Page 79 of 97 FirstFirst ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 2417
    Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Would add the f*re risk is growing so not really a haven. Can barely build here now, see how long it takes to rebuild when a hundred homeowners are trying to do the same thing. I doubt most people's insurance policies will cover that added expense as well

There are places to refuge but probably not here. Point taken on the winter aspect though.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    I just read an article the other day on how home insurance is becoming unattainable for a lot of homeowners as "natural" disasters increase and more homes are built in the most vulnerable areas. I'm not a negative Nancy like some of my posts may sound, nope but I'm a realist and don't care to hide my head from what's happening. This attitude of mine actually helps me enjoy every day and make the most of it. I don't get worked up over change anymore or things that are going to happen regardless of what I do. It's not worth it but I do like hitting people up with a good dose of reality.

That RS lift is going to happen but most of us will be too old to enjoy it or be angry over it.

I'm hoping to get my kid up there this winter before things get TOO fucky. One more ride in the Teets and maybe a stop to show her LCC and after that I may be done with the hot ticket places. It likely could be my last time skiing or visiting Jackson in the winter, life is short and there's a lot of other. experiences I'd like to have before it's over.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I bet it happens within the next 20 years.

If the climate science is right an RS lift isn't going to kill the should of ski areas like Jxn but the prices and crowding will.

I get a a bit of a laugh when I hear people that live in a place like Jxn that they feel safe from the affects of a warming climate. If anything it's going to become a 100 times more unaffordable for working type folks to live, work and play there. The few safe places that will offer the most reliable winter recreation will become so expensive that only the wealthiest people would even consider recreational pursuits like skiing. As the demand grows and the product diminishes with only a few locations that make any sense for a ski areas to actually be worth operating the public land managers will be forced to let resorts expand to appease that demand. With all of that there will have to be lotteries, reservations and ridiculously high entrance fees to even think about going skiing.

I'm already feeling this. The more money skiing costs me the less value I see in participating any more. Climate science aside there's just too many fucking people now. Things are getting real fucky.

Get it while ya can.
    only hope is AI will take the cushy office jobs away from those people who are clocked in at work while riding the lift..recession hits and lowers overall prices

just a pipe dream> but you never know?

AI cant replace maintenance working class type jobs..then we'll be back in drivers seat!

of course, i'll prob be 85 yrs old and not able to ski off-piste at that point but, i'd sure like to be able to afford golfing again

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    They are going to run the traverse from there to Thunder in one long run methinks. Getting rid of the Z cut.

And gonna try and sell some stuff there at Bear flats, that building and pond area.
    They're getting rid of the z cut so that they can get the heavy equipment up there to replace Sublette next year. I've also heard that the Bear Flats cabin is going to be moved to the split between the Grand and Thunder Bumps and reopened.

Was the Z cut the S in SEX some people claimed to see up on the mountain from across the valley?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    They're getting rid of the z cut so that they can get the heavy equipment up there to replace Sublette next year. I've also heard that the Bear Flats cabin is going to be moved to the split between the Grand and Thunder Bumps and reopened.
    Huh, well there ya go.

Moving that building up there seems like a lesson in futility and why there of all places?

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Was the Z cut the S in SEX some people claimed to see up on the mountain from across the valley?

No, Rendezvous trail as it zig zags is the S.
    Alta chutes make the E.
    Thunder bumps and thunder liftline make the X.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other news, I went into Bridger center upstairs and the amount of sale stuff is nuts. All locals owe it to themselves to get in there asap. Waaay more than usual leftover gear and softgoods.
    Tons of sweet kids deals too.
    40-60% off.
    Lotsa shifts...
    and marker clamps.

Sweet, thanks for the heads up DJ.

Think I saw ya on the bike while I was heading back into town on Hwy 22 around 1pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    I sincerely hope they don't put it there. That's one of my favorite areas on the mountain for going mach looney when clear - whatever the trail adjacent to the entrance to tower three is, ride under the tram line and veer onto grand. Whole thing is gunna be a slow zone if they put the cabin there.

Beautiful day

Of course you can see the excavation for whatever McMansion is going up on the butte ... missed that with the naked eye

First nice day for a spin on the moto.

Saw 2 bald eagles wrestling with a raven mid flight just above traffic level.

Then saw a bear on south park loop beside the bike path. Maybe 1 or 2 years old. Honey brown and healthy.

Here is some summer stoke from Saturday evening on the Snake-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230604_090444_781_exported_6700-01.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	490.0 KB 
ID:	460975

^ That's crazy. I'm a huge baby when it comes to whitewater, I'd probably skydive before I did that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    ^ That's crazy. I'm a huge baby when it comes to whitewater, I'd probably skydive before I did that shit.

OOf, not me. My paraglider buds would take me up tandem anytime, just to brag that someone finally got me on a wing. Noooo Thanks.

Kevo, nice line thru lunch counter. Pretty good wave trains.

I rafted that when it was just below 38,000 cfs, yeah, that's right, back in June of 97.

90sick-90heaven snowpack closed the canyon for many weeks due to slides both snow and mud/dirt/debris.

Of course I got pulled in...

It took about 3 minutes to get from put in to the take out.

DJ, if you see your sky crack buddies around, ask them about flying this summer.

Sound like it's back on but my style is to have a local connection and feel welcome.

Oh, I'll kayak the shit outta lunch counter at the same time!

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

DJ, if you see your sky crack buddies around, ask them about flying this summer.

Sound like it's back on but my style is to have a local connection and feel welcome.

Oh, I'll kayak the shit outta lunch counter at the same time!

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

Not sure I'm following that.

You wanna come up and have me introduce you to some of the main fliers?
    That would not be a problem.

30 year guys offa the resort summit. Some distance milers too.
    And they're flying already, chatted with one of the principles a day or two ago.

Say when.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    That section of the snake is very swimmable. Not to downplay the danger of whitewater by any means, but just about every rapid on that section safe to swim. It's worth a try if you get a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

Kevo, nice line thru lunch counter. Pretty good wave trains.

I rafted that when it was just below 38,000 cfs, yeah, that's right, back in June of 97.

90sick-90heaven snowpack closed the canyon for many weeks due to slides both snow and mud/dirt/debris.

Of course I got pulled in...

It took about 3 minutes to get from put in to the take out.
    Thanks!

38,000 CFS?! Dude that is wild. I don't think I'd go out at that level. Everything must have been moving so fast and some of the waves must have been huge!

If you guys have not read “The Emerald Mile,” you should. So so good.
    https://www.amazon.com/Emerald-Mile-...b-93807211cd77
    skid luxury

Finally scored some Slough Creek reservations! We got cancelled last year and have been struggling for months to secure some for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    That section of the snake is very swimmable. Not to downplay the danger of whitewater by any means, but just about every rapid on that section safe to swim. It's worth a try if you get a chance!

Thanks!

38,000 CFS?! Dude that is wild. I don't think I'd go out at that level. Everything must have been moving so fast and some of the waves must have been huge!
    I had a swim in 3 oar deal that I don't care to repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Finally scored some Slough Creek reservations! We got cancelled last year and have been struggling for months to secure some for this season.
    Jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    That's the rapid I wouldn't want to swim. If you know where it is it's pretty easy to avoid thankfully.

Second that. Outstanding book.

Emerald Mile.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Took a swim down Crystal....hard pass on repeating that one.

Wildlife and wildflowers have been off the chain lately. I guess 25 consecutive May/June days with rain helps with the flowers.

A few recent captures. More on IG if ya feel like looking.

Name:	041a1331L.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	461992

Name:	041A1373-3.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	461988

Name:	041A1028.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	461990

Name:	041A0937-2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	461991

Name:	041A0393.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	461989

UpAllNight crushes it on the camera winter and summer. Hot Damn.

And @NewYayBum- swimming Crystal sounds miserable, though I would love to run the Grand Canyon at some point.

Someone told me that Grand Canyon trips find you and not the other way around. Having run Rim-River-Rim I'd love to get back there. Being in the canyon on foot totally blew me away.

Just wondering how long that lens is. Beautiful pics (as always).

We have a nesting pair of Bald Eagles on the lake that I spend summers at. iPhone camera does not do justice but they are amazingly beautiful creatures.