Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

3D Printing for outdoor nerds

Howdy Folks - I read through this article on PinkBike this morning and it got me jazzed about the state of 3D printed products in the outdoors space.

See as I have some free time on my hands, I was hoping to do some crowd brainstorming on some items that could be 3D printed for skiing, hiking, mountain biking or other outdoor shenanigans.

So what are some pain points, or areas where life could be improved?
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Haven't thought this through, but...
    Maybe a few of the common binding parts that wouldn't require super-high safety standards?

- People here are often asking to trade different widths of Salomon brake arms (each individual arm can be removed/inserted into the brake assembly, without unmounting the heel piece).
    - Maybe FKS half-moon parts (they typically crack and need replacement)?
    - Not sure if FKS brake widths are a good candidate (the 2 arms never detach from the little AFD depressor pad hinge/joint thingy, but you can remove/insert the whole 2-arm combo into an unmounted heel piece).

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Binding mount jigs would be sweet. Pole baskets too

Binding shims too depending on the quality of the material. I know they are 3D printing alloy these days

Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Binding shims too depending on the quality of the material. I know they are 3D printing alloy these days

Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Binding mount jigs would be sweet. Pole baskets too
    Done both already - check out: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d-mounting-jig

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Haven't thought this through, but...
    Maybe a few of the common binding parts that wouldn't require super-high safety standards?

- People here are often asking to trade different widths of Salomon brake arms (each individual arm can be removed/inserted into the brake assembly, without unmounting the heel piece).
    - Maybe FKS half-moon parts (they typically crack and need replacement)?
    - Not sure if FKS brake widths are a good candidate (the 2 arms never detach from the little AFD depressor pad hinge/joint thingy, but you can remove/insert the whole 2-arm combo into an unmounted heel piece).
    I think most of those would be some sort of casting or bent piece of wire that would not be super conducive to printing out of plastic on an FDM style 3D printer.

I guess I could make the part to do an investment cast of the half moon piece, or alternatively jigs to assist with wire bending, but that would still require quite a bit of work from the individual to get it to work properly.

www.experiencedgear.net

I’ve been working on a nubbin that make the marker Alpinist heel risers taller. However, reverse engineering a semi flush interface with the existing flap/riser is a pain in the ass. If you or someone else happens to have access to a semi descent 3D scanning laser and would be willing to scan it, I’d happily mail you the piece.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Snap in flat pedal platforms for crank brother egg beater style pedals (and other brands). I have a shitty pair made out of brittle plastic that broke after a few uses. Maybe instead of matching a specific cleat interface they snap somehow to the axle spindle before it threads to the crank to make more universal.

Cycling computer mounts (maybe not much left to innovate on)

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    A dropper post lever that doesn't MSRP at $60+ would be okay by me.

Something to hold your bead from slipping while you get the last bit of your tire on would be neat, but I don't know what that looks like. Sounds like a job for 3D printing though.

An aftermarket downtube protector, plastic with a thin self-adhesive foam backing would be pretty cool, but I bet i could google that shit up.

Plastic shims for lateral alignment in the upper cuff of ski boots. Basically a 5"x5" shim, tapering from 1cm up top to 0, curved to fit inside a boot shell, with little low profile hooks to go over the top of the shell, for people who are bowlegged, etc. and need more than the lateral cuff alignment of the boot can offer. Preferably able to stack mechanically with a hook, or slot/tab configuration. I can whip up a sweet MS Paint piece for ya if none of that makes sense.

bindings shims

^^^
    This. I was just on the B&D website and they want $40 for the 2 pieces of plastic I want.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I mean, we've had three separate people want binding shims, and those would be a breeze to knock out.
    What thicknesses, and for which clamps?

www.experiencedgear.net

Since you are asking, kingpin heel shims 2mm. But I assume you are still coming east at some point and we are linking for a beverage?!

FWIW the heel shims work perfectly. They are a 2mm ABS just like I asked for. I have three happy buddies that now love kingpins. And I also don’t have to make them anymore. 3D is way easier then jigsaw and razor blades, and grinders and sanders.

How about some sort of AFD option for making old pivot 12/14s gripwalk compatible.

I don’t ski them anymore, but static AFDs for Solomon shifts would be sick. That would solve a lot of that bindings problems.

And for critics - I know messing with the boot / binding interface with random internet people is sketch, but that’s what cast does too, so...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    How about some sort of AFD option for making old pivot 12/14s gripwalk compatible.

I don’t ski them anymore, but static AFDs for Solomon shifts would be sick. That would solve a lot of that bindings problems.

And for critics - I know messing with the boot / binding interface with random internet people is sketch, but that’s what cast does too, so...

cant spell shift without shit.

So binding shims and alternative AFDs for older pivots - quick note on the pivots: the newer versions have wider wings to accommodate tech fittings in the toes, so it may not work that well...
    However, does anyone know where they could point me to a teardown of a 12/14?

Also, what clamps are needing shims? -

SoVT: Not sure when I am heading back east again now... so maybe ill ship some more KP shims out

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Also, what clamps are needing shims?
    I'd like to see some for dynafit ST rotation 12 toes. I'm not sure what thickness I need yet and would like to play around with different ramp angles, so I guess the thinner the better for my needs?

I have a printer in Denver with a large envelope for any local print attempts. Just pay for your filament! Feel free to DM me. Supported Print Materials: PLA, TPU, HIPS, Wood, PETG . Prints smaller than 300mmX300mmX305mm.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

I'd like to see some for dynafit ST rotation 12 toes. I'm not sure what thickness I need yet and would like to play around with different ramp angles, so I guess the thinner the better for my needs?

I started with custom 1mm shims. I ordered hdpe sheets from Amazon and kinda hacked some square shims together. I could then figure out exactly what height I needed made. I settled on 2mm shims. Tried 3mm they were too much.

don’t forget if you start messing with shims you will need to change screw lengths. Calipers and a 4 inch grinder will help you make lengths you need.

Ive got some Radicals and Rad Rotations ill whip some CAD together and publish

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    A dropper post lever that doesn't MSRP at $60+ would be okay by me.

Something to hold your bead from slipping while you get the last bit of your tire on would be neat, but I don't know what that looks like. Sounds like a job for 3D printing though.

An aftermarket downtube protector, plastic with a thin self-adhesive foam backing would be pretty cool, but I bet i could google that shit up.

Plastic shims for lateral alignment in the upper cuff of ski boots. Basically a 5"x5" shim, tapering from 1cm up top to 0, curved to fit inside a boot shell, with little low profile hooks to go over the top of the shell, for people who are bowlegged, etc. and need more than the lateral cuff alignment of the boot can offer. Preferably able to stack mechanically with a hook, or slot/tab configuration. I can whip up a sweet MS Paint piece for ya if none of that makes sense.
    I thought I saw on Pink Bike or somewhere else that Cush Core literally just came out with a bead thing like you are talking about.

Dropper lever pricing just seems like markups. Manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer. First 1 probably makes a few bucks each. Maybe, idk. Aren't there decent Ali Express ones of those now? Forgot about that.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

So I'm an idiot on anything cad or 3d printing... But instead of printing certain thicknesses of shim, could you design an X-Y can file of the hole spacing and let the user define the thickness they want?

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Skin tips compatible with square shovels like on Moment skis. BDs are a no-go. Pomoca looks like it should be okay. G3 looks like it might be ok too. I bought some G3 skin tips last year but never ended up installing them.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I thought I saw on Pink Bike or somewhere else that Cush Core literally just came out with a bead thing like you are talking about.

Dropper lever pricing just seems like markups. Manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer. First 1 probably makes a few bucks each. Maybe, idk. Aren't there decent Ali Express ones of those now? Forgot about that.
    the ZTTO lever on aliexpress is quite nice for $15.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    Skin tips compatible with square shovels like on Moment skis. BDs are a no-go. Pomoca looks like it should be okay. G3 looks like it might be ok too. I bought some G3 skin tips last year but never ended up installing them.
    For printing, this probably would not work unless you have an ABS printer. In this case, you would probably want to go with metal. What someone COULD do is print a shape, mold it, then pour metal to meet the need.

To utilize a 3D printer and improve your touring experience, you could notch your ski tip and go rando for faster transitions, lighter gear, and such. In that case, we could print you a plastic knot notch that you could epoxy to your ski tip and help protect the lamination and core from damage over time. All we would need is the dimensions of the notch you cut (thickness, depth, width), the thickness of the cord you attached to your skins, and it could be printed in such a way to hold it well. I could even make a J shaped knot keeper that locks the cord in if you are in a place with heavy and wet snow, like the PNW.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Good thread for my side project! I want to print/machine/forge/whatever an adaptor socket that lets me use the detachable Alpine Whippet head on my favorite poles. Basically, that Whippet head has an interface that's designed to work with special BD poles that are out of stock, and aren't the poles I want anyway. So I'm working on reverse engineering that socket interface, hopefully getting a proto 3d printed to test fit, and then either get a final version printed out of something durable and cold resistant with a threaded steel insert, or get something machined out of aluminum. Any input on that!?