Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    The forecasts are still regional in nature -- CAIC is not generating point forecasts.
    I get that. I do worry, however, that a newer user won't click on the N face of Mt Gnar and think that they are very much getting a point forecast for it.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I get that. I do worry, however, that a newer user won't click on the N face of Mt Gnar and think that they are very much getting a point forecast for it.
    Yep. This is a communication concern. A similar question got asked at CSAW when CAIC presented on this. It's why there's a little disclaimer about the forecast being regional at the bottom. Have lots to figure out re:best way to message this.

Just get rid of it. I look at my zone and by January to get anywhere close to what is on the ground you will need to break the zone into at least 3 more zones. Also not sure what this means: Each day as we evaluate the avalanche danger, we’ll also determine which parts of the Colorado mountains have similar avalanche conditions. Then we’ll write an avalanche forecast describing the avalanche problems and avalanche danger across that forecast zone.
    So are we going to see donut zones with Wolf Creek, Irwin, Schofield and up by Steamboat?
    off your knees Louie

Wow! Lots of comments here interesting...

I'm looking forward to the new system. I can't wait to see how one area next to another will be forecasted (Black Lake Ridge of Vail Pass Vs. Uneva Peak of Vail Pass). And I have been pushing for the afternoon forecast for years.

A lot of your questions can be answered in Ethan's blog, linked below here.

https://avalanche.state.co.us/blog/C...eid=3d607e6ee4
    Last edited by Hacksaw; 11-03-2022 at 04:21 PM. Reason: oops
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Went through the blog and explored the new site. Is there still a drop down menu for snotel totals?

I could bring up snotel data but having totals arranged by zone or state wide is kinda nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Woo-Dus View Post
    Went through the blog and explored the new site. Is there still a drop down menu for snotel totals?

I could bring up snotel data but having totals arranged by zone or state wide is kinda nice!
    it is still there. Observations than view weather stations. I was able to view the complete list on laptop but unable to view past Gunnison on my phone. Wolf Creek up to 2.9 inches of water for this storm 19 inches of new.
    off your knees Louie

Thanks.
    Haven’t opened the laptop yet. I found that page but the old drop down box was great for laziness reasons.

And the Snowfall totals are back!

Does clicking Observations take you to the Forecast page for anyone else? You can still click the right observation page from the drop down but just clicking the Observations tab directly doesn't seem to work.

So, click upper right, you get drop down with options and the Observations tab has two different links. One is the arrow and that has a drop down with options, the second is tapping Observations which brings you to the weather forecast.

Hope that makes sense.

That’s what I’m finding.

guess I'll have to watch the youtube tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I don't see the point of email subscriptions. If you're heading out, you should spend some time on your laptop to look at the situation more closely.

Maybe I'm just an old fart, who likes big screens with easy navigation.

Email seems like a regression to the old days (in terms of detail) when you dialed up for a recorded announcement.

... Thom
    The point is that I don't ski every day. Email subscriptions make it easier to keep an eye on the snowpack throughout the season, even on days where I'm not getting out or doing a deeper dive into weather stations etc.

New site is OK but needs some tweaking, which I'm sure they're getting around to. Pics are all jacked up for me on safari.

Why is the map dominating the website when the key information (forecast, forecast discussion, relevant obs/photos) is what we all want to see? The layout is a step backwards IMO as it currently stands. The map needs to go away when you click on the forecast so you can see the whole page as forecast information. I also don't think changing the forecast zones make sense. And the website is unusable on a mobile phone, which is probably were a majority of users are trying to access it from. Appreciate the thoughts and efforts to make the website better, but the user interface/experience needs updating.

Is there a map (on CAIC or elsewhere) that shows the weather stations? Would be pretty sweet if those were geocoded on the Avalanche Explorer map - and then you could link through to the data.
    Also, the app will be back correct? Being updated to align with the new zoning presumably?

Yea, I agree. Although you can look at the weather stations on the CAIC site, it's not map-based. Here's a link to a map of the Snotel stations:

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal....5796&zoom=8.5

Did ciac stop emailing avi reports? Or have they not started for the season yet?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Mobile app updates to support dynamic zones are in progress.

Re:emails -- if you were a previous subscriber -- you should have received an email explaining what is happening with that service.

Weather stations: there isn't a map of these currently on CAIC website.

Feature requests, bugs, usability concerns or questions are best directed to the contact form on the webpage or emailed to the CAIC.

Quote Originally Posted by andy m View Post
    Here's a link to a map of the Snotel stations
    Thank ya Andy, bingo

Also, just saw that Gaia (gps app) added all the stations (and data if you click) as a map layer. Handy

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Also, just saw that Gaia (gps app) added all the stations (and data if you click) as a map layer. Handy
    What's the layer called?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    What's the layer called?
    I think it's just added, so you may need to update the app to see it.
    Name = Snow Stations (Daily)
    Clicking on it pulls up... elevation, date/time, snow depth, 24 hour snow depth change, SWE

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Mobile app updates to support dynamic zones are in progress.

Re:emails -- if you were a previous subscriber -- you should have received an email explaining what is happening with that service.
    I can't find an email from them on this. What happened? Cancelled the service?

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I can't find an email from them on this. What happened? Cancelled the service?
    I emailed them yesterday and here's what they said: "We are not currently emailing forecasts. That's not something that our new forecast system does. We sent a survey to all subscribers last season, and some additional information. Between the lack of interest, the huge resource commitment that emails required, and the new forecast platform, it was a feature we dropped from the priority list."

I agree with whoever said they liked the emails for keeping up with the snowpack on days you aren't skiing- of course I could do that by going to the site every day but I know I won't. But I get it.

Thanks for contacting them to get the details. Too bad they dropped that service. I found it very helpful since I didn't go the the website very often.