Kettlebells and weights for home

Looking to pick up heavy objects for fitness. Gyms around here are expense so looking to buy some for home. Been watching Craigslist etc but kettlebells and dumbbells don’t seem to depreciate. Any suggestions on brands for new ones? Looking at rogue or onmit for kettles to start but open to other ideas. Planning on picking up a bench bar and squat stand once I clear out some space.

Kettlebell Kings are nice, and they go on sale every once in a while. Amazon basics ones are OK depending on what you are using them for, but the finish is pretty crappy. Can’t speak to rogue or onnit but I’m sure they’re solid

Ader Kettlebells are my preferred choice.

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    Kettlebell Kings are nice, and they go on sale every once in a while. Amazon basics ones are OK depending on what you are using them for, but the finish is pretty crappy. Can’t speak to rogue or onnit but I’m sure they’re solid
    I've got a couple from Kettlebell Kings. No complaints. I priced them and Rogue and I don't remember which way it worked out but one charged for shipping and the bells were cheaper and the other charged more for the bells and less for shipping.

I have a couple REP Fitness kettlebells, they are nice and collect dust excellently.

Not necessarily kettle bell or dumbbell related but we went the home gym route about 5 years ago, and haven't looked back. Bought most items from Rogue and I don't think we have anything we've been disappointed with (fanbike, rack, bar, plates, etc).
    They used to have a great Black Friday event but due to supply chain issues its been curtailed the last few years. Bringing the gym into the house is one of the better decisions we've made for our lifestyle.

Kettlebell kings are 50% more expensive then rogue or onmit not sure it’s worth it. Reps look similar in price and the ader ones don’t have a Pnw store. I am likely overthinking this but that’s the point of the forum. Might be worth waiting for a Black Friday sale and just work with the little dumbbells I have for a few more weeks.

Been really happy with adjustable Ironmaster stuff. One pair of kettlebell handles, a pair of dumbbell handles, a curl bar, and a stack of weight plates. The same plates can be used on all of their components, so you don't need a whole rack of different weights (which is nice if you have to move or live in a van by the river). Expensive, but it's all metal, zero plastic to break, nice finish, and will last FOREVER assuming you don't store the stuff in a lake.

No doubt they'll have a Black Friday sale, probably 20% off or so (which is about how much they increased their prices in 2022).
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 10-31-2022 at 01:35 AM.

The "Athletic Works" brand from Walmart is much cheaper than any other source I've found, and the finish is good.
    Most of them are about $1/pound with free delivery.
    Each of the weights is under a different listing, so be prepared to rummage.

If you really want to lift you need a power rack, a bench, an Oly bar, and some plates.
    Power rack on sale for $200: https://www.walmart.com/ip/BalanceFr...Only/162777833
    People sell used weight sets all the time, usually the kind that only let you bench press. Put one together with a power rack (remove the weight stand from the flat bench and just keep the flat bench) and you're set.

For dumbbells…bow flex are worth the $$
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Kettlebell kings are 50% more expensive then rogue or onmit not sure it’s worth it. Reps look similar in price and the ader ones don’t have a Pnw store. I am likely overthinking this but that’s the point of the forum. Might be worth waiting for a Black Friday sale and just work with the little dumbbells I have for a few more weeks.
    Odd - when I looked at them previously KBK were cheaper (free shipping prob had something to do w it) but I don’t remember by how much. Definitely go with whatever is decent quality and you can get for cheap.

I've got mostly rogue stuff, which is all very good obviously. The free shipping deals they have or hundo pricing works out well. REP also makes good stuff. I need to grab one of their adjustable benches.

Xtreme monkey also makes really decent, durable stuff.

Serious question...what makes one kettelbell better than another. In other words, why the wide price diff.?

Handle comfort and finish is big differentiating factor for me on KBs - no burrs or seams, not slippery, but also not textures so much that its likely to chew my hands up doing swings or things. Can’t speak to much beyond that, but im not a KB expert by any stretch

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Serious question...what makes one kettelbell better than another. In other words, why the wide price diff.?
    Marketing budget has to get paid for somehow!

That said, there are minor differences between brands.
    On some, the handle has no flat spot on top: on others, the handle has the flat spot. (The handle is always round, but some have a smooth mostly-flat arch and some go straight horizontal.)
    They're finished differently. Some are rubberized, some are cast and then polished, some are just cast and left raw except for black paint (caution: sharp edges), some are cast and left mostly raw except for grinding off the seam.

Again, the cheap Walmart "Athletic Works" are surprisingly nice. The seam is ground off, and they're covered with a thick layer of hammertone paint that leaves them bumpy enough to grip but doesn't rip at your skin like the raw finish. The more expensive ones look more expensive, but they're no better to work out with.

Those Walmart ones are damn cheap and if you buy enough the shipping is free!

This thread is over 2 years too late.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Squat rack, bar, plates from Wright Equipment. Kettlebells from Rogue. Had a cheap kettlebell from Target and the handle shape made it painful to use.

Weight is weight on kettlebells. If you like the handle you are good. No reason to get pricey ones.

All rubber coated metal handle dumbbells seem to be essentially the same except for REP which has a straight handle. Sure seems like they are all even assembled from the same basic parts overseas. Absolutely no reason to pay more for a Rogue. Get Weider at Walmart or get them from Amazon Basics if you want delivery. Those seem to be the cheapest. And you can often find the amazon basics ones at the amazon warehouse "used" which are actually new just with damaged packaging even cheaper (and if it's actually damaged just return it on their dime.)

I've been working my 16kg hardstyle bell I got off craigslist for a couple months now. It's something decent quality -- looks like Kettlebell Kings rebranded by a local shop.

Just took delivery of new adjustable competition-style bell. Handle feels much nicer to snatch/clean etc. More suited for one-handed work. Not cheap at $260 but a buy-once cry once thing I hope. I may eventually add a second but can do a lot of hurt with one. Obviously if you like to switch weight quickly / frequently not an ideal solution. https://www.bellsofsteel.us/all-prod...le-kettlebell/

Here's a review/overview:

What weights does a beginner, middle aged, fit, but not a lifter, guy buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    What weights does a beginner, middle aged, fit, but not a lifter, guy buy?
    Whats the goal? Most recommendations I've seen are 16kg kettlebell for reasonably in-shape, not-lifter adult male to start. If you're already pretty strong maybe jump straight to 20kg.

If you're in CO Front Range and want a 16kg cheap, let me know.

my favorite ski workout weight is actually rubber mulch from lowes. it's dust-free unlike sand.
    get whatever canvas workout sandbag you want, put a contractor bag in as a liner, and fill it with the weight you want.
    not ideal for upper body stuff since it doesn't hold its shape like a barbell (it works in a pinch), but its perfect for lower body.
    I got a 65# one in an old mountaineer pack for step-ups etc and a 35# one for lighter weight stuff.

i try never to buy kettlebells or dumbbells new because of the ridiculous cost.
    i've found great success trolling the thrift stores if I ever need one.
    you'd be surprised (or maybe not) how many people buy them, barely use them and then just offload them at the nearest thrift shop.
    craigslist too