Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Sometimes even 7 AM.
    Or so I was told, because I sure wasn't getting out that early.

Mono County SO

Things we shouldn't have to say, but obviously we do because here we are:
    There have been reports of people skiing across the avalanche site in Lee Vining. In efforts to clear the roadway, the crews have to blast the area continuously and without warning. This creates slides in which a skier may become trapped, injured, or killed. Besides being dangerous and downright stupid, these foolish activities delay the desperately needed clearance of our only north/south route. Stay out of the way!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

For reelz Mike? Darwin recipients.

Foolish activities? This aggression will not stand!!
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    For reelz Mike? Darwin recipients.
    As I said on Mono Sherrif's FB page to all the people that said that. You're taking the word of a Sheriff's office (notorious liars (police in general)) retelling reports from CalTrans (notorious for not liking BC skiers), and then imagining the worst. It could easily have been someone skinning across the shoreline of the lake well under the road. it could have been someone that actually had to get to Lee Vining for legitimate needs. It could have been someone recreating nearby safely out of the way that CalTrans decided to call out. Equally likely is someone got out there super early and CalTrans saw the tracks and that equals reports of skiers.
    And of course it could have been someone acting stupidly but there's no reason to jump right to that based on the info given.
    Last edited by powdork; 03-14-2023 at 01:07 AM.

Been snowing here since about 8am. Got out for a few laps and it was surfy & soft. Pretty wet snow but this storm seems jus ta tad cooler than the last one.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    As I said on Mono Sherrif's FB page to all the people that said that. You're taking the word of a Sheriff's office (notorious liars (police in general)) retelling reports from CalTrans (notorious for not liking BC skiers), and then imagining the worst. It could easily have been someone skinning across the shoreline of the lake well under the road. it could have been someone that actually had to get to Lee Vining for legitimate needs. It could have been someone recreating nearby safely out of the way that CalTrans decided to call out. Equally likely is someone got out there super early and CalTrans saw the tracks and that equals reports of skiers.
    And of course it could have been someone acting stupidly but there's no reason to jump right to that based on the info given.
    . I appreciate the snarky posts by Mono lately. As I said in the Tahoe thread, Gen pop is fucking stupid. All y’all that live in the areas involved sure as hell know this. Perhaps the issue with the highway is over blown but who cares? Anyone with half a brain is not going to add to the seemingly giant task of clearing that road by getting in the way or whatever. Personally, I’d like them to be successful sooner that later so I can get to Mammoth and all parts south of that and I’m sure Mammoth folks would like to get to Costco.

Trader Joe’s actually. I don’t give a fuck about Costco

doesn’t matter

if you’ve shopped well at either one you should be good to go for a month at least

if not, you’re just sport shopping
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Here's some heli footage of the 395 carnage.

https://twitter.com/ActiveNorCal/sta...213557248?s=20

It's been raining steadily in June Lake since early afternoon and is currently 39 degrees. Mammoth summit winds averaging 99 mph with gust to 136 mph last hour.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Been snowing here since about 8am. Got out for a few laps and it was surfy & soft. Pretty wet snow but this storm seems jus ta tad cooler than the last one.
    Nice!!

I hope this storm does end up with a lower snow level.

We were planning on going up Friday morning and skiing Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We might decide to go with Thursday through Saturday instead and try to catch things opening on Thursday. If we arrive to late on Thursday morning to get the top popping we can hopefully get stuff that's not too cut up.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Well, it started colder than expected and finished wetter than expected. Super manky snowpack today in the backcountry between 8-10k. The mtn ops though continue to impress with what they got open today. Seems like they might get the upper mtn open tomorrow?
    .))
    .))

Frush, did you see that photo of a chair mid span on 12 buried? Fuck me the snow must be deep.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-03-15 164213.png
Views: 1227
Size:  682.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Frush, did you see that photo of a chair mid span on 12 buried? Fuck me the snow must be deep.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-03-15 164213.png
Views: 1227
Size:  682.7 KB
    That's an awesome shot, but there was another in the same post and you can see that's a drift that only buried that chair or possibly another one or two. Well composed shot for max effect and gonna take a bit to get it running.

Seen the picts where you now have to walk down to get to Main Lodge upper deck? I haven't seen that one before.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Regardless of drifts, marketing doesn't have to work too hard, it IS DEEP. I felt like I was gonna get my head chopped off several times while skiing under Chs 8 & 16 over the past couple of days.
    .))
    .))

That shot is insane. As is the footage of 395.

Group Buy for next year's passes is now open. PM me for details. Renewals, please join, as you purchase will contribute to helping out other maggots. It takes less than 5 minutes of your time.

And I'm so FOMO with this season. But I did MTB 60 miles of jungle this week. Saw 80kg wild boar and a meter long monitor lizard. and monkeys. so there is that. Can't wait to be back for next winter, although ya'll should pay me to move tot he equator for another winter. See what happens?

Check out this house at the bottom of the Sherwins

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230316_161320.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	452164

For those not familiar with the Outpost Lodge, the deck is usually about 6 feet over my head. Now it is a walk down to it. I have never seen the snow that deep there.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-03-17 071851.png
Views: 904
Size:  574.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Saw some IG video this morning of a collapsed parking structure with a bunch of cars in it....looked like some flat-roofed building that could be stand-alone. Sucks...

Jesus H. Has it snowed much this year??? Nice to see some familiar faces still gettin’ after it.

Since mid February I've been on an extended road trip visiting friends & Family and managed to ski nine different areas across four different states, so today was my first day back out at Mammoth in awhile. I had a blast storm skiing solo from noon til closing as the new snow made for some good skiing.

I'll go ahead and state the obvious, the drive down from Reno F@cking sucks right now. Drive time was just over 5 hours, double my normal time. Hopefully 395 will re-open asap, at least for the sake of the citizens of Mono City.

Name:	IMG_5636.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	639.4 KB 
ID:	452529
    With the cloudy skys and lack of light today, these two pics of the chair line of the Broadway Ex don't show the amount of cat work thats been done in Gravy Chute.

Name:	IMG_5637.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	534.3 KB 
ID:	452530
    Great job Mammoth Cat Crew.

Name:  IMG_5665.JPG
Views: 546
Size:  98.0 KB
    Saw this photo (not mine) the other day. Unreal.

Name:	IMG_5649.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	449.4 KB 
ID:	452532
    This is whats still visible of Mid Chalet poking up through the snow.

Name:	IMG_5651.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	452533
    This is the entrance to the Parallax side of McCoys.

Name:	IMG_5644.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	900.1 KB 
ID:	452534
    Looking down at the Main Lodge sun deck from 6 ft above.

Name:	IMG_5647.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	824.7 KB 
ID:	452535
    View from the sun deck of the snow height in front of the deck. Unreal.

Name:	IMG_5639.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	857.1 KB 
ID:	452536
    The skiing got better and better as the snow started to add up and the wind swirled it around.

Name:	IMG_5641.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	452537
    Lots of fun lines off the back of ch 1.

Name:	IMG_5662.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	607.3 KB 
ID:	452538
    Last chair on Canyon Ex just after 4:00. By then the mtn was empty.

Name:	IMG_5663.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	452539
    Last run of the day was my best run of the day. Just checked the ski patrol sight (3:30 am) and it's showing 16" of new snow. Monday should be good. See you out there!

Mammoth still needs about 35" to break the all time record, of 668.5" season total. Think we'll get there?

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Mammoth still needs about 35" to break the all time record, of 668.5" season total. Think we'll get there?
    100%. Going to get super close this week even though the totals seem to be revised down a bit...

Driving up on Thursday with the family, should be a nice one!

I think I saw a ghost this morning coming out of the clouds. The sun was out for about 6 hrs and the upper Mtn looks amazing. Currently the clouds have rolled back in and for my last run today it has started to snow as the next storm is pushing into the area.

Name:	2E3C601D-FCC8-4072-A8EE-035929A2C524.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	452595
    Hangmans & Varmint’s looking about as fat as I can ever remember.

Name:	38A86D0D-FC2A-4AA9-8851-9FEF85C40201.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	333.8 KB 
ID:	452597
    Dave’s & Top of the World look all time. Next chance got the Top maybe Friday?🤞🏻

Great morning skiing 18” of fresh pow.