Page 86 of 149 FirstFirst ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 3701
    Quote Originally Posted by crankplank View Post

Just get a snowboard and some baggy pants, we dont have "technique" and "form"
    Ha! A snowboarder doing perfect turns in powder is amazing to watch, I rarely see it in person. Not that perfection should be a goal, it just looks so damn good...

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'll guess never bothering to learn and lack of overall fitness/athleticism. PSIA also seems to be able to take something that isn't that complicated and make it sound like calculus. Maybe that's by design for job security. Is there a ski equivalent to Ben Cathro's "How to Bike" series? Someone must have a decent YT channel that covers the fundamentals.

If Gordy Camps were still a thing I'd tell him to do that all day long. It would just be a huge bummer to drop a grand to end up skiing with someone who spends most of their time with Jerseyites who's goal is to make it down High Rustler alive.

Not really. I was a pretty mediocre skier until I first moved out here and skied a 100+ day season. I thought I was hot shit, but I wasn't, at all. Weightlifting and getting properly gym fit was also critical.
    Yeah Gordy camps would be ideal, or get a LCC freeride coach like Andrew Pollard or Rob Greener to do some under-the-table lessons. Or ski with you, of course.

They got rid of spring passes maybe two seasons ago. I'll be up there a few times anyways as Snowbasin season pass holders get 50% off and I have some gift cards to use up.

Anyways - holy shit what a season!!!!

And Ogden canyon is closed, wow.

Go ski with DTM. Tried (and failed) to keep within sight of him at the Bird and I felt like Herman Meier. Do that a few days and you’ll be a better skier.
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Ha! A snowboarder doing perfect turns in powder is amazing to watch, I rarely see it in person. Not that perfection should be a goal, it just looks so damn good...

Yeah Gordy camps would be ideal, or get a LCC freeride coach like Andrew Pollard or Rob Greener to do some under-the-table lessons. Or ski with you, of course.

They got rid of spring passes maybe two seasons ago. I'll be up there a few times anyways as Snowbasin season pass holders get 50% off and I have some gift cards to use up.

Anyways - holy shit what a season!!!!
    I agree with your takes here.

The idea that repetition of doing things "your way" over and over will yield the same results as professional instruction/coaching is honestly laughable.

Everybody here would benefit from skiing a day with Scott Mathers and letting him critique your skiing with an open mind.

Greg Minnaar is the winningest all-time UCI DH mountain bike racer. He has a coach that has never won a World Cup. Same with most every FIS World Cup skier.

Phil Jackson wasn't half the basketball player Michael Jordan was, but he made Jordan a much better player.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    I agree with your takes here.

The idea that repetition of doing things "your way" over and over will yield the same results as professional instruction/coaching is honestly laughable.

Everybody here would benefit from skiing a day with Scott Mathers and letting him critique your skiing with an open mind.

Greg Minnaar is the winningest all-time UCI DH mountain bike racer. He has a coach that has never won a World Cup. Same with most every FIS World Cup skier.

Phil Jackson wasn't half the basketball player Michael Jordan was, but he made Jordan a much better player.
    I never took a lesson, its probably why i'm not pro.

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    I never took a lesson, its probably why i'm not pro.
    Like I said, having an open mind about it is key.

Thanks to everyone for the ski school suggestions. Mountain Masters looks fantastic, and I wish I had known about it at the beginning of the season.

Just to be clear: I am an Alta pass holder and ski resort regularly, specifically to work on ski technique. I want a professional eye because I am self-taught through this forum, videos, etc. I doubt I have perfect, ex-ski-racer form. Yes, I own skis with alpine bindings... 5 pairs...

I'm not really looking for steep skiing or big mountain/free ride skiing lessons right now. My main priority is perfect ski form on groomers.

Headed out to ski rn. Git sum, folks!

getting a fluid untracked line on a snowboard is a special feeling- and I always want my turns to look better. perfect isnt the right word but i know what you mean. Part of the appeal of snowboarding is the lack of gymnastic orthodoxy in the air- there isnt really a racing background one should have or feel any kind of way about not having. You either have good style or you dont, and youre on your own to find it.

That said I feel the same thing when I see a skier truly carving turns- its beautiful. Not as common of a sight as it should be and I have some idea of how hard it is to learn. The skill exists for boarders too but outside of some youtubers popping up the last few years, theres not much aspiration to it or body of documented knowledge.

I dont know if theres an actual skiing vs snowboarding thread somewhere, but ill hold the rest of my borderline esoteric thoughts on this matter for such a place.

An LCC skier skies a PC powder day, First Timer's Guide:

Had a ticket to use and some time this AM so woke up at 6, saw that PC got hammered overnight as well and made the call to head up. My idea was to head up early and use my LCC snake skills to beat crowds around PC and ski some pow.

Left at 630, 80 was a mess, but arrived at the cabriolet at 730. Not bad. Probably the worst drive to go skiing this year.

Cabriolet isn't running, I ask some employees and they saw its on wind hold. I download the high valley transit app and get picked up and dropped off at canyons village around 8.

Around the time I parked PC sent an alert that Canyons would be delayed due to wind, and staff were recommending people start their day at PCMR. Seeing as my goal was to be out of there around lunch I didn't want to spend the time to take the bus, assumed long lines at PCMR, etc.

Around 830 I got a burrito and coffee in canyons village. Talked to some locals, hung out for a bit. Around 10 I went back out and started to walk around and see if I could figure anything out. By this time they had started opening upper mountain canyons lifts (wtf) but nothing from the base. PCMR was almost all open besides Jupiter. Ugh.

Got in line for the gondola around 11 or so with the knowledge that the quicksilver gondola had opened so all of the PCMR skiers would be able to come across and ski all the canyons pow. Heard that they had to plow out the gondola so left the singles line and went over to orange bubble. Stood in that line for a bit when a read coat said it would be "at least 1" that they'd open. Left that line wondering what to do.

Ended up back in the gondola line once they finally started to move the lift again around 1230, and just after 1 they finally opened. Good news was Saddleback had quite a bit of pow, but not quite a bit of pitch. DEEP up there, like thigh deep.

Skied a few, then decided I should probably actually start to leave and worked my way back to Orange Bubble where my final lap was a mankhotpow run to the base.

Overall, a very weird day. Skied 4.5 runs and home by 330 I was ready to leave by 1030, then 1130, then 12, then figured I should wait it out and actually ski since I had spent so much time waiting already. Didn't wait in a lift line though once the lifts opened.

(in hindsight I should have gone to PCMR at like 730 AM straight from the cabriolet lot, got in line, and would have been skiing a ton of pow by 9. instead I skied not as much pow and stood around for like 6 hours)

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post

Had a ticket to use and some time this AM so woke up at 6, saw that PC got hammered overnight as well and made the call to head up. My idea was to head up early and use my LCC snake skills to beat crowds around PC and ski some pow.

Left at 630, 80 was a mess, but arrived at the cabriolet at 730. Not bad. Probably the worst drive to go skiing this year.

Cabriolet isn't running, I ask some employees and they saw its on wind hold. I download the high valley transit app and get picked up and dropped off at canyons village around 8.

Around the time I parked PC sent an alert that Canyons would be delayed due to wind, and staff were recommending people start their day at PCMR. Seeing as my goal was to be out of there around lunch I didn't want to spend the time to take the bus, assumed long lines at PCMR, etc.

Around 830 I got a burrito and coffee in canyons village. Talked to some locals, hung out for a bit. Around 10 I went back out and started to walk around and see if I could figure anything out. By this time they had started opening upper mountain canyons lifts (wtf) but nothing from the base. PCMR was almost all open besides Jupiter. Ugh.

Got in line for the gondola around 11 or so with the knowledge that the quicksilver gondola had opened so all of the PCMR skiers would be able to come across and ski all the canyons pow. Heard that they had to plow out the gondola so left the singles line and went over to orange bubble. Stood in that line for a bit when a read coat said it would be "at least 1" that they'd open. Left that line wondering what to do.

Ended up back in the gondola line once they finally started to move the lift again around 1230, and just after 1 they finally opened. Good news was Saddleback had quite a bit of pow, but not quite a bit of pitch. DEEP up there, like thigh deep.

Skied a few, then decided I should probably actually start to leave and worked my way back to Orange Bubble where my final lap was a mankhotpow run to the base.

Overall, a very weird day. Skied 4.5 runs and home by 330 I was ready to leave by 1030, then 1130, then 12, then figured I should wait it out and actually ski since I had spent so much time waiting already. Didn't wait in a lift line though once the lifts opened.

(in hindsight I should have gone to PCMR at like 730 AM straight from the cabriolet lot, got in line, and would have been skiing a ton of pow by 9. instead I skied not as much pow and stood around for like 6 hours)
    If there's any wind at all, smart move is to go to PCMR. Park at Canyons, take the bus (or shuttle if they're running it) to PCMR then either bus back to Canyons parking lot or ski back via Quicksilver gondola.

Was there this morning and had some insane laps under crescent lift. Left around noon so not sure if Jupiter opened. Pro move is to lap Thaynes unitil Jupiter opens and once it does, lap the West face and Scott's bowl (if they're open).
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

anyone slide through/float/immerse themselves on/in snow today?

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    I'm not really looking for steep skiing or big mountain/free ride skiing lessons right now. My main priority is perfect ski form on groomers.
    Oh, hah, LOL. Maybe inquire with someone at the Bird's race program? Deer Valley?!

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post

I was dropping off kids at 8:00. Saw the cabriolet wasn’t spinning, so diverted to PCMR base. They had a good school snow day. Buses between the bases are every 15 minutes, so pretty painless if the traffic is moving. Hitting white rim in the morning, so I took the day off. Sorry it wasn’t better for you.

Oh, hah, LOL.
    I also presumed CirqueScaler wanted to be better known for CirqueDescending, ha. PM bushwacker for groomer tips I guess?

I also presumed CirqueScaler wanted to be better known for CirqueDescending, ha. PM bushwacker for groomer tips I guess?
    Oh, hah, LOL. Maybe inquire with someone at the Bird's race program? Deer Valley?!
    https://youtube.com/@DebArmstrongSkiStrong

I hate to muck up the Utard thread too much but...

She is seriously great at explaining stuff in simple terms and youtubes is free and nobody trying to teach dolphin turns. Watching her has helped me help my girl make breakthroughs when she gets stuck. Best cheat sheet for a race dad who wasn't a racer.

My stepson was in town for the comp this weekend at the Bird but was waitlisted (3rd out) and didn't get in, then sat in a condo all day today. Only reason I am back lurking up your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    anyone slide through/float/immerse themselves on/in snow today?
    After a lot of sitting, waiting, driving, shoveling and trailbreaking, we did manage one wallowing run.

Doremite
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7368.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	324.9 KB 
ID:	453957

Other
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7377.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	453958

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thinking about a quick trip to UT, trying to figure out if it's worth it to leave Tahoe. What are the chances of getting some skiing in on Monday/Tuesday vs. sitting in traffic/avalanche closures/full on shit shows? We're Ikonic, not necessarily set on a particular area, open to advice on best storm day options that aren't Alta or DV. Would be leaving here Sunday afternoon, driving back Wed maybe after a few runs in the morning, but if it looks like things will be shut down might just have to stay home and ski the mere foot or so we got coming to us.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Thinking about a quick trip to UT, trying to figure out if it's worth it to leave Tahoe. What are the chances of getting some skiing in on Monday/Tuesday vs. sitting in traffic/avalanche closures/full on shit shows? We're Ikonic, not necessarily set on a particular area, open to advice on best storm day options that aren't Alta or DV. Would be leaving here Sunday afternoon, driving back Wed maybe after a few runs in the morning, but if it looks like things will be shut down might just have to stay home and ski the mere foot or so we got coming to us.
    Winter storm watch has been issued for Sunday 12noon to Tuesday 6pm. Sounds like you have an Ikon base pass so Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton, and Snowbasin are going to be your options near SLC. Depending on snowfall, you could eventually get up to Snowbird on Monday and probably a very good chance on Tuesday. Solitude or Brighton are also possibilities as BCC tends to stay open when LCC closes... but will depend on the amount of snowfall and avalanche mitigation work. Snowbasin could be an amazing option for any day but it is 45 miles from SLC.

I say go for it... if you can get here. Storm is coming in cold so could overproduce forecast. And whatever doesn't open on Tuesday, would probably open on Wednesday so you could get some laps in before heading back to Tahoe.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Cirque: http://skistudiopc.com/trainers.html

My daughter trained with Alan for years. Poetry in motion.....Perfect turns and keep you in ski-shape year round.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Depending on which forecast you look at you may be fine or if you prefer the NWS it will be total chaos.

Sunday Night 10-14
    Monday 14-20
    Monday Night 9-13
    Tuesday 5-9

Last pic is money Crissam ! Great motion.

Fucking Delta bagged my flight this AM along with a bunch of other EC flights ,2.days in a row now for the PHL direct. Word from knowledgeable people is that they ran out of crew hours at the end of the month and cancelled.a ton of flights last 2 days . WTF. Rebooked to get in late tonight but stormy here today so we will see.if it happens.

Given the recent forecast, I feel like there is going to be a challenge getting up to my room at the Bird if I get cancelled again today. Obv no one knows for sure with weather, but what time would you all anticipate the canyon closing Sunday PM into Monday ?

you and your ikon pass should just stay in Tahoe. LCC won’t open on Monday just like yesterday. Every ikoneer in Utah will be up BCC, it will be a cluster fuck and you won’t find anywhere to park. Tuesday if LCC opens it will be a giant ikonic shitshow of epic proportions. Long way to drive to spend hours in traffic and maybe get to ski a little.

Duff, 9pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Last pic is money Crissam ! Great motion.

Fucking Delta bagged my flight this AM along with a bunch of other EC flights ,2.days in a row now for the PHL direct. Word from knowledgeable people is that they ran out of crew hours at the end of the month and cancelled.a ton of flights last 2 days . WTF. Rebooked to get in late tonight but stormy here today so we will see.if it happens.

Given the recent forecast, I feel like there is going to be a challenge getting up to my room at the Bird if I get cancelled again today. Obv no one knows for sure with weather, but what time would you all anticipate the canyon closing Sunday PM into Monday ?
    10pm has the been the popular nightly closing time this year

Sent a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)