Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Yup, I was amazed how well the snow skied today. Really a nice last weekend for me. There is still so much snow I was really surprised.

I’m skiing the resort today. Light blue sun hoodie, maroon OR soft shell pants. Moment DW. Give me a shout if you see me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6537.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	425.1 KB 
ID:	459624
    Rapidly building T-cells to the South and East on the Mtn at 11:45 am.

Name:	IMG_6540.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	593.5 KB 
ID:	459625
    Now have lightning in the area. Closest strike 9 miles away. This could be a short day.

MAMMOTH 22/23 - LIFE'S A BEACH

Name:	IMG_6541.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	346.5 KB 
ID:	459626
    It’s straight up raining now, and what I’m wearing isn’t particularly waterproof. Posted up & out of the rain under the cliff band between ch 5 & ch 3.

Name:	IMG_6542.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	457.8 KB 
ID:	459627
    Looking East from where I’m hitched up past the top of ch 16 towards the Glass mtns. Looking stormy.
    Just heard a clap of Thunder. I’m guessing lifts will be going on hold soon. Making a run for the car.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 05-21-2023 at 05:39 PM.

Name:	IMG_6543.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	601.3 KB 
ID:	459631
    High Five now on lighting hold for the rest of the day. Time to ski down through the rain.

Name:	IMG_6545.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	823.3 KB 
ID:	459632
    Back at the car and I’m soaked. That’s the most rain I’ve skied in all season. When I was a kid in the PNW, this was OPS normal at Stevens Pass & Mt Baker.

Wow!!

Glad you made it back to the car!

I was a bit bummed to get less of a slush season than usual, but I'll get over it! My last trip had such insane wind buff that I can't complain. We've been thinking about doing one more trip, our ski share is done, but we could rent something. But at this point I'm sick of the drive and starting to get back in the water in my free time. I skied Baldy this Saturday to close things out there, and I'm pretty satisfied.

I used to regularly ski in a rain snow mix at Squaw, but rarely out-and-out rain. That is a very cool spot to wait things out.

Glad you are still getting after it. Like I said, I'm probably done. I ended up with 48 days, which is a record since I left the mountains, and my wife got 23, which is a record for her. I might try to get one more trip, she could hit 25 and me 50, but I've hit the point in the year when I'm really weary of the drive.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Thanks for all the shots ESS. Looking at these pics from halfway around the world, I really am starting to consider a late July trip. I land back in the US July 10, and have a few things to deal with for sure, but might get my self out that way for a few days. I really can not believe the depth of the snow.

Has anyone heard anything about summer MTB. With work going on the Canyon side, and the snow up top, I wonder of there will be any MTB this summer at all.
    Ott,

I wish I could give you more concrete details, but I've heard they might have trouble with the bike park this summer. I don't have any actual knowledge of that, just things I've heard on gondi and lift rides from people who may (or may not) know what they are talking about.

I think the skiing should still be pretty solid in late July. The base is just so insane that it wouldn't shock me if you could still ski Hangman's at that point. I haven't been up in two weeks, so things might be melting more than I think, but if there was ever a year for a late July trip this is it.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Beta request: with the thundershowers how is the snow? Is it worthwhile heading down for a morning session on Friday? Looks to be below freezing mid-week...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Hangers Keyhole Option

Some shots from last sunday before all the rain. Snow was soft for sure, but cloud cover kept it manageable. New (to me) spicy option off Hangers, far skiers right past the closed signs there is a notch in the rock that I saw some rippers skiing. Basically ends up a dog leg drop left (or right) coming out hot!

Not the greatest pics but they were from a video my son shot.

Name:	Hangers Keyhole-1.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	459796

Name:	Hangers Keyhole-2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	274.0 KB 
ID:	459797

That is awesome!!

It's always cool to see what little lines pop up in a big year.

I saw some tracks in that area this season. You are making me wish I had checked it out!

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Beta request: with the thundershowers how is the snow? Is it worthwhile heading down for a morning session on Friday? Looks to be below freezing mid-week...
    I skied yesterday and today. It's good. Everyone is having fun on the snow surface.

Today:
    First chair at 7:30am it's firm enough so that nobody is really carving a clean edge except real racers with real race skis. By 8:30am, some of the sun-facing runs are soft enough for clean carves. By 9:30am, although many runs haven't thawed out yet, a few sun-baked runs are already past their prime. After that, you just try different zones with intent to time it for whatever surfaces you like. Of course, eventually it's all slush, but still fun until 3pm close.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

^^^^ that describes a lot of the late season skiing I typically do at Mammoth. It's weird, because at 10am, I'm typically thinking, I'm gonna call it quits at lunch time and then I never take lunch and I'm trying to squeeze in as many laps as possible at closing time nears. Then I crash in th e parking lot after a beer.

How much rain did many get yesterday?

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

How much rain did mammoth get yesterday?

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    How much rain did mammoth get yesterday?
    Zero rain yesterday. Never even looked like any threat of rain. Just a sunny fun day.

Today's forecast says chance of rain at some point, but right now the sky looks like a greater chance of no rain at all...I'm hoping for just the typical 4pm Sierra on/off chance of brief thunderstorm (after lifts close).

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Name:	IMG_20230423_111237514.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	459973
    what event was this used for. Thing is huge.
    off your knees Louie

A few news segments stitched together covering Mammoth in 1980 with some good footage.

Interesting how some things haven't changed while some have changed so significantly.

https://youtu.be/iw9N93JC-HA

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Was hoping to catch a glimpse of the massive lift lines on Chair 3 we endured back then. Nice shot of old chair 1 tho - minus the ramp of death

Name:	IMG_6615.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	998.7 KB 
ID:	460021
    The storms stayed just East of the Mtn and Thursday ended up being a pretty good day. Skied form 8:00 am til 2:45 pm, got in a ton of runs and never waited in line.

Name:	IMG_6580.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	460022
    Early morning Ch 2.

Name:	IMG_6584.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	897.7 KB 
ID:	460023
    Ch 5. Public on the left, and racers on the right.

Name:  IMG_6583.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  94.2 KB
    There are some ripping junior racers out on the hill these days. Liking the symmetry in this skiers stance.

Name:	IMG_6599.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	869.5 KB 
ID:	460025
    The lookers left side of Daves skied well for a few runs early in the day.

Name:	IMG_6597.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	813.2 KB 
ID:	460026
    This piece of snow had some fun corn snow on it. I skied on past the top of Daves and this drops you down just to the skiers right of the ch 9 top shack.

Name:	IMG_6611.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	460027
    Mid morning gondola lines at McCoy. I would expect business to ramp up over the upcoming holiday weekend.

Name:	IMG_6613.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1,010.3 KB 
ID:	460028
    Any place that has a course set on it earlier in the day gets salted and skis well till the end of the day.
    Back out today and enjoy the mtn.

Maybe a dumb question...

Does anyone know if the approach to Hole in the Wall (from Top of Gondola) can be skied currently without stepping on any dry rock/dirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Maybe a dumb question...

Does anyone know if the approach to Hole in the Wall (from Top of Gondola) can be skied currently without stepping on any dry rock/dirt?

Check out this clip from Miles @snowbrains. It looks like they did it two days ago. As for the approach to it by way of Dave’s Wave, unsure.

MAMMOTH 22/23 - LIFE'S A BEACH

I’ve seen a couple HiW clips this week so it def still goes

Thanks for the replies!
    A friend is visiting this weekend, who is capable of skiing Hole in the Wall, but I don't want to put her through a bunch of scrambling on dry rock/dirt. ...Maybe I'll take a solo run on it tomorrow to scout it and be sure...

What a difference from Memorial Day two years ago. I tried to take the 2023 shots from as close to the 2021 photos as possible.

Name:	IMG_6622.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	641.9 KB 
ID:	460191
    Memorial day (closing) weekend May 2021. Some epic snow farming to be able to ski to the bottom of Stump Alley. Note mtb'er in the bottom right corner of pic. Uptown, Downtown & Paper Route were fully rideable.

Name:	IMG_6660.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	556.8 KB 
ID:	460197
    Memorial Day weekend 2023.

Name:	Image-1 2.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	676.1 KB 
ID:	460193
    May 28, 2021.

Name:	IMG_6623.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	855.9 KB 
ID:	460194
    May 26, 2023

Name:	IMG_1822 2.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	696.9 KB 
ID:	460195
    2021. By the end of that day the "Strip" was equal parts mud & snow.

Name:	IMG_B132CA017D2E-1.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	371.3 KB 
ID:	460196
    2023. Good times and another two+ months of skiing left.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6617.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	460192  

So rad!