Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Simi is a freak of nature

He a really nice guy too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is climbing Red Rim road and descending Arbaney Kittle towards Basalt, then looping back on the Rio Grande a ride?
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/arbaney-kittle/

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Is climbing Red Rim road and descending Arbaney Kittle towards Basalt, then looping back on the Rio Grande a ride?
    Climbing Red Rim from Woody Creek is super super steep, like not rideable in sections as you go up. From the shoulder of Triangle over towards the ridge of Sloan would be more doable but rocky and not fun. I don’t hear about people riding AK much but it’s probably fine

There’s a older classic ride connecting 4 Corners or Lenado, up through Cow Camp out along the ridge (bushwacky) and descending AK.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Climbing Red Rim from Woody Creek is super super steep, like not rideable in sections as you go up. From the shoulder of Triangle over towards the ridge of Sloan would be more doable but rocky and not fun. I don’t hear about people riding AK much but it’s probably fine

There’s a older classic ride connecting 4 Corners or Lenado, up through Cow Camp out along the ridge (bushwacky) and descending AK.
    Thanks, that's what I was wondering. The pictures on TF make it look better than it's described.

OMG Seven Star this morning 🤤

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It is over 18% grade on the first pitch.

AK is ridden usually* from the top. It's cleared every few years.... I have friends that have done it as an epic from Woody Creek, and a few others that have shuttled it... I've never explored up there.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Red rim gate is closed until 6/21.

Arbaney is cool. One hike a bike section along a narrow ridgeline near the top.

Kinda hard to see where AK starts at the top, but there is a wooden sign on your left past the two cool hunting camps on your right that overlook the airport. Note: These directions take you to the intersection of red rim and AK. To do the full AK, you need to hit 4 corners up there. The upper part of AK is maintained by dirtbikers and is a flowy ride, mostly downhill. Lots of timber down from 2 years ago made a bunch of reroutes, but we slowly cut almost everything back to normal last summer.

Edit: Going up red rim is a steep beatdown on anything 2 wheeled, and expect colorado pinstripes on anything 4 wheeled if you decide to drive up.
    Last edited by Percy Rideout; 05-22-2023 at 10:46 AM.

Sky mtn IS primo right now. Ended up bailing on Castle due to wet slide concerns but a pretty perfect weekend for rivers and bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Any of you locals have any idea if Indy pass opens this weekend? I did some searching and even CDOT is not making any predictions. Seems like if they were planning on Thursday, they would say something.
    I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone

Scheduled to open at noon on Thursday as per usual according to www.independencepass.org

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Yeah thinking of skiing the north couloir this weekend
    As in North Maroon? I'm thinking heading out that way this weekend (more on the latter) to make a run at it , be curious on conditions/state/ team up maybe if timing works?

Also anyone know if they give out day of or release day prior additional permits? Got one for Tuesday but would prefer to go in earlier
    You took too much man, too much, too much

The cloudy moist pattern we are experiencing has been great for MTBing. No sure I’d want to checkout the Bells. Low last night was 40f at 8k. We’re just not getting the hard freezes at night.

Camp packed the Belly Up with MILFs
    last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    The cloudy moist pattern we are experiencing has been great for MTBing. No sure I’d want to checkout the Bells. Low last night was 40f at 8k. We’re just not getting the hard freezes at night.

Camp packed the Belly Up with MILFs
    last night.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Roc View Post
    As in North Maroon? I'm thinking heading out that way this weekend (more on the latter) to make a run at it , be curious on conditions/state/ team up maybe if timing works?

Also anyone know if they give out day of or release day prior additional permits? Got one for Tuesday but would prefer to go in earlier
    Was gonna do the north couloir of Castle, a much mellower line than N Maroon. Bailed due to the exact issue Shred mentioned - not a hard enough overnight freeze to give a confidently stable window and some rain in the days prior had caused bigger wet slides in that region than I would want to see being up there

I think Indy pass is the play for me moving forward if I want to ski. Easier approaches and generally less consequential if things take a quick turn. The freezes haven't been solid enough for me to be comfortable in big terrain for long periods of time, since if it goes to mushy shit 3/4 of the way up N Maroon you still gotta get all the way out of there

Been learning how to kayak so I can fully embrace spring instead of planning ski missions and bailing on them
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Simi skied a N and S Maroon combo yesterday morning. Sounds like conditions are still decent up high above 11-12k, but not great below. He tried to tag on Pyramid too, but didn’t have time.

I was trying to ski N Maroon with him two weeks ago and he tried to talk me into a N+S combo - that wasn’t gonna happen for my fitness and then a threw out my back. I’m surprised it’s still skiing well up there

Simi skied a N and S Maroon combo yesterday morning. Sounds like conditions are still decent up high above 11-12k, but not great below. He tried to tag on Pyramid too, but didn’t have time.

I was trying to ski N Maroon with him two weeks ago and he tried to talk me into a N+S combo - that wasn’t gonna happen for my fitness and then a threw out my back. I’m surprised it’s still skiing well up there
    Right on, thanks for the info, even more stoked the booters in haha.

the bulk of the headyness is 14 to 12, so if that is skiing well, i am willing to deal with the rest of the BS on the exit
    You took too much man, too much, too much

I didn’t mean to be Debbie Downer.
    Best of luck with your objectives.
    I’ll buy you a beer, either way.

anybody get up the pass to ski yesterday?

Just trying to time the 1-2 hour corn harvest window correctly and seeing if there is any beta on here yet from people's trips yesterday.

Good news is it is snowing up high.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Good news is it is snowing up high.
    Reminds me of June 23, 2019 - 4" of decent powder up on the pass!

No more skiing for me I think... I went out for a post-work Airline lap on Wednesday night and caught my pedal wrapping around Cozyline and flew into the scrub oak. Ended up at Urgent Care in Basalt with a big contusion in my calf and a stick stuck in my arm, but otherwise ok. Just some rest and PT for a few weeks; my spring of injuries continues!

Reminds me of June 23, 2019 - 4" of decent powder up on the pass!

No more skiing for me I think... I went out for a post-work Airline lap on Wednesday night and caught my pedal wrapping around Cozyline and flew into the scrub oak. Ended up at Urgent Care in Basalt with a big contusion in my calf and a stick stuck in my arm, but otherwise ok. Just some rest and PT for a few weeks; my spring of injuries continues!
    heal up. It's going to be a good summer.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Vibes Alpine!

I rode up to the Montezuma cutoff yesterday. Lot of dust on the snow and not too appealing looking.

I also rode up Connector to Village Bound. Connector is pretty dry,
    but a ton of downed trees.
    Village Bound was muddy crossing the slopes, where there’s still packed down snow. Maybe two weeks.

This rain will really help Rim, 7* and Sky Mountain, which we’re getting a little dry.

2022-23 Aspen/Roaring Fork Valley Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Rideout View Post
    anybody get up the pass to ski yesterday?

Just trying to time the 1-2 hour corn harvest window correctly and seeing if there is any beta on here yet from people's trips yesterday.
    Missed this was away for a while so things have probably changed since then but got up there the 27th and skied an east facing at around 9-930 and a NNW aspect around 11 and both were excellent corn timing

Right on, thanks for the info, even more stoked the booters in haha.

the bulk of the headyness is 14 to 12, so if that is skiing well, i am willing to deal with the rest of the BS on the exit
    Did you end up going up N Maroon?