Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    All the impacted molars and vestige wisdom teeth in one video. Impressed, not impressed.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    No clue who the Random dude was making the wiggle turns, but I happened to have my phone out, so he made the edit

https://youtube.com/shorts/wqfWNy0k7-s?feature=share

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    [VID]https://youtube.com/shorts/wqfWNy0k7-s?feature=share[/VID]
    That dude was straight crushing. Cruise control…

2022-23 Aspen/Roaring Fork Valley Conditions

Sought out some final miles on the MTB yesterday, but hopefully some turns today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1668357374.941979.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	431.7 KB 
ID:	433737
    Last edited by alpinevibes; 11-13-2022 at 11:22 AM.

T2Bs
    No through skiing down Copper. If I make it up with the kids, Copper side could be fun, as the couch is a good place to play games with them.

Surprised Max Park and around to sams doesn't have enough snow yet. they were also really close to having enough snow to open one run on Alpine Springs....

I have to imagine these temps will get a bunch more open.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Surprised Max Park and around to sams doesn't have enough snow yet. they were also really close to having enough snow to open one run on Alpine Springs....

Due to their E-SE exposure, Max Park and Lunchline get hammered by the sun.

Alpine Springs rarely opens before the Highlands opener.

I don’t usually ski Snowmass much, till after Christmas. I’ll be at the bucket early everyday, for the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Due to their E-SE exposure, Max Park and Lunchline get hammered by the sun.

Alpine Springs rarely opens before the Highlands opener.

I don’t usually ski Snowmass much, till after Christmas. I’ll be at the bucket early everyday, for the next couple of weeks.

I get the aspect portion of it.. It's just a LOT of acres to eat up skiers.

My comment re: alpine springs comes from the fact they had made a bunch of snow on it last week. It was just a bit of a surprise. I'm not 100% sure where that water comes from (ziegler, or an on mountain spot, etc).

I'll be at the bucket more this year as my desk is either in Basalt or Aspen now for work, not near the airport. I'll tend to be up in Aspen when the schedule allows.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

What an opener! Skied with the kids all day.
    6 year old got his first Blondies lap

Name:	8H0A0579.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	855.7 KB 
ID:	434738

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Sought out some final miles on the MTB yesterday, but hopefully some turns today

Name:	Image1668357374.941979.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	431.7 KB 
ID:	433737
    Worthy choice! One of my favorites.

Fantastic opener!

Cudo’s to Travis, the new mountain manager. He made the call to open Copper, so that we could ski the back this weekend! They will probably close it Monday, so they can make more snow. But it was really nice to have it open.
    We are really fortunate that Skico management puts a quality ski experience, above all else.

We are really fortunate that Skico management puts a quality ski experience, above all else.
    The more I look around other mountains the more I appreciate this.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

I’m hoping they replace Mike, from within. Having skiers in charge is paramount.
    We don’t need no stinking bean counters.

The more I look around other mountains the more I appreciate this.
    Yeah... everytime I visit, I notice how remarkable the skier's experience is. Will be back in early March.

I’m hoping they replace Mike, from within. Having skiers in charge is paramount.
    We don’t need no stinking bean counters.

I am becoming increasingly disillusioned with the direction the Skico appears to be headed.

There have always been lots of rich and famous people here, but they blended in and became part of the community. They would see a lifestyle and culture that appealed to them and would immerse themselves into it.

No one used to care who was rich or famous, it was about the common and shared love of skiing and music and athletics and arts and music and culture and eating and drinking.

I believe it was called the Aspen ideal or some such thing. Mind, body, spirit.

And they would show up for a couple of songs apres ski at the Continental Inn, or perform at benefits, or just be someone at the Red Onion or the Jerome watching the Broncos.

Increasingly there are more and more opportunities for the rich to publicly separate themselves from the general public to openly demonstrate how much money they can afford to waste.
    It started with the private clubs but has now expanded to the the Aspen X store, the Cabanas, and the continuing abomination that is Cloud 9.

The ASC seems all to eager to embrace and further this shift.

Mike has done a great job and leaves a proud legacy, and is likely getting out at a good time.
    Unfortunately, he will probably be replaced by someone who is not born of ski culture but can speak in all those fashionable marketing buzzwords.

Yes, when you ski at other places you see that our level of guest service and focus on the skiing as opposed to the bottom line is superior. No question.

That will hopefully continue, but likely in an increasingly soulless $$$ driven fashion. I fear the golden era of life here is fading.

Of course, it is still way better than most other places!

Quote Originally Posted by jummo View Post
    I am becoming increasingly disillusioned with the direction the Skico appears to be headed.

There have always been lots of rich and famous people here, but they blended in and became part of the community. They would see a lifestyle and culture that appealed to them and would immerse themselves into it.

No one used to care who was rich or famous, it was about the common and shared love of skiing and music and athletics and arts and music and culture and eating and drinking.

I believe it was called the Aspen ideal or some such thing. Mind, body, spirit.

And they would show up for a couple of songs apres ski at the Continental Inn, or perform at benefits, or just be someone at the Red Onion or the Jerome watching the Broncos.

Increasingly there are more and more opportunities for the rich to publicly separate themselves from the general public to openly demonstrate how much money they can afford to waste.
    It started with the private clubs but has now expanded to the the Aspen X store, the Cabanas, and the continuing abomination that is Cloud 9.

The ASC seems all to eager to embrace and further this shift.

Mike has done a great job and leaves a proud legacy, and is likely getting out at a good time.
    Unfortunately, he will probably be replaced by someone who is not born of ski culture but can speak in all those fashionable marketing buzzwords.

Yes, when you ski at other places you see that our level of guest service and focus on the skiing as opposed to the bottom line is superior. No question.

That will hopefully continue, but likely in an increasingly soulless $$$ driven fashion. I fear the golden era of life here is fading.

Of course, it is still way better than most other places!
    I'm about 60% of the way to this.

I think it's partially a yes and.

There are still plenty of folks that try to come and blend and feel that OG spirit. Just not many places left to do that.

The next part of it is a chicken and egg thing. which came first, the rich person looking for a private experience, or the private experiences looking to make rich peoples wallets lighter.

ASC puts out those cabanas AND still has boot packing benefits for ski bums looking to earn a pass.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

yo. Just moved to Carbondale from Evergreen. Been a long time member to Powder days, couldn't remember how to log in as that user.

Anyhow. Be good to meet up with some of you all. I office out of Snowmass Village Center most days. Be up for meeting to do some fitness laps or laps in general. Or beers in general. Have been doing yo-yo laps Front Range area last few years with some friends that were GT training. When I resorted mostly Loveland, lots WP and others.

Welcome to Flatlander#3.

I didn't mean to cast a pallor on the thread with my observation about the recent changes to our community.
    It is still way better than most other places. Part of my discontent may be related to my impending knee surgery which lets me work but other stuff, not so much. And that my life of leisure is over for another six months. There is a reason it's called work.
    I did manage a few laps at the flagship mountain today. Don't tell Dr. Purnell. It was great to be out ,but also to confirm that yes, things need fixing.
    Coverage is quite good and its great to have the lifts spinning, this is a big part of it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by jummo View Post
    Welcome to Flatlander#3.

I didn't mean to cast a pallor on the thread with my observation about the recent changes to our community.
    It is still way better than most other places. Part of my discontent may be related to my impending knee surgery which lets me work but other stuff, not so much. And that my life of leisure is over for another six months. There is a reason it's called work.
    I did manage a few laps at the flagship mountain today. Don't tell Dr. Purnell. It was great to be out ,but also to confirm that yes, things need fixing.
    Coverage is quite good and its great to have the lifts spinning, this is a big part of it after all.
    Your points are salient, and describe a seminal shift that one does not notice without living here for a long time.

Here's my heady, monday morning QB take: The tone in town has continued to shift with the immediate gratification lifestyle, mostly fueled by social media. That's obviously a part of most aspects of the present American/1st world experience, but Aspen deals with it at an inflated, pressurised level. People with money, of all ages, are seeking the cool things, cool spaces and cool experiences with a faster desire, faster need. Aspen has long held real cache - both above and below the superficial glitz of showy wealth, designer store lifestyles and $30k Cloud 9 bills - but now that cache has that much more pulling on it.

I think SkiCo continues to plan for the future - decades down the road, as the balance of the Aspen experience shifts farther away from traditional skiing and more into a variety of year-round experiences that they can be a purveyor and leader in. They have deep roots, a massive brand and a consistent audiences; they're just planning how to stay ahead of the eventual changes facing their bread-and-butter revenue streams. Unfortunately for most of us living in the past Aspen (and wanting the past Aspen), that change of focus from SkiCo seems to be looking like AspenX, Snow Beach, shallow brand/influencer collabs and massively overpriced summer experiences. They have to shake the vague stigma of being a rich person's/ rich white guy's paradise and stay nimble in a competitive space. My guess is that SkiCo will continue to move out of its normal lane(s) and push into other areas of the RFV's/Western USA's outdoor recreation and use their name and size to compete in those markets.

I'm about 60% of the way to this.There are still plenty of folks that try to come and blend and feel that OG spirit. Just not many places left to do that.
    At least we've got the Onion coming back soon and perhaps more importantly, Jordan and Brad's new spot in the old Cooper Street building.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Here's my heady, monday morning QB take: The tone in town has continued to shift with the immediate gratification lifestyle, mostly fueled by social media. That's obviously a part of most aspects of the present American/1st world experience, but Aspen deals with it at an inflated, pressurised level. People with money, of all ages, are seeking the cool things, cool spaces and cool experiences with a faster desire, faster need. Aspen has long held real cache - both above and below the superficial glitz of showy wealth, designer store lifestyles and $30k Cloud 9 bills - but now that cache has that much more pulling on it.

I think SkiCo continues to plan for the future - decades down the road, as the balance of the Aspen experience shifts farther away from traditional skiing and more into a variety of year-round experiences that they can be a purveyor and leader in. They have deep roots, a massive brand and a consistent audiences; they're just planning how to stay ahead of the eventual changes facing their bread-and-butter revenue streams. Unfortunately for most of us living in the past Aspen (and wanting the past Aspen), that change of focus from SkiCo seems to be looking like AspenX, Snow Beach, shallow brand/influencer collabs and massively overpriced summer experiences. They have to shake the vague stigma of being a rich person's/ rich white guy's paradise and stay nimble in a competitive space. My guess is that SkiCo will continue to move out of its normal lane(s) and push into other areas of the RFV's/Western USA's outdoor recreation and use their name and size to compete in those markets.
    So, you're saying SkiCo is moving into the Pickleball space.

Aspen will never shake the rich person's/rich white person paradise. They may add some Middle Eastern, Rich Arab guy space though.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

So what is the play tomorrow? Is Snowmass going to drop any ropes or is lapping Big Burn gonna be the only option?

Ajax has the terrain, but so I want to deal with getting into town in the morning?

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Name:	17E9849D-5790-4402-9388-EC61E1D6859F.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	816.3 KB 
ID:	435831

Now there's something new to fear, another ski gang, featuring my granddaughter Lumi center.
    Look out cause soon , they'll be three.

That's in years, because obviously there are three of them.

For now.

Freaks? Consider yourselves served, biaches!

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    So what is the play tomorrow? Is Snowmass going to drop any ropes or is lapping Big Burn gonna be the only option?

Ajax has the terrain, but so I want to deal with getting into town in the morning?

November? Pow on thinish base??? Aspen would be a safer call and may include opportunities to lemming some semi skiable runs. Decent chance there will be a snow day tomorrow in Aspen, so could be that much busier all around.

Traffic blew today; probably going to be roughly tomorrow. The light at Truscott was messed up for a while with the upvalley left turn cycling when no one was on the pad.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post

Ajax was prepping the Ridge yesterday and will probably open FIS and Ruthies chairs.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are my Snowmass days. Sam's Knob is a little rocky at the top of Slot, but lower in, traverse to Zugspitze and Prominade.
    They may open Elk Camp chair today. It's kinda flat and rocky, but nobody will be over there and you'd get untracked all day.
    I'll be at the VX early, wearing a White Colorado Freeride Jacket and everything else black. Mostly lapping the Knob.

I bet coverage will be decent on most of Bell after this storm since face and back were skiing well this past weekend

Hope it’s good for those who get out! I’m saving my sick days for a little later in the season

Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably