Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Henry's is 1A lift line. Don't know the answer to your previous question, I know exactly what you're talking about but idk if it has a name. I just refer to that spot as Face to 3.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is Henry's? Also perhaps someone here knows - what is the shot called between Sunrise/Sunset and Short Face? The one that is the last possible line to get on chair 3.

Hanging Tree is the straight shot from Bell down to 3.
    The far skiers left was the Rocket Line -pre Gondola.
    Just to the right of Hanging Tree is ThePie - because of the shape of the untracked snow from people cutting back to 3 or down to 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Hanging Tree is the straight shot from Bell down to 3.
    The far skiers left was the Rocket Line -pre Gondola.
    Just to the right of Hanging Tree is ThePie - because of the shape of the untracked snow from people cutting back to 3 or down to 6.
    I love me some pie.
    If you stand just below bell chair you can see the over hang of tree roots for hanging tree.

I'm cleared to take it easy. I'm in grant writing mode right now, so not sure when I'll get up to wiggle down a groomer. PT made my knee not so happy.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Keep heeling up GR! Better to be in a spot to enjoy skiing with the kids versus not skiing at all.

For most of us here…our glory days are long gone and now I just enjoy the solitude and soft snow.

Back to transport…there is a free shuttle from Brush Creek to Highlands, but it only runs on the weekends. And then the Buttermilk lot has become such a shit show because of the shuttle from there to Highlands.

I hate to say it…but they should focus on a shuttle from Rubey to Highlands and Brush Creek to Highlands 7 days a week and stop running the BM to Highlands van…IMHO.

The bus change bullshit…get out of here with that shit…this isn’t Vail!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

2022-23 Aspen/Roaring Fork Valley Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post

For most of us here…our glory days are long gone
    I don't know about you but I'm just hitting my stride these days. Most people still can't keep up. I am like a fine wine. Just getting better with age. Ski more, and in better shape than when I was 30. Oh and I drink less now, so don't know if that helps or hurts.

Got out late today to Ajax because I had to "work remote". But still found soft cream cheese around 1 and off of 2.

"Everyone has a good butt." Dexter Rutecki
    Last edited by Truckee Joe; 01-11-2023 at 08:41 AM.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

My wife said Ajax skied better today than on Saturday. Def a sleeper; wish I could’ve ducked out for it.

I skinned up Buttermilk with a class of 13y/o and enjoyed some soft tele turns on the way down

Where’d highlands pull that 10” report from? Stake and raw data don’t show anything close to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Aspen skied great on the right aspects today, but windy, cold and bad vis.

Dumps and Kristi/Anaconda had some nice pockets. Wind took a beating to the Face/Ridge and other West-facing terrain. Should be great again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Where’d highlands pull that 10” report from? Stake and raw data don’t show anything close to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lots of wind transport up there. The top of each run didn't ski very deep but about half way down things would change and ski much deeper.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Aspen skied great on the right aspects today, but windy, cold and bad vis.
    Should be great again tomorrow.
    Hyrup’s/Bingo was the run dejour.

Trainors and SQR are punchy and need some more
    missionary work.

Now that they’ve pumped the dump at Highlands the last two days, I’ll probably go there tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Sounds like a hard wreck today in the bowl. Hopefully not a local and not a mag. Word is no helmet and some brains on the operating room floor....sad and hope you all are safe and wearing your buckets when sending it!
    RIP Dave.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/loca...pen-highlands/

That fucking sucks. No time for a soap box, just sadness.

Helmets have become some comfortable, warm and generally easy to wear…hate seeing this.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Jeff Hamilton died too!
    Only 56.

We’re have a little party on the Shadow Mountain deck at the base of 1A Saturday. Stop by for a brat and a beverage and we’ll pore a little out for both. RIP.

If you ski Trainors and Norway, you get a free hat!
    Last edited by Shredhead; 01-12-2023 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Link don’t work

Schmeared turns on groomers felt great.
    Carved turns on groomers felt good enough.
    Not quite ready to rally through chopped yet, but that's not too far off in the future.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

RIP to Jeff and Dave. Both folks I've heard much positive things about.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

https://www.aspendailynews.com/news/...b7eb3fcd2.html

“It’s like 20 days that we’re selling our kids short when they take these tests compared to internationally,” ASD Board of Education member Christa Gieszl said in its meeting Wednesday.

It's like someone at the Aspen School District reads this TGR thread, and seems to agree with my sentiments that less school days than their peers puts our local kids at a disadvantage. What a concept!

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Rideout View Post

“It’s like 20 days that we’re selling our kids short when they take these tests compared to internationally,” ASD Board of Education member Christa Gieszl said in its meeting Wednesday.

It's like someone at the Aspen School District reads my TGR posts, and seems to agree with my sentiments that less school days than their peers puts our kids at a disadvantage. This isn't rocket science.
    It seems Ms Gieszl isn't paying attention to the data.

In Finland, school officials believe that less is more. According to the HuffPost, children attend school between 8 and 9 a.m. each day and finish around 1 to 2 p.m. For every 45 minutes of learning, the children get a 15-minute break. This equates to an average of three hours and 45 minutes of educational instruction each day. In the US, children spend roughly 6.5 hours a day in the classroom.

School officials in Finland may be on to something, though. The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development found that Finnish students ranked number two amongst other countries in reading, math, and science, according to The Guardian.

https://www.insider.com/school-days-...y-45-minutes-2

https://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...cience-reading
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Keep your own damn prisoners, dammit.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

It's like someone at the Aspen School District reads this TGR thread, and seems to agree with my sentiments that less school days than their peers puts our local kids at a disadvantage. What a concept!
    What ever happened to the 180 day school year. Hell, we had to make up days for winter closures. Only one that I can call as a kid growing up in Anchorage. But it was for an ice storm and not too much snow. Keep those kids in school or home school on storm days and off the slopes!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    What ever happened to the 180 day school year. Hell, we had to make up days for winter closures. Only one that I can call as a kid growing up in Anchorage. But it was for an ice storm and not too much snow. Keep those kids in school or home school on storm days and off the slopes!
    Colorado: "As stated above each school of the district must be in session for a minimum of 160 days (“student contact days”)."

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Most states do require 180 days as you remember, including Alaska. I have attached a link below to show that most states standard is 180 days. Colorado is an exception with 160 days per year. That's the point I'm making, and it looks like ASD is coming around to that fact that we are putting our local youth at a disadvantage for what amounts to budget considerations in Aspen? In Aspen? For chrissakes our little City of Aspen has less than 10,000 residents and boasts a $160+ million dollar annual budget.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...-days-by-state

Buster brings up a salient point, but is using an apples to oranges comparison.

He is correct, and shows an article that more time in school doesn't necessarily produce better reading and math scores. Buster points to Finland (#2 in the world behind S. Korea.).

I posit that we send people from our DOE to learn from the top 5 countries (We don't even crack the top 10 anymore, USA! USA!) on this list and adopt some of the teaching methods, curriculum, and potentially even schedule. Great idea buster!

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Keep your own damn prisoners, dammit.
    Agreed. Oh just wait, there's more coming down the pipe concerning the new sheriff transition. Bet it hits the newspapers this weekend or monday.

A nothingburger in the big picture, but important T's did not get crossed and i's did not get dotted...

Buster brings up a salient point, but is using an apples to oranges comparison.
    I'm just refuting the claim made by Ms Gieszl regarding international scores as saltily as I can.

He is correct, and shows an article that more time in school doesn't necessarily produce better reading and math scores. Buster points to Finland (#2 in the world behind S. Korea.).

I posit that we send people from our DOE to learn from the top 5 countries (We don't even crack the top 10 anymore, USA! USA!) on this list and adopt some of the teaching methods, curriculum, and potentially even schedule. Great idea buster!
    My pops was a noted physicist who held a number of administrative positions at the Univerity of Wisconsin. He ended up despising the Education Departments.

Maybe try paying teachers enough to live in Aspen and demote the board of education?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Agreed. Oh just wait, there's more coming down the pipe concerning the new sheriff transition. Bet it hits the newspapers this weekend or monday.

A nothingburger in the big picture, but important T's did not get crossed and i's did not get dotted...
    Ooooh, juicy.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Couldn’t make it over to 1A before scrambling home for a nap, but Saturday was the boys’ first time skiing Aspen mountain. Busy, but they loved it and Bonnie’s

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1673900827.237002.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	442892

I skied two good laps on Gramsters and Ozone yesterday. Looks like a great week of skiing to come

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1673900839.185920.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	295.3 KB 
ID:	442893