Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Well…. Screwing around on the campground wind lips today I got bucked forward on the biggest one about 1/3 of the way down and feel like I tore something in my left knee.

Will go see someone early next week.
    Bummer as I have a hut trip week after next and was just getting into ski shape

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Dude…that sucks! Hope it is just rehab!

Was your last knee repair your right?

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Oooh wee today was fun. The dumps were deep and soft over and over again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I'm interested in booking a hut trip. Can any mags advise on around when the snowpack stabilizes? March? April? When will be too late to ski cool stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    I'm interested in booking a hut trip. Can any mags advise on around when the snowpack stabilizes? March? April? When will be too late to ski cool stuff?
    April is usually a good lock for stabilization and and more consistent weather. Really, as long as our snowfall continues around average, skiing should be great then. March can be amazing with fresh snow, but avy hazard will still ebb and flow more quickly and you may get confined to low angle.

April is usually easier to find hut nights, especially this near to the trip

exactly what I was wondering! Thank you sir

We managed a quick trip to the PNW between Christmas and NYE and I was able to hustle up top yesterday for a blustery bowl lap. B’s had some depth but a bit of a top layer. G2 was similar but better and relatively blank at 3pm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1672672657.948673.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	210.5 KB 
ID:	440893

My plan was to go hit a quick bowl lap first thing yesterday while everyone was still hung over but it was delayed due to wind so I just did like 6 DT laps, it was excellent

Sounds like a hard wreck today in the bowl. Hopefully not a local and not a mag. Word is no helmet and some brains on the operating room floor....sad and hope you all are safe and wearing your buckets when sending it!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Skiing has been really fun the last few days. Those 1-2 each night has been keeping it soft and fun. Did Snowmass yesterday and Ajax today. Thinking highlands tomorrow.
    Going to be here skiing for the next 10 days. What resort would you all recommend on the weekends around here? I am guessing Snowmass is the most crowded on weekends but I just don't know.

4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    Skiing has been really fun the last few days. Those 1-2 each night has been keeping it soft and fun. Did Snowmass yesterday and Ajax today. Thinking highlands tomorrow.
    Going to be here skiing for the next 10 days. What resort would you all recommend on the weekends around here? I am guessing Snowmass is the most crowded on weekends but I just don't know.

Snowmass is the money maker and always has the most traffic. But it’s not really too crowded.
    Just avoid the VX after 10 and Alpine Springs around 11.

Crowded is a relative term... pretty hard to find a bad lift line around here especially for the next 10 days which is considered an "off peak within peak" time of the season. If you really want to stand in line, go to Alpine Springs on Saturday morning around 10:45, you might wait for 10-15 minutes.

As others have said lines aren't much of an issue here. Ajax is my go to for a number of reasons but a good spot when crowds are bigger since you have a number of different lifts to choose from that all access very fun terrain, but if you're used to other mountains nothing will feel crowded, especially the next 10 days. I skied 8 of the 10 days during peak Christmas through New Years at Ajax, Highlands, and Snowmass and never waited in line for more than maybe 7 minutes at the absolute worst, but most lift rides I skied right on the chair. I felt the crowds most at Snowmass while actually skiing vs waiting in line since the jerrys were out in full force

Scary about that accident in the bowl I hope that dude is okay. After landing a cliff into a blob of cream cheese and tomahawking several times on Monday I appreciate the helmet more than ever
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Sounds like a hard wreck today in the bowl. Hopefully not a local and not a mag. Word is no helmet and some brains on the operating room floor....sad and hope you all are safe and wearing your buckets when sending it!
    Doesn’t sound promising, unfortunately; hit a tree off the Oly Bowl catwalk. Another had a broken leg. Rough day for AHSP!

Ya I waited in zero lift lines today. Way different than my off peak "California" day. Lots of hoot today at Ajax.

Ya I waited in zero lift lines today. Way different than my off peak "California" day. Lots of hoot today at Ajax.
    Good call. There are so many fun shots at Ajax. And looks like it may have been a bit fluffy for you, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Good call. There are so many fun shots at Ajax. And looks like it may have been a bit fluffy for you, eh?
    'twas unexpectedly fluffy today and the hoots and hollers proved it. Great season so far.

Ya was light and easy to jump from pillow to pillow all day. Got Walsh’s at the rope drops. hyrups had lots of fun stuff in the trees on the left. Did the bells ridge and nose and over to jackpot. Got great turns and had lots of soft. Fun to watch the local ripper kids get after it to provide entertainment from the chair. Didn’t ski much of old Ajax but I’ll get over there soon. If anyone wants to meet up let me know. Bright yellow hat, and I have beers from Alibi in no. Tahoe in my pocket.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

2022-23 Aspen/Roaring Fork Valley Conditions

Some interesting, but tired musings from Roger. Skip the first half - https://www.outsideonline.com/advent...-billionaires/
    Last edited by alpinevibes; 01-05-2023 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Some interesting, but tired musings from Roger. Skip the first half - https://www.outsideonline.com/advent...-billionaires/
    Kind of a distillation of everything American.

The St. Moritz has gone to $400+/night, the Tyrolean is $270+, Shadow Mountain Lodge requiring 5 night min, all the reasonable lodging has gone.

Too bad, with all that quality skiing, it's a great spot.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Dan S said it best:
    ”down in the graves, you can hear the miners sing;
    big money ruins everything”

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Kind of a distillation of everything American.

The St. Moritz has gone to $400+/night, the Tyrolean is $270+, Shadow Mountain Lodge requiring 5 night min, all the reasonable lodging has gone.

Too bad, with all that quality skiing, it's a great spot.
    We've had good luck staying down-valley a bit. Drive up to the Brush Creek PnR in the a.m. and just catch the bus to wherever we're skiing. I mean - it still ain't "cheap" but nothing is any more...

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    At least the lame rich influencers here don’t actually ski and we get the mountains to ourselves unlike other ski towns where the exact same thing is also happening

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    We've had good luck staying down-valley a bit. Drive up to the Brush Creek PnR in the a.m. and just catch the bus to wherever we're skiing. I mean - it still ain't "cheap" but nothing is any more...
    What? And associate with the hoi polloi?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    What? And associate with the hoi polloi?

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    At least the lame rich influencers here don’t actually ski and we get the mountains to ourselves unlike other ski towns where the exact same thing is also happening

This is my hope. That all the rich just go to be seen, and hang out in their $10k blingy ski outfits, drinking $175 bottles of french bubbly.

I wanted to hit Aspen last year, but it just wasn't doable. At least not staying somewhere in Snowmass or Aspen. Just doesn't feel like a ski vacation if you're in Basalt or Glenwood Springs.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch