Page 42 of 97 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 2417
    Always new it as Ralphies. RIP. Poor kid. He’s been replaced.

Jersey shore is hilarious. In a sad way.

How can you exit a gate with no gear and no clue?

sorry I never connected with any of the local maggots, was traveling with 3 others in tow which made coordinating a challenge. Had some good grub and drinks and got a powder morning before we had to jet. Had a blast, I will be back!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Good turns again today. Snow holding up really nicely. A bit bummed that I didn’t run into any mags though. Hoping to catch a burger or Indian with some tonight. Here are a few obligatory kings and queens photos.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C7C27D4C-0FE2-458F-B86E-3CB28D330C2F.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	840.9 KB 
ID:	446659
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20E53C83-BE6D-497D-99B7-5229EABB88B4.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	565.7 KB 
ID:	446660
    Name:  C88CD797-CB0F-4214-8A5B-94D852B11067.jpeg
Views: 944
Size:  294.0 KB
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

pretty, pretty, pretty good out there.

Name:	041A1629.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	446698

Definitely NOT Kings & Queens... but definitely deeper and softer landings.

Name:	041A1746.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	446699

Poof!

Name:	041A1766.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	886.2 KB 
ID:	446700

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Always new it as Ralphies. RIP. Poor kid. He’s been replaced.

Jersey shore is hilarious. In a sad way.

How can you exit a gate with no gear and no clue?
    And why is it so many groups with zero knowledge or preparation always seem to end up in this area? It would almost be better if the ill prepared groups went out the lower rock springs gate instead. Sure, plenty of places to get in trouble there too, but it seems like Ralphs is the biggest idiot magnet with very high consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    And why is it so many groups with zero knowledge or preparation always seem to end up in this area? It would almost be better if the ill prepared groups went out the lower rock springs gate instead. Sure, plenty of places to get in trouble there too, but it seems like Ralphs is the biggest idiot magnet with very high consequences.
    Because the terrain is legit confusing (what is now being called the Jersey Shore). Often there are tracks (LOTS of tracks) from people who ducked out the top gate for some pow turns and are dipping in back lower....and you've got folks hitting Spacewalk & other lines. It's a convex roller that can have attractive-looking snow, and you don't REALLY know you're in the shit until it's nearly too late.

I have thousands of days at JHMR, and I can tell you I have had a few times where I didn't quite line up Zero G or Zero Walk (it's actually how I first skied Zero Walk) or M&M, etc.... but I did have skills and gear and wherewithal to correct my error.

Point is, it seems straightforward but pretty damn quickly can get confusing.

Humans follow tracks. We're kinda programmed to. I learned very early on when I was first coming here (early 90s) that you have to be REALLY careful following tracks @ JHMR because they might end in a 100' cliff. That's not the case at most other places in the world, so it is normal (but perhaps dumb) for people to blindly follow tracks.

The easy-access/high-consequence/very-attractive nature of that terrain is a cruel combination.

Also, found this cool frame from today's tour. It was more action-packed than I thought. Something in there for everyone... even @schwerty!

Name:	041A1626fun.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	446702

That zone, Ralph's, is basically the southern end of all of rendezvous bowl. It's kind of a natural extension of the inbounds.

It's on the way to Cody and points south. It's very appealing from above so lining up entries to Space and Zero are always a bit tricky unless you have landmarks, of which there are few natural ones.

Anything skiers right of those two become triple black and rarely skiable unless stout coverage. Then yeah but only since fat skis.

The field is a classic rollover and in a major wind deposition area being leeward of Cody/pucker ridge. It can lay up in there deep and one good ski cut can send a looong crack across.

But it's always been that way. There's just way too many people thinking going out there is ok.
    The resort could discourage stupid behavior more but they don't. Freedumbs and whatnot.
    The dontknowdontgo slogan is a laughable parody of the attitude that should prevail.

Ours is a risky sport.
    The Tetons can be deadly cruel.

Back in Colorado. Good to meet up with DJ and get some laps in. Was a good time. Enjoyed shooting the shit with ya on the lifts. Hope the back keeps getting better and thanks for the advise.

Quote Originally Posted by thommy21 View Post
    Back in Colorado. Good to meet up with DJ and get some laps in. Was a good time. Enjoyed shooting the shit with ya on the lifts. Hope the back keeps getting better and thanks for the advise.
    Right on Mag, enjoyed the laps. I was committed to some turns witcha as last time was so fleeting. Next time, many laps and deep turns.
    You heal up too, we'll put the hammer down next trip.

Headed out this morning looking forwards to a nice day in the bc.
    Powder was plentiful and light. And while the drive out of town was sunny with some cloud on the higher peaks, the skin soon turned soupy, with no views of the bowls we planned to ski.
    Plans quickly changed to try some lower lying terrain.
    What we found was as untracked and fine a powder run as expected. (Though certainly not as deep as UAN’s)

Name:	800ACBE2-BF24-47FE-B6A0-5523A3F3AE0C.jpeg 
Views:	99 
Size:	344.9 KB 
ID:	446748

Name:	AEC6EDC6-FA62-44D1-98A6-81A8A4125BBE.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	344.0 KB 
ID:	446749

Schindlerpiste, good running into you, mrs. and the pooch
    the other day.
    Be back to skiing the village Friday on. Looking forwards to
    skiing with some of you mags again.

Hey!!!!

2BJenny - give us a shout sister.

and Xtine,

and Passholer,

and ...

Dang it's skiing like a powder morning this afternoon. Sun illuminated the bowl and it was full charge. Love it when the wind fills in the bumps. Alta Chute full speed into the gut and the rocks are covered, sweet, keep going! To an untouched but crunchy Sublette ridge. Pretty sweet

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Hey!!!!

2BJenny - give us a shout sister.

and Xtine,

and Passholer,

and ...
    Hey! I've been lurking here all season. I hurt my foot and it's been slow to recover. I've been too afraid to even try any xc skiing in the "backyard" in fear of setting back the the progress I've made in getting it healed, much less a ski boot. I'm slowly starting to add activity and hopefully be back next season!

Name:	041A1775.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	690.6 KB 
ID:	446803

Thread seems to be losing a bit o' steam...

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    That zone, Ralph's, is basically the southern end of all of rendezvous bowl. It's kind of a natural extension of the inbounds.

It's on the way to Cody and points south. It's very appealing from above so lining up entries to Space and Zero are always a bit tricky unless you have landmarks, of which there are few natural ones.

Anything skiers right of those two become triple black and rarely skiable unless stout coverage. Then yeah but only since fat skis.

The field is a classic rollover and in a major wind deposition area being leeward of Cody/pucker ridge. It can lay up in there deep and one good ski cut can send a looong crack across.

But it's always been that way. There's just way too many people thinking going out there is ok.
    The resort could discourage stupid behavior more but they don't. Freedumbs and whatnot.
    The dontknowdontgo slogan is a laughable parody of the attitude that should prevail.

Ours is a risky sport.
    The Tetons can be deadly cruel.
    ^^ all of this.

Just had a friend (who has been around long enough to know) tell me he ran into some trouble on that ridge the other day. It's legit tricky!

uan - I love that one. Something about how much the orange pops compared to the rest.

It's like a car ad - but with a skier.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Dang it's skiing like a powder morning this afternoon. Sun illuminated the bowl and it was full charge. Love it when the wind fills in the bumps. Alta Chute full speed into the gut and the rocks are covered, sweet, keep going! To an untouched but crunchy Sublette ridge. Pretty sweet

Walk-on trams and ski on lifts added to the fun skiing at the village this afternoon. Somehow I hit one of those rocks in Alta 1, though.

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    ^^ all of this.

Just had a friend (who has been around long enough to know) tell me he ran into some trouble on that ridge the other day. It's legit tricky!
    Makes sense. Every time I've been out those gates ,it's with someone who knows a hell of a lot more than me, so it's unfair for me to judge how difficult the routefinding is.

Cy killed it with the insta post today. lol

Name:	Image1675903774.257691.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	456.1 KB 
ID:	446811

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post

Nice dude, I forced a rest day upon myself and it was tough while the nuking was happening.
    Way to get after it this season.
    Mileage, that's where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Hey! I've been lurking here all season. I hurt my foot and it's been slow to recover. I've been too afraid to even try any xc skiing in the "backyard" in fear of setting back the the progress I've made in getting it healed, much less a ski boot. I'm slowly starting to add activity and hopefully be back next season!
    Yoyoyo, alright, glad yer still close and ears are up.

Bummer about the foot. Treat it right and we'll ski yas as soon as we can.
    Holla if yer in the hood...

That is cool. I want to buy a card like that

Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Are concerts at the Mangy Moose all general admission? Can you buy tickets at the door (day of, day before, or even just at time of show)?

We're going to be in Jackson and a band called Metalachi is playing while we're there. Metal mariachi. I feel like I can't miss this...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    uan - I love that one. Something about how much the orange pops compared to the rest.

It's like a car ad - but with a skier.
    Haha... thank you! I've had a number of ski partners realize their green & black costumes look like a tree — and they've shown up with brighter stuff bc THEY wanted a better pic!

Makes sense. Every time I've been out those gates ,it's with someone who knows a hell of a lot more than me, so it's unfair for me to judge how difficult the routefinding is.
    I've had vertigo on Laramie traverse and fully skied into the uphill side when a squall kicked up. I've had other times where I stopped moving but thought I was still going (or the opposite). It doesn't take much to get turned around.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Cy killed it with the insta post today. lol

Name:	Image1675903774.257691.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	456.1 KB 
ID:	446811
    yeah those are great! how many people on the planet get the one about Shift bindings??

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Are concerts at the Mangy Moose all general admission? Can you buy tickets at the door (day of, day before, or even just at time of show)?

We're going to be in Jackson and a band called Metalachi is playing while we're there. Metal mariachi. I feel like I can't miss this...
    All GA. You can get tickets at the door, unless they sell out (and some shows do).

Metal mariachi sounds fun/funny.

Hey all, hope its ok to barge in on your thread. I am over from Europe for 3 weeks. Yesterday was half way. Have the Monday to Friday pass and had sm great days already at the village and some ob. I prefer to ski out of bounds, but a lot of people I know in town from coming here for a few seasons until 2015 either work or just do tramlaps. Managed to do Granite, 4 shadows with friends but don’t want to venture anywhere on my own. Also would like to ski the pass at the weekend. The friend I stay with tours a lot, so can join him, but some of his days are too big. I am a solid skier, but maybe can’t quite keep up with some of the locals hiking or skiing speed. Only brought my heavy (shift) setup as didn’t want to fly over 2 sets of skis. Great for resort, slows me down when touring. If anybody fancies a run send me a pm

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post

All GA. You can get tickets at the door, unless they sell out (and some shows do).

Metal mariachi sounds fun/funny.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.