Page 15 of 149 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    ^^^
    I've been ski touring, obsessively, in the Wasatch for over 45 years now. Know the terrain pretty good.
    As for "lacking personal knowledge" best illustrated with a pic from November 27

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	west-silver.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	436834

Panorama from East bowl of Silver. I covered much of the terrain getoutside listed in his post(personal knowledge).
    As for "getting away with it for decades" I had a coupla "wise" old avalanche guys teach me a bunch, Peter Lev and Tom Kimborough.
    Good skiing today in the Brighton bc. 11" or so fresh. Bonding on steeper slopes was sluff management.

Name:  chute.jpg
Views: 1538
Size:  102.0 KB

Looks like a few inches here and there for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by wra View Post
    ^^^
    I've been ski touring, obsessively, in the Wasatch for over 45 years now. Know the terrain pretty good.
    ^^^ that's an understatement! i don’t have any issues with people questioning decisions i’ve made, but comparing perhaps the lowest angle line on meadow chutes with the monitors is comparing apples and oranges. regarding my no instabilities noted comment, I’d had been on snow for 8 hours and that’s exactly what I saw on e, w and n facing aspects all day long. wouldn’t change that observation and not saying that in a cavalier manner either.

i do take issue with benneke's “tone” comment because there was none outside of what he perceived. you don’t know me and nor I you, so I wouldn’t make any assumptions as you know how that generally plays out.

I’m no expert and will never consider myself one as I’m always learning, asking questions and trying to have having meaningful discussions. however, as teleee indicated, if you ski certain areas on the regular year and year, you can get to know them intimately and what impact the changes can make and i had been out there prior to the storm.

looks like fun today wra!

This thoughtful insightful conversation may inspire many to be mindful of "we don't know what we don't know," even when rolling the dice on a familiar table, especially with many more players in the game. Be well everyone, so far so good! Thanks for all the good observations and wisdom.

We can only say for sure that born-and-raised Utah drivers do make bad choices.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2022/12...-united-states

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    We can only say for sure that born-and-raised Utah drivers do make bad choices.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2022/12...-united-states
    This checks out.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Thanks for the discussion y’all.

Since we’re back off topic, has anyone had luck heading out to Grantsville for a tree? I should have known better that there would be limited Christmas tree permits. Alternatively, if I can get something decent from your kid’s boy-scout troop for <$50 but I’m not holding my breath for a good deal in Utah.

I saw a guy proudly hauling a tree out of Ferguson Canyon on Sunday. Bold move.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Thanks for the discussion y’all.

Since we’re back off topic, has anyone had luck heading out to Grantsville for a tree? I should have known better that there would be limited Christmas tree permits. Alternatively, if I can get something decent from your kid’s boy-scout troop for <$50 but I’m not holding my breath for a good deal in Utah.

This isn't what you asked but I went to the Evanston side of Mirror Lake highway with our permit on Saturday and didn't realize the place we usually goto the road would be closed. The last two times we have gone the road was open and no issue. Check road conditions first is what I'm saying

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

What was his knowledge of the area? Did he know the danger rating? Did he factor in the 10% pay bonus that makes the FS reluctant to schedule people on Sundays? respect his decision to take that tree but i take some issue with him taking it proudly.

Snow felt almost bottomless today spinning some alta laps-Hope this cycle keeps up.Hail ULLR

Finally got ghosthop's "hand me down" jah heavy metals mounted up and oh boy are they a blast! They're too heavy for big days but perfect for shorter outings when the pow has stacked up. It has been nice the last two mornings ripping around on these tanks.

Thanks again!

13" in 24 didn't hurt for new ski day either

Thanks to dibs for the mounts too!
    Last edited by brutah; 12-07-2022 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    What was his knowledge of the area? Did he know the danger rating? Did he factor in the 10% pay bonus that makes the FS reluctant to schedule people on Sundays? respect his decision to take that tree but i take some issue with him taking it proudly.
    the Salt Lake District x-mas tree cutting permit does not allow for any tree removal from the Wasatch mtns. That permit limits you to a Juniper tree from the Stansbury mtns, LOL. so yeah, bold move to walk out Ferguson w/ tree in tow.
    style matters...

Quote Originally Posted by skiSilent_skiDeep View Post
    the Salt Lake District x-mas tree cutting permit does not allow for any tree removal from the Wasatch mtns. That permit limits you to a Juniper tree from the Stansbury mtns, LOL. so yeah, bold move to walk out Ferguson w/ tree in tow.
    Maybe he dug it up a la Clark W and is going to re-plant it after new years.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Stellar conditions yesterday, got out early AM for a couple laps and it was so good I never made it to work, got home at 4PM completely blown and starved. Best turns of the season so far, and some of the best turns in the past 3 years combined. So good to finally be able to ski recklessly fast, it finally feels like the Wasatch again!!

Instabilities were limited to the new snow with some very long running sluffs on all aspects skied (White Pine drainage, up to 10.5k on NW through SW, stayed away from E for the most part). Didn't see anything step down but some of the surface sluffing could have been problematic if not managed correctly. Sluff piles were a hoot to shred into. I put a heavy ski cut on a steep rollover above a textbook murderous NW facing slope and couldn't get anything to move other than a lazy sluff. Somewhat surprising and concerning for future loads. People were getting after it, watched 2 guys centerpunch the center TriChute first thing in the day, thought it was a bit of a bold move at first but based on what we saw all day I can't say I'm blaming them. Things were heating up nicely at the end of the day, glopping in December is a new one for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221206_221357511.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	437186
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by skiSilent_skiDeep View Post
    my guess is that person was a recent transplant and thought what they were doing was perfectly legal and that’s just what you do living in a mountain town like salt lake.

Yesterday afternoon was real nice!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1670457175.391430.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	437270

Quote Originally Posted by ikonfreewasatch View Post
    my guess is that person was a recent transplant and thought what they were doing was perfectly legal and that’s just what you do living in a mountain town like salt lake.
    To be fair, my previous mountain town experience was to walk down to Ace for a permit and be back from cutting a tree within an hour. Salt Lake is just like any other little backwater in the Rockies.

That same tree was hucked off our top floor balcony by my roommate’s girlfriend and burned in the parking lot before dark. Simpler times all around.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Finally got ghosthop's "hand me down" jah heavy metals mounted up and oh boy are they a blast! They're too heavy for big days but perfect for shorter outings when the pow has stacked up. It has been nice the last two mornings ripping around on these tanks.

Thanks again!

13" in 24 didn't hurt for new ski day either

Thanks to dibs for the mounts too!
    So glad to see those skis getting put to good use. Thank you for posting!

Clark....Clark Griswold?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by F#*k you cat; 12-07-2022 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Quote Dantheman I saw a guy proudly hauling a tree out of Ferguson Canyon on Sunday. Bold move.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    This bears repeating

Per twitter looks TFW might have had an unexpected guest at his place this evening. Hope everybody is alright!

Sent from my SM-S908U using TGR Forums mobile app

Thankfully the fellow had airbags and seat belt on. Prolly saved his life. Vehicle landed by our fire pit, upside down, driver's door inoperable, unconscious, airway partially occluded, and vehicle on fire upon arrival.
    Luckily was fully dressed and on scene in seconds.
    Not an easy extrication whilst trying to protect head and spine, plus being in a hurry.
    Thinking he's gonna be ok and all's well that ends well, but I had doubts about a happy ending upon arrival.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Thankfully the fellow had airbags and seat belt on. Prolly saved his life. Vehicle landed by our fire pit, upside down, driver's door inoperable, unconscious, airway partially occluded, and vehicle on fire upon arrival.
    Luckily was fully dressed and on scene in seconds.
    Not an easy extrication whilst trying to protect head and spine, plus being in a hurry.
    Thinking he's gonna be ok and all's well that ends well, but I had doubts about a happy ending upon arrival.
    Good lord TFW, he definitely crashed into the right yard at the right time. There aren't many people who could have properly provided medical care in that situation like that. Hope he's okay.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Good lord TFW, he definitely crashed into the right yard at the right time. There aren't many people who could have properly provided medical care in that situation like that. Hope he's okay.
    Team effort.
    Brock, one of Alta's lift supervisors got the fire out, and Mali Noyes who's schooling to be a nurse was calm and helpful with his care.
    One other fella, a stranger, was also a big help.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Damn TFW Glad you were able to respond. Hopefully he fully recovers and glad he didn't come flying through your casa!
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

TFW, did you try to use the old patroller trick of calling in the accident on your radio, but that you're too low to respond and someone should bring a toboggan?