Question Montreal Recommendations?

I'm headed to check out Montreal for a 4 day weekend with a few cousins that I haven't seen in a while. We're staying a few blocks from Notre Dame and we have tickets to a Habs game.

I'm really excited to see a Habs game in person. I'm also a fan of poutine, but I've never been east of Regina within Canada.

Anyone have any food/ art/ culture/ sightseeing/ drinking/ sports/ or activities recommendations? We get in on a Thursday evening and leave Monday AM.

Le Club Supersex on Rue Ste. Catherine. You’re welcome.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Dieu du Ciel is a great brew pub. I haven't eaten there but their beer is top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post

Lol. The 80s called, they want their tv add back.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post

Sugarloafer, is that you?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Great walking city, hopefully weather is ok… but prepare for the worst!
    Hike up mt royal
    Walk around old port and river walk
    Walk around la plateau - mt royal ave has lots of bistros, coffee shops
    Several huge and fun food markets - Atwater, jean talon
    Saint Patrick’s is another historic church, Irish immigrant church
    Christmas markets prob not started yet
    Smoked meats are a thing
    Check if any festivals (film, art) are going on
    St catherines is not what it used to be, now mostly a construction project and said club is no longer
    Go Habs!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I'm headed to check out Montreal for a 4 day weekend with a few cousins that I haven't seen in a while. We're staying a few blocks from Notre Dame and we have tickets to a Habs game.

I'm really excited to see a Habs game in person. I'm also a fan of poutine, but I've never been east of Regina within Canada.

Anyone have any food/ art/ culture/ sightseeing/ drinking/ sports/ or activities recommendations? We get in on a Thursday evening and leave Monday AM.
    I think super sex is closed, but have never been and haven't been downtown in a while.

Do you mean you are staying a few blocks from the notre dame basilica (church)? There are a lot of things called notre dame in Montreal.

Here are a few things:

- The weekend wx looks pretty nice so if you are feeling sporty a walk up to the top of mount royal via the olmstead path is nice. Also walking around old Montreal down by the waterfront can be pretty nice.

- plus 1 on Dieu du Ciel, but I walked by there the other day and it looks like they are renovating it so i think its closed right now. An alternative is just next door on the corner of Saint Laurent Blvd and Laurier is pretty good. That neighborhood is called Mile End and there is a bunch of good stuff within those few blocks check out Fairmount Street, Saint-Viateur, and Bernard. Full of restaurants and bars and hipsters. Bishop and Bagg is a pretty good pub/eatery. You can also check out Nouveau Palais on Bernard for late night eats. Mile end is also where you find bagels.
    - The Plateu section of Saint Laurent BLVD is also pretty lively, That's where you can hit up Schwartz' for smoked meat sandwhiches and a bunch of bars like Barbosa, Blue Dog, Champs... all withing walking distance with young people getting wasted.
    - Poutine: People consistently cite La Banquise as the best poutine in town. I disagree, but what do i know. It's a little farther east on Rachel Street, which has a nice bike path. Take a bixi and pedal over there. My favorite poutine is PatatiPatata also on Saint Laurent BLVD corner of Rachel.
    - There are a bunch of museum's, I think there is some kind of Basquiat exhibit and the fine arts museum right now (Musée des beaux arts de Montreal or MBAM)

This is the website for our weekly rag (i think it's monthly now): https://cultmtl.com/
    It's legit, I back their recommendations.

If I think of anything else i will add it here. It might be worth a search there have been a few mags who've come up here and asked for recommendations, might be a few threads floating around with good recommendations.
    27° 18°

+1 on Schwartz.

Les Amazones would be the strip club to hit up if you were so inclined
    27° 18°

We stayed at the Ritz for $99 a night through this promo 15 years ago

https://www.mtl.org/en/deals/fall-sweet-deals

Notre Dame is a long ass street. What neighborhood? There is a lot of good food besides Poutine and Schwartz's, especially Italian.

This is kind of shoulder season. The weather looks good for outside stuff, especially eating and drinking and long walks, and not so much to sharpen my skates or wax skis.

Bixis should get you around the whole time, download the app to make it a little less annoying to find bikes and stations. Since you know this before the trip, you may as well throw a bike helmet and light gloves for night rides in the bag. If you want wine, the SAQ has pretty good deals on French juice for some reason even with the currency. The dollar is strong anyway so it's like the whole city is 30% off. Grams of weed start at like 5$ at the sqdc.

"The mountain" is definitely nice for hanging out or trail running but it's not the only park. Ile de la visitation is nice for stroll too, Jarry, La Fontaine, and more. There are also a lot of new skate parks (free) and bouldering gyms (not free), and some new boulders to check out at Olympic Stadium (free). Biodome will be crazy crowded on the weekend, it's nice with kids but I would avoid without.
    Last edited by ex-powderbroker; 11-01-2022 at 09:11 AM.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Thanks everyone!

Couple clarification points-

We're staying a few blocks from Notre Dame Basilica- cross streets are roughly Notre Dame and Rue-Saint Pierre. (David Hotel)

Not sure what neighborhood that is exactly, but it looked close to many things.

Also, we'll be there next weekend, not this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Thanks everyone!

Couple clarification points-

We're staying a few blocks from Notre Dame Basilica- cross streets are roughly Notre Dame and Rue-Saint Pierre. (David Hotel)

Not sure what neighborhood that is exactly, but it looked close to many things.

Also, we'll be there next weekend, not this weekend.
    Ah ok, so you’re in the heart of old Montreal then. That is not too far from downtown. Many of the recommendations we gave are a bit more uptown.

If you go to Saint Laurent Blvd you can take the 55 bus to get uptown pretty quickly or metro on the orange line to Mount Royal metro.

Little Italy is also a good time (beaubien metro or a little further up on the 55). Here are a couple of good streets in Little Italy.

- Saint Zotique street has some really nice restos. Lapin for fancy eats, just let the waiter pair meals and wines for you; Pumpui for the best Thai in town; San Gennaro has good pizza coffee and pastries;

- on Saint Laurent BLVD Cafe Italia is classic Italian coffee and Louis bakery across the street is good. Vice Versa is an excellent brewery with an amazing beer selection good food next to a really sweet little park.

- Beaubien street just a block south of Saint zotique is a good time. Brasserie Beaubien is a fun watering hole with pool and live music; pizza bouquet has some of the best slices in town and there are a bunch of fun night spots on that street.
    27° 18°

Olive and Gourmando early for brunch is great (or le cartet if you don't want to wait although it isn't quite as unique).

L'express any other time is a nice option

Lots of good restaurants in old port i never get to though.

Mon Lapin is quite good as Danmelon said, they have a collaboration cider with a place in Frelighsburgh that I would walk out with a case of if they would let me. Cider is really good here, not the shit in cans but really dry stuff in glass that doesn't go out for export.

we did this Labor Day weekend. https://fitzmontreal.com/

Good overview of the city.

2 good farmer's markets are worth checking out too. One is near the canals, right by the bike path that runs along the canal. Messorem was a cool pub over in that part of town.

Jatoba has amazing food/ambience. Burgundy Lion is a great pub, amazing food and great drinks. It's always cold as fuck when I'm there so bring a heavy weight puffy!!

I’ve heard good things about Timmy Hortons

Thanks, everyone! I love dry cider and it is so hard to find in the states. I'm excited to track some down. Thai and Italian both sound good. Hard to find good Thai or Italian here in remote Idaho, so very much looking forward to that. If weather is good biking sounds great.

Tim Hortons used to be pretty good. Sad to see that they've gone downhill in my past couple Canada trips

Are these the cousins? I think I saw them at Grand Prix...