Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PSA - SRAM component and brake blowout @ bc.com

Don’t love supporting backcountry.com but hard to say no to 50%+ off.
    brakes (including codes), rotors, cassettes. Somewhat lesser discounts on rockshox.

Thanks for the heads up. Almost 50% off on a GX cassette was the best deal I've seen on those in a very long time.

And don't forget to use ActiveJunky for 8% cash back

Just got an ENTIRE SRAM NX groupset (minus bottom bracket, which is seperately on sale) for $182. 55% off! And did active junky. Holy Cow!

Wish they’d discount the better cassettes

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Good deals for sure! I was notified of a similar sale at Thunder Mountain. I’m guessing this means SRAM will be releasing their new drivetrain soon?

More likely that containers of backorders are showing up and they’re balancing their cancellations with their “vendor relationships” (read special volume based margins).
    Also, if anyone needs Eagle chains, hit me up.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    More likely that containers of backorders are showing up and they’re balancing their cancellations with their “vendor relationships” (read special volume based margins).

I'll be hitting you up in D-town this week!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post

Got any Rainbows?

picked up some CODE RSC for my Single Speed!

I got an email from a gearhead this morning saying:

I wanted to reach out to let you know that in an effort to move some inventory in our warehouse, I was just given clearance to manually discount accessories, components, and even complete bikes and frames. This is fairly unprecedented, as over the past few years we’ve had discount restrictions placed on us by manufacturers, but these were just lifted, and my bosses would like us to clear out some space in our warehouse. With this in mind, if there is anything you’ve had your eye on, or just think it might be time for a new bike or drivetrain, don’t hesitate to let me know, and I’ll see how low I can get prices.
    They must be seriously overstocked. Or put me on a list of people who are price sensitive after biting on their second offer on my Ripmo.

Really the only components I'm interested in right now are shorter cranks as I'm still setting pedal strike records vs. my old bike, but I don't see any 165s available now.

nice to stock up on some rotors for the lady and my bikes, both of which are needing replacement this fall.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I got an email from a gearhead this morning saying:
    Holy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    nice to stock up on some rotors for the lady and my bikes, both of which are needing replacement this fall.
    In 15yrs of riding mtbs w/disc brakes I've never replaced one. Now TGR and Backcountry are conspiring to convince me that I need spares.

I've never worn one down, but I've bent the shit out of one in a crash to the point where no amount of straightening would keep it from rubbing. I looked at the sale and restrained myself. Guessing we will see things getting back to normal in terms of supply and stuff if sales like this keep happening.

Got Shimano rotors down to 1.3 mm on my bike recently and they were bending just about as well as cigarette paper. Not that they're all that sturdy when they're new either...
    Having a stash is nice when you ram one into a rock and they snap when trying to straighten the 30 degree bend... I've discovered from experience that it works a lot better than temporarily stealing a rotor off Ms Boissal's bike and conveniently forgetting to replace it.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Really the only components I'm interested in right now are shorter cranks as I'm still setting pedal strike records vs. my old bike, but I don't see any 165s available now.
    Canfield has 155mm cranks in stock right now. You should pick them up. If you don't like them I'll buy them off you. At a discount, of course. I'm price sensitive : )

I went 20 yrs before wearing a disc rotor down. Usually I bang them off a rock and they are hopelessly bent. On the first day of my Arizona trail ride in 2019 I started hearing a rubbing noise from the rear brake that I wasn't able to fix. Turned out the contact surface was worn down do the point the rotor arms were now contacting the pads and making noise. Seemed super spontaneous it would happen exactly then and not, say in the 2-3 years I'd been running that rotor.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Canfield has 155mm cranks in stock right now. You should pick them up. If you don't like them I'll buy them off you. At a discount, of course. I'm price sensitive : )
    Heh, I'd like to try 155mm cranks, but I also don't really want to buy them blind. It's not generating power that I'd worry about, but rather the extra height I'd need to move my saddle up 2cm, maybe a bit more given I'd likely slide the saddle forward more too to maintain STA. I'm not sure if I'd like that and it might end up making me want to make a wave of other small changes. Trying 165 shimano cranks seems like a cheap compromise way of dipping my toe into things.

FYI, Rakuten cashback looks like it is currently at 10% which beats ActiveJunky

(I also find Rakuten to be less likely to lose track of the transaction and to pay out quickly and easily--and their browser plugin reminds you to turn on cashback when shopping).

I’m debating getting some G2 brakes for my hardtail and trying to decide whether it’s worth spending the extra ~$50 per side on the Ultimate over the RSC. As far as I can tell, the brakes share the same guts and external adjustments, but the Ultimate gets you bearings at the lever blade pivot (vs bushings in the RSC) and carbon lever blades (could be nice for cold weather riding).

Thoughts? Are bearings and carbon lever blades worth the extra money?

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I’m debating getting some G2 brakes for my hardtail and trying to decide whether it’s worth spending the extra ~$50 per side on the Ultimate over the RSC. As far as I can tell, the brakes share the same guts and external adjustments, but the Ultimate gets you bearings at the lever blade pivot (vs bushings in the RSC) and carbon lever blades (could be nice for cold weather riding).

The bearings make the lever feel nicer for sure. Smoother and snappier. Personally I don't really like the feel of carbon blades, but maybe they make sense if you're riding in the cold a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post

It sucks that the the G2 RSC doesn't have the bearings as it really improves lever feel IMO. Personally, I would just fork over the cash and upgrade all the way to Code RSC's the added power and control is worth the small weight/money penalty.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    It sucks that the the G2 RSC doesn't have the bearings as it really improves lever feel IMO. Personally, I would just fork over the cash and upgrade all the way to Code RSC's the added power and control is worth the small weight/money penalty.
    This all triggered me doing more research and I ended up with the G2 Ultimate. I had been really frustrated with my XTs and suspect they may have been a bit of a contributor to my over the bars and destroyed collarbone in 2018.

Has anyone swapped the Carbon levers for the RSC levers? Any experience on how committed that was and any improvements in performance?
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

I ended up looking around a bit more and someone was selling a set of brand new take-off G2 RSCs for about $100 less than Competitive Cyclist. It’s a bit of a shame they don’t have the bearings, but the price was right.