Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Skied this past week drove back yesterday. Mountain looking fat is a nice way to put it ESS

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

MAMMOTH 22/23 - LIFE'S A BEACH

Out on the hill today under sunny skies, light crowds and the 5th straight day of howling NE winds that kept the windchill temperature
    below zero all day over the Top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5052.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	444605
    The winds have done some damage to the snow. Dropout side of 23.

Name:	IMG_5051.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	444606
    Wipeout looking moon scaped. Bummer as the skiing really good on the Top prior to this.

Name:	IMG_5055.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	444607
    A view of the winds ripping upslope on Cornice. After the drop into Cornice, the groomed section skied well. The lower Mtn and the Avi chutes continue to ski well with little to no wind affect.

Name:	IMG_5065.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	444608
    Looks like some type of junior races going on this week. Lots of young talented skiers were laying down some arcs today as seen by their tracks here on Ralphies.

Name:	IMG_5066.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	444609
    It's a downhill to the 2nd floor entrance by the Sports Shop at Main Lodge.

Name:	IMG_5070.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	487.7 KB 
ID:	444610
    Canyon Express at 1:00 pm. One nice thing about today was the lack of people. Least crowded day I've seen in sometime.
    Lower mtn groomers are super fun to get on and arc turns, especially with no crowds. The Top needs a re-set. j
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 01-26-2023 at 12:30 PM.

Mammoth mags, I'm starting to think ahead about spring skiing: what can I realistically expect to be open by ~first week of May given the current snowpack (and assuming the storm door doesn't close completely like last year)? Looks like Eagle and Canyon closed April 28 in 2019, the most recent big snow year (couldn't find 2017 closing dates). So probably safe to assume that side of the mountain will be done by then, right? I remember skiing chair 13-14 mid May in 2017 so hopefully they can keep those open.

Probably... the snow melts pretty fast on the south side of the hill come late April. They might push Canyon closing a bit.

This is the year to try to extend so far, that's for sure.

I think they eventually farm that snow over to the other side for big jumps, race camps and whatnot.

That said, I saw them building jumps last week that they usually don't have enough snow to build until a little later in the season, I believe.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The lifts at Canyon and Eagle won't be running, but chair 5 and 10 may very well be, especially of weekends. Better yet, they are closed and then you can hike Lincoln for some corn turns...bring avi gear. Probably the same on chair13 and 14.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

MAMMOTH 22/23 - LIFE'S A BEACH

Thursday was pretty much a repeat of the past few days, with maybe a little less NE wind and G2 ran in the pm.

Name:	9C92866F-3377-484D-B951-EFDF21149421.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	989.4 KB 
ID:	444814
    The groomers are skiing really well so I broke out the Brahma’s. At
    84 mm waist these are by far the narrowest ski I’ve been on all season. Super fun to carve around.

Name:	5CF62F3C-FDCD-4272-BBA2-C95039AC2E62.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	658.9 KB 
ID:	444815
    Avi chutes continue to ski well and the entrances are easy to get into.

Name:	7AD4D0C7-69C8-4CD4-B4DF-EEA13EA74304.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	474.0 KB 
ID:	444816
    Skied all the Avi’s, including one that I haven’t in a few seasons,
    Avi 2.5. Good snow and something different.

Name:	977AFB88-5765-4511-A858-CC8A26C2BA46.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	622.9 KB 
ID:	444817
    With the week of NE winds I decided to checkout Fresno bowl.
    This is the top section right off the Gondola top shack.

Name:	0510FBEA-D663-4A67-8284-7D37AB0307B7.jpg 
Size:	526.4 KB 
ID:	444818
    This makes it very obvious.

Name:	2F0C8141-03D2-4F22-B8AC-9430F442B455.jpg 
Size:	661.2 KB 
ID:	444819
    This is the first section, just past the sign. It was smooth, wind
    deposited snow.

Name:	06EF22FD-FACB-470A-AF30-34AB34744A1A.jpg 
Size:	426.4 KB 
ID:	444822
    This is the view looking back up from just about where you go hard right and traverse back to ch 14. Hike out was packed and an easy push out.

Good day of skiing with empty runs and the lower Mtn skiing really well.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 01-28-2023 at 01:28 AM.

Looks awesome - I was thinking about making the drive up soon, Mammoth groomer ripping is real fun. Thanks for always sharing photos and conditions beta!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Attachment 443339
    Sitting in my truck in the ch 2 lot. Only chair running at ML is Discovery chair. Top of Broadway Exp just had an 80 mph gust. Might have to head down to Canyon.
    somewhere I read you use to be a poodle at hutt 2…. Did you know David drake? If so what’s he up to these days? Cool guy ripper too

What’s a poodle?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Poodle = ski instructor

Quote Originally Posted by whitekingsalmon View Post
    somewhere I read you use to be a poodle at hutt 2…. Did you know David drake? If so what’s he up to these days? Cool guy ripper too
    Last I heard Dave lives in San Luis Obispo area, he's married, and I think he was doing physical therapy (maybe). He was (is) a ripping skier, one of the most naturally talented skiers I've ever skied with. Last time I bumped into him was in the ch 2 line. He was skiing with no poles because he had forgotten his, so we went by the locker room and I hooked him up with some poles for the rest of the day. I did see an old clip of him on Dan McConnell's Mammoth channel out ripping some wind buff back in the day.

Today was one of my best days of the season. Really nice light and dry dust on crust maybe 5 to 8 inches worth that was just a delight to ski on. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Today was one of my best days of the season. Really nice light and dry dust on crust maybe 5 to 8 inches worth that was just a delight to ski on. Looking forward to tomorrow.
    Glad to hear it was fun!

Where were you skiing? Did the wind ridges up top fill-in?

I'm figuring this was probably not enough snow for that, but I can always hope. More snow and some SW wind might cure it, but we all have to be pumped on the snowpack.

We will probably go up either this weekend, or perhaps next weekend or a mid-week trip.

I hope some of you socal guys have gotten some Baldy days, great coverage right now.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Did not ski the top so no idea LDD. After getting a concussion a few weeks ago I am being very careful.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Did not ski the top so no idea LDD. After getting a concussion a few weeks ago I am being very careful.
    Wow, makes sense.

Have fun up there and be careful
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post

Name:	IMG_5065.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	444608
    Looks like some type of junior races going on this week. Lots of young talented skiers were laying down some arcs today as seen by their tracks here on Ralphies.

j
    Yup, U16 Far West GS races going down then. Mini Comish was stoked to finally get some racing in after all the cancelations from the early season.

N wind definitely did a job on the top last week.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Who's going up this weekend? Sat/Sun looks interesting. Going to be there Sunday-Tuesday for sure, trying to find place to stay Fri/Sat to make it a long one. Going to be up pres day weekend too with my cousin for the gong show so that should be fun....

I'm heading up Saturday - Monday. Maybe stay till Tuesday. Bishop for Saturday night looks like the move since everything in Mammoth seems booked up.

Anyone have any advice on where to car camp in mammoth given the heavy snow and a low clearance car?

I hear the scenic route is fine normally, but right now I imagine there are probably giant walls of snow on the side of the road.

I see various BLM roads I can go on off the 395, but those are probably covered in snow too right now correct?

Anybody in town now, or in the next few days that can snap some pictures of a house on Canyon for me?

Normally I am up often enough to keep the driveway reasonably clear, but I spent the last month skiing CO and IT, so missed the whole atmospheric river cycle and shudder to think how buried the house is. I just help the owner who has had a series of surgeries the last few seasons and has been limited to summer trips lately. He just had a knee replacement at the end of December.

If possible, shoot me a PM for the address. Much appreciated and thanks in advance.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Anybody in town now, or in the next few days that can snap some pictures of a house on Canyon for me?

Normally I am up often enough to keep the driveway reasonably clear, but I spent the last month skiing CO and IT, so missed the whole atmospheric river cycle and shudder to think how buried the house is. I just help the owner who has had a series of surgeries the last few seasons and has been limited to summer trips lately. He just had a knee replacement at the end of December.

If possible, shoot me a PM for the address. Much appreciated and thanks in advance.
    For sure. Whats the address?

Just sent you a text.

Got the pictures I needed, thanks

iscariot

Out on the Mtn the last two days (Wed & Thurs) enjoying the lack of crowds, empty runs, no lift lines anywhere, and a couple of nice days with no NE winds. Off piste the skiing has been ok, not great but not horrible. The small storm from the other day wasn't enough to do anything with the wind ripped snow up high. The Top needs a re-set, but the lower mtn continues to ski well with hero groomers everywhere. By noon today a West wind was blowing 30 mph+ over the Top and the skiing did get better as windblown started to fill in in places like Daves, Dry Creek, Cornice. Here's a few pics from yesterday and today.

Name:	IMG_5121.jpg 
Size:	805.5 KB 
ID:	445849
    I had just got onto 395 South yesterday morning and this is the first thing i saw. The driver was standing by watching his ride burn.

Name:	IMG_5122.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	445851
    Lower part of the face of ch 5 yesterday was a mix of skied out pow and old bumps.

Name:	IMG_5124.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	445853
    Top section of the face of ch 5 was more of the same. Got better today with some wind on it.

Name:	IMG_5126.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	445854
    Climax on Wednesday in that "in between" stage of new and old snow.

Name:	IMG_5127.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	445855
    This is the backside of the Top of ch 3 (note gondola in upper right corner). At the top of ch 3, someone climbed up behind the top shack and skied off the back and left tracks where I don't ever remember seeing tracks before. Well done.

Name:	IMG_5142.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	445864
    Today. Late afternoon Avi 3 got good with the wind on it.

Name:	IMG_5143.jpg 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	445867
    Looking back up Avi 3.

Name:	IMG_5149.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	445868
    The Top at 3:30 with just enough cloud cover to make the light go flat.

Name:	IMG_5153.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	839.1 KB 
ID:	445869
    Got snow?

Name:	IMG_5156.jpg 
Size:	742.6 KB 
ID:	445870
    The mtn from Sherwin Creek road tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Got the pictures I needed, thanks
    No worrries! Hope they were what you were looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by dreuben View Post
    Anyone have any advice on where to car camp in mammoth given the heavy snow and a low clearance car?

I hear the scenic route is fine normally, but right now I imagine there are probably giant walls of snow on the side of the road.

I see various BLM roads I can go on off the 395, but those are probably covered in snow too right now correct?
    Yo,
    Congratulations on your 1st post! Go into your account profile and check your messages. I sent you one. If you don’t see it let me know.
    Cheers