Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What's with the fully padded ski poles?

I mean, I see the advantage when skinning and climbing and stuff. But I see people skiing the WROD with them.

Discuss.

IDK, but my 13 year old insisted he need a pair. I reckon it's an affectation...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

The thought is that its a lighter weight option, that allows the person to not have to mess around with adjustments for going up down, sideways upside down, ext.

When descending you're supposed to choke up on the poles and hold them a coupla inches from the top.

Personally not a fan, but could see the appeal for some folks.

I've walked around with them for a tad while I was on a tour with a buddy, and because they're stiffer they tend to put a little more vibration from the snow into your hands while youre walking. I didn't think it was a big deal but he complaints it was making a weird noise in his ear.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

you can roll your own, literaly

I replaced the bar tape on my CAAD7 and i noticed while the part of the tape that was exposed to my hands was looking ratty the part that was covered up was like new so I rolled it on (wrap from bottom up good side exposed ) to the top section of my Flicklocks and secured with a wrap of electrical tape >5 yrs later still looks good and holds up, costs nothing and works I would do it again

but why ? if you are touring the gripping of that aluminium top section gets cold and being small diameter its harder to grip SO make it bigger/ insulated with a good sized wrap of tape at the bottom means your hand stops at the tape
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Some guy uses them so everbody gotts to have sum.
    watch out for snakes

probably the same people skiing lift serviced runs on touring gear
    Last edited by waxman; 11-05-2022 at 02:12 PM.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Some guy uses them so everbody gotts to have sum.
    Yup.
    I’d rather have stickers and duct tape.

I've lost half a dozen flick-lock style bottoms over the years. Deep snow falls, random breakages, using the bottom to grab a lost ski out of the creek... I'm over adjustable poles. I bought some 125cm fixed length last season and definitely don't mind having 5+cm of pole above my hand when I ski. Aluminum just doesn't break like carbon does, and they are lighter than my carbon adjustable. Win, win.

I also only use rental poles, cut to 118cm in bounds because I abuse the shit out of them and broke poles every year before that, so I might not be the best use case.

The padded poles are ribbed, I'm sure you can figure out why.

It’s a clever ploy to try and eliminate pole straps.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    I've lost half a dozen flick-lock style bottoms over the years. Deep snow falls, random breakages, using the bottom to grab a lost ski out of the creek... I'm over adjustable poles. I bought some 125cm fixed length last season and definitely don't mind having 5+cm of pole above my hand when I ski. Aluminum just doesn't break like carbon does, and they are lighter than my carbon adjustable. Win, win.

I also only use rental poles, cut to 118cm in bounds because I abuse the shit out of them and broke poles every year before that, so I might not be the best use case.
    This is The Answer.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    million to one shot doc, million to one.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    For your pleasure?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I use rebar cut to 115cm. They feel solid.

#10 bar

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

The literal one ski and one pair of poles and one set of all weather tires guy?

Seriously though poles are the cheapest part of the game. Why not have a pair for lift served and a pair for touring or whatever the in-shape people do?

Or perhaps the dude with the padded poles just goes to the resort a couple times a year to work on their getting down the hill skills and we should just cut them a break?
    "Let's be careful out there."

I leave one adjustable pair of aluminium poles all winter in my car. Job done.

I have a set of BD vapor carbon poles.

Big fan.

I just never really adjust my poles - so why bother having adjustable poles.

up - put hands on top of poles.

Sidehill - use foam grip

Skiing down - hold as you would.

I probably run a bit shorter than may be optimal for the skin, but it doesn't seem to change my pace. It is slow and taller poles don't make if much faster and shorter don't make it slower)

Only have one season on them so can't comment on durability but no sign of issues yet.

I am simple man (or simpleton depending on who you ask) and I like simple gear- so these work for me.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...bon-ski-poles/

Answer.. because nobody bothers to use straps (correctly) anymore.. And ya, I get in the trees they gotta be breakaway straps or not used.. strap on... ribbed.. he he he he...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

"flicklock style" could mean a lot of things but I think in this case it means any 2 or 3 piece aluminium pole chosen cuz they are cheaper than real flickocks but not if you buy 5 pair , they definatley do break/ bend pretty easy if you fall on them

the real BD flicklocks with the aluminium top & carbon lower do not break, mine are > 10 yrs old, when i was expediting the flicklock was the #1 pole going into the helo baskette

I think it might be cuz the upper is the right diameter/ length to be strongest and the carbon lower is able to flex, I got flicklocks and some aluminium for the hill

Lol who gives a shit. I've got half a dozen sets of poles. Adjustable and fixed. And I break a pair every year! That's what happens when you suck.

outside of any practical reason, I think SB nailed it. from what I know, alain desez started using these and they caught on in cham (sold as baton d'alain) with steep skiers like paul bonhomme still using them. i guess the style seems to have finally caught on here with a bunch of products like selkirk sticks or folkrym making their versions. im a sucker for this kind of trend and would love a pair.

on a related note there was a video making fun of this trend where a group had these gigantic ski poles with huge grips on them. unfortunately couldnt find it but if someone else knows it, could you post the link here? could use the chuckle.

I can adj my 2 piece poles in 15 seconds for each pole and I can do it while I start out walking so multi tasking eh, but you have to want to change and real change comes from within

Lou dawson was huge proponent of unadjustable poles even tho his spancers were trying to sell them

I haven't bought poles in > 10yars

Not gonna lie I kinda want a set of the folkrms.

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    IDK, but my 13 year old insisted he need a pair. I reckon it's an affectation...
    My 14 year old has a pair because she "wanted poles like Cody has".
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.