.

Thanks for the message on IG. One of the big things the rebuild sought to accomplish is moving to a more modular separation between CAIC databases (observations/reports, forecasts, weather, etc) and public products connected via APIs. The old site did not rely on APIs for observations, avalanches or accidents so moving them over has created a failure of old links. It's on the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    Agreed. I would be happy to donate software dev time. I am a website developer, work primarily in .NET MVC but happy to help anyway I can.

I'm really bummed there are no emails. They stopped working about 4 years ago for me and I reached out to try to get my emails working again and it never did. I tried signing up with different emails, etc. Emails are really important to me, I log into my email in the morning and read the weather and discussion. It helps me stay on top of it. I would like otherwise a notification on my phone each morning with the forecast(avvy and weather) for my subscribed zones.
    If you're willing to volunteer or have feedback on features -- best to send it to caic@state.co.us. That ensures you'll get a response, CAIC has contact to follow up, and your feedback/requests will be recorded.

I find it lame that important information is release via FB or Insta (which I don't use) rather than the website or app.

e.g. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...ibextid=Nif5oz

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I find it lame that important information is release via FB or Insta (which I don't use) rather than the website or app.

e.g. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...ibextid=Nif5oz
    Heart/Thumbs Up.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Agree with that.

Have I missed it, or does the app not allow access to field observations? Seems dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post

Have I missed it, or does the app not allow access to field observations? Seems dumb.
    Count me as another user that thinks it's important to have access to obs via the app. Count me as another ignoramus if I've missed it.

I don’t use the app, but observations are available with Chrome. Same as before with the list by date and the avalanche explorer that shows observations on an interactive map. And I think a new feature that list recent snow fall total without all of the information that comes with the weather station based data. I like it just fine.

Does anyone know if they plan on updating the "Colorado Accidents Table" anymore or will it only be the explorer? I don't see anything listed for this season and there have been a few incidents.

Does anyone know if they plan on updating the "Colorado Accidents Table" anymore or will it only be the explorer? I don't see anything listed for this season and there have been a few incidents.
    Those are usually fatalities I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Those are usually fatalities I believe.
    Not always... they do publish non-fatal accidents that they feel are significant enough that it's worth investigating and writing a full report on using that page. There's a separate page for only fatalities. They definitely don't post every single avalanche that someone triggers, gets carried, or injured in on that page though and I'd suspect that's the reason there's none this year - nothing yet significant enough to warrant a full report.

^^ What adrenlated said ^^

Glad to be corrected. They all seemed to be pretty major from my recollection, just wasn't sure it was all deaths or not.

yea the colorado accident table is probably not needed. they already have the view backcountry avalanches and looks like something new maybe, the avalanche explorer. I guess the accident table is where they can do detailed reports. I will repeat my beef. Why bother with different zones if you are going to have the same exact forecast and forecast discussion as the adjacent zone. I have no idea where the their observations are being made.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Why bother with different zones if you are going to have the same exact forecast and forecast discussion as the adjacent zone.
    Forecast discussions are regional, they stated that up front. I'd love for them to write a discussion for every zone they forecast but I understand why they don't.

Look closer at tonight's forecast for the two San Juan zones that are rated High. While very similar, the two forecasts are NOT identical, and the text is not the only difference.

I played find Waldo. only difference I see is the size of the storm slab is different. We can only hope it has the potential to be large, Pretty thin out there.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    yea the colorado accident table is probably not needed. they already have the view backcountry avalanches and looks like something new maybe, the avalanche explorer. I guess the accident table is where they can do detailed reports. I will repeat my beef. Why bother with different zones if you are going to have the same exact forecast and forecast discussion as the adjacent zone. I have no idea where the their observations are being made.
    As adrenlated said -- no two forecasts are exactly the same. If they were the same (danger levels across multiple days, same avalanche problems, same aspects/elevations/likelihood/size) -- they'd be one forecast. Discussions remain regional in nature -- 3 per day for Northern, Central and Southern mountains.

You can see where observations are being made by going to Observations -> View field reports (https://avalanche.state.co.us/observ.../field-reports) to see all the reports from public and staff.

As mentioned in the blog post (https://avalanche.state.co.us/blog/CAICsnewlook) there's an improved interface for observations/field reports in development that should be ready shortly. This will have a faster, better map view of observations. The eventual plan is to build an explorer similar to the avalanche explorer (https://forecasts.avalanche.state.co.us/explorer/) for accidents and observations as well. Those are slightly longer time horizons.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    As adrenlated said -- no two forecasts are exactly the same. If they were the same (danger levels across multiple days, same avalanche problems, same aspects/elevations/likelihood/size) -- they'd be one forecast. Discussions remain regional in nature -- 3 per day for Northern, Central and Southern mountains.

You can see where observations are being made by going to Observations -> View field reports (https://avalanche.state.co.us/observ.../field-reports) to see all the reports from public and staff.

As mentioned in the blog post (https://avalanche.state.co.us/blog/CAICsnewlook) there's an improved interface for observations/field reports in development that should be ready shortly. This will have a faster, better map view of observations. The eventual plan is to build an explorer similar to the avalanche explorer (https://forecasts.avalanche.state.co.us/explorer/) for accidents and observations as well. Those are slightly longer time horizons.
    thanks for the info. I found the observation that is linked to in my forecast discussion. It was from Red Mountain Pass.
    off your knees Louie

Thanks all for the response.

I have this dream that CAIC will just release a public API for all their data and let developers go wild with it. I’m the developer of BC Beta app (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bc-bet...pp/id957813284) and the new zone system basically broke my app. I’ve been gradually fixing things but it’s been a slog without any official documentation from CAIC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dmintz View Post
    I have this dream that CAIC will just release a public API for all their data and let developers go wild with it. I’m the developer of BC Beta app (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bc-bet...pp/id957813284) and the new zone system basically broke my app. I’ve been gradually fixing things but it’s been a slog without any official documentation from CAIC.
    I doubt they want to help developers who repackage their info.

Quote Originally Posted by SDW View Post
    I doubt they want to help developers who repackage their info.
    Why not as long as the data isn’t being sold? Isn’t the point to get the forecasts and obs seen by as many folks as possible? Their work is funded by the public and should be accessible as possible. Besides CAIC could really harness the efforts of third party developers at no cost to the organization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After watching the forecasts this year, I'd personally call it a failure and I'm really glad I get to use the CBAC for my forecasts.

Take the forecast today (which of course is from yesterday afternoon). There was, sadly, a death yesterday- but there is no mention of it in the forecast, since it came out too early. It seems to me that it's important info, that might alter people's plans. But the only way to know that is if you're on Instagram.

The dynamic zones didn't provide enough info either. It's really cool if there are different problems and different ratings, but I think it's important to say WHY in the forecast discussion. Usually that info wasn't in the forecast discussion- one area might be considerable and another is moderate, but you have no idea why: is it a PWL, a bigger storm total, more wind? Who knows?

I can't imagine how much more confusing it must be for a new bc skier. Anyway, those are my thoughts.