Page 64 of 97 FirstFirst ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 2417
    Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Headphones with your favorite tunes, or a set of earplugs, can be very useful in the tram line.
    #truth!!

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Anyone ever heard of that? Sounds like a title he'd bestow upon himself.
    That made me laugh—and I bet you are right.

I’m also laughing because we are literally on a site where we have all created nicknames for ourselves.

(Yes I def understand the difference, and it feels like a name he would tell others who may not know any better with the hope it gets repeated often enough to stick.)

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    Mr Francis hit Iggy (on the first clear day this week I believe) one of only eight total descents I believe. Also saw what would have been base ski launch tracks on it today...fuckin gnarley stuff.
    Wow, only 8? Didn't realize that. So there's Tierney, SkiJunky, and Francis. That leaves 5... Any other mags on that list?

First descent on that face of Cody that I can remember was John Griber's snowboard line, called Shirley's, after his mother who, iirc had passed recently to cancer; early 90's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tooka few laps today, saw Kokomas and clan at the summit peeling out. Didn't last too long but skiing was getting better and heading towards corn zone.

Grabbed those skis from da sponge so a shout out, thanks to ya mag. We'll get those in rotation asap. In good shape, just need some luvins.

Saw EoB's buds but nary a sign of the young buck. Hmmmmmm...
    Hopefully Tyler didn't sky the cat track again. That was epic.

going to leave this here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1679269476.372089.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	452482

Balls.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Sometimes we call Sandwich Man Tram Tom, so maybe confusion there?

This year got a dose of Todd at 6:30 am in line and he got roasted by buildings and grounds who were shoveling in front of guest services- that's 50 feet out and 20 feet down- "Hey Todd, its 6:30, can you please shut up?"

In the past he was a prolific poster here.

FWIW I have loaded my instagram with all baby pigs, goats, kittens, puppies, pet raccoons. And skiing and surfing.

At this point 20 people could cut me in line and I'll just be back watching those adorable little fuckers.
    The market is dominated by fat skis largely because young toughs want what they see in videos: organ donors hucking into heliski bowls. -Seth Masia

Sandwich Tom is the best tram rider. Always happy. And chill. And willing to chat.
    Some of you old fucks were ice chilly, twenty plus years ago. But Tom always had a smile. Still does.

Who the fuck popped that base on igneous? Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Sandwich Tom is the best tram rider.
    ^^^ Hey... I feel like that's an opinion up for debate!

I remember with certain people it felt like I'd made it when the acknowledged my presence. Took a LONG time for that with some folks.

Sometimes ya gotta earn it/put in the time.

Not my best work, but found some cold winter snow today.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	041A9699.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	452519

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGaper View Post
    Sometimes we call Sandwich Man Tram Tom, so maybe confusion there?

This year got a dose of Todd at 6:30 am in line and he got roasted by buildings and grounds who were shoveling in front of guest services- that's 50 feet out and 20 feet down- "Hey Todd, its 6:30, can you please shut up?"

In the past he was a prolific poster here.

FWIW I have loaded my instagram with all baby pigs, goats, kittens, puppies, pet raccoons. And skiing and surfing.

At this point 20 people could cut me in line and I'll just be back watching those adorable little fuckers.
    Yeah, I know his old handle.

Your avoidance plan is superior to my drown them all out and rock out in the headphones approach.

Sandwich man... I call him Tom in the offseason but Sammy all winter.
    I doubt highly that he'd pull around some guy from elsewhere for long. Most locs aren't gonna last more than a few hours chasing him around.
    He is about as easygoing as they get but he can be riled, I know.

UaN and I were talking tonight about being on the tramdock waiting for a big pow opening, and how for us it's like a group of our friends hanging out in the living room. But for visitors, that's a new concept. Small town life on the Big One.

Something that may have escaped many of you, consider this: Wstdeep traversed ACROSS Pucker face. That may well be the first horizontal descent of that face ever. Only in an emergency would one do that, and hey, a lot of motherfuckers would've gone around.
    Dudes kinda ballsy.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1092 (2).JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	574.5 KB 
ID:	452521  
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

TIIIIIIITTTTTTTAAAAAAYYYYYYZZZZZ!

Blower day

Re traversing Pucker: calculated risk...lots of skier traffic on the upper reaches the previous few days, sun baked/refrozen cycles for those days as well. I thought it was my fastest route to cross, get as much elevation gain as possible and then put on skins for the rest of the climb. It worked out though I am sure that some people the day after looked at the tracks and wondered who the idiot was that skied across pucker and never even made a turn !

JACKSON 2022/23 {Tetons, Snakes, Gros Ventre, Winds, Wyoming Range, etc.)

OK. I just told the wstdeep story to Mrs. plug, and we both think that’s about the coolest thing we’ve heard in a long time. Very similar to the Cody/Bjarne rescue a few years ago while doing the fifty. Chapeau.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Sandwich Tom is the best tram rider. Always happy. And chill. And willing to chat.
    Some of you old fucks were ice chilly, twenty plus years ago. But Tom always had a smile. Still does.

Who the fuck popped that base on igneous? Balls
    It's great to hear Tom is still on the dock. I agree with everything mentioned and would add that at first glance his skiing style is unassuming. It's old school fall line skiing, clean and smooth but definitely not flashy. Much like Coombs was. You might not think he's all that fast until you try and hold his wheel on a top to bottom run down a manky, bumped out Lower Face and he rips the legs off ya!

I used to always say that Jackson was cold and uninviting at first but once you prove yourself and stick around for a while you make lifelong friends. The bonds you create with others skiing those mountains is pretty special.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

A few photos from our recent three days of high pressure this winter.

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/the_h...780124402.html

Weren't y'all just talking about the dangers of that first crux in Central? It sounds like this gal feel there or somewhere just above there. As mentioned, it ain't no place to fall. After the first crux it widens but man is it steep af before the exit air iirc. It's been a good year, is the exit air becoming a lot more manageable? Central definitely gets more takers once it's a simple 10-15 foot drop out of there.

If so @EOB it's about as easy as it gets. You should get a lap in.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I’m heading over to Wilson tomorrow and plan on skiing the Vil Wednesday through Sunday. When I lined this trip up a month ago I figured I’d be skiing spring groomers. Right now looks like might be powder every day! Give me a holler if anyone wants to ski a few laps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/the_h...780124402.html

Weren't y'all just talking about the dangers of that first crux in Central? It sounds like this gal feel there or somewhere just above there. As mentioned, it ain't no place to fall. After the first crux it widens but man is it steep af before the exit air iirc. It's been a good year, is the exit air becoming a lot more manageable? Central definitely gets more takers once it's a simple 10-15 foot drop out of there.

If so @EOB it's about as easy as it gets. You should get a lap in.
    Props to the witness, wstdeep.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    Props to the witness, wstdeep.

Ahh, already mentioned and the catalyst for the discussion. My bad.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Howdy Boys - heading out your way from SLC going to be doing a couple days resort, couple BC. If any y'all are looking to link up and want to tool around JHMR or want an extra set of legs to put the skinner / booter in, shoot me PM! Wouldnt mind hitting some larger lines in the park (thinking Teewinot or some of the lesser knowns) if conditions permit given the weather rolling in or if you have any suggestions shoot me a PM.

Take care all!
    You took too much man, too much, too much

I went up to finish some potential line scoping on Cody yesterday. One thing I did was get right under the exit on Central and took a good look. It looks really do-able from the bootpack on the way up but it is carved out, stripped of snow and freakin Gnarly right now. There is no mid-point double tap option right now so it's 20 feet of out and thirty of down by the time you get out far enough. I would strongly encourage anyone considering a trip to take a close look from below first. It is not "in" or "easy" right now.

I also want to be accurate on how things played out re: the rescue. Once altitude to the victim was gained and contact was made it was pretty straight forward. I started getting additional layers on her and doing basic triage. My role changed a few minutes later when DR.J arrived and took over the medical aspect so all I had to do was assist... the shoulder dislocation was reduced and it was decided that there was possible back/neck damage ruling out any sort of walking her down ( in the end there wasn't ). The obvious choice was to monitor her head injury, wrap her in the inflatable burrito that patrol had arrived with ( a considerable thing to hump up there ) then get her down to a location where the heli could easily get at her. I was in a position to be able get there on a favorable timeline, provide basic aid/comfort and assist the pro's once they arrived but for sure don't want my role overstated. It could have been so much worse with so much more to deal with but she was fortunate/lucky (call it what you want) to beat the odds in a place that can kill you if you make the tiniest mistake.
    Last edited by wstdeep; 03-20-2023 at 10:24 PM.

Re: Todd...at least my view

He is a good soul that was wired at the factory a bit different than most. His stoke is sky high and that bubbles over in ways that can be a bit hard to absorb at times. In the end (like many/most of us here) he is a skier...not someone who just goes skiing. His stories are his wanting to share his stoke for the sport which never wavers... they do have a harder time getting out and can be harder than most others to absorb or understand. His world is obviously different than ours...I don't know if its harder or easier but it's different...at least until he clicks in each morning. Then we are all just junkies looking for our next hit and that same high.

I went up to finish some potential line scoping on Cody yesterday. One thing I did was get right under the exit on Central and took a good look. It looks really do-able from the bootpack on the way up but it is carved out, stripped of snow and freakin Gnarly right now. There is no mid-point double tap option right now so it's 20 feet of out and thirty of down by the time you get out far enough. I would strongly encourage anyone considering a trip to take a close look from below first. It is not "in" or "easy" right now.

I also want to be accurate on how things played out re: the rescue. Once altitude to the victim was gained and contact was made it was pretty straight forward. I started getting additional layers on her and doing basic triage. My role changed a few minutes later when DR.J arrived and took over the medical aspect so all I had to do was assist... the shoulder dislocation was reduced and it was decided that there was possible back/neck damage ruling out any sort of walking her down ( in the end there wasn't ). The obvious choice was to monitor her head injury, wrap her in the inflatable burrito that patrol had arrived with ( a considerable thing to hump up there ) then get her down to a location where the heli could easily get at her. I was in a position to be able get there on a favorable timeline, provide basic aid/comfort and assist the pro's once they arrived but for sure don't want my role overstated. It could have been so much worse with so much more to deal with but she was fortunate/lucky (call it what you want) to beat the odds in a place that can kill you if you make the tiniest mistake.
    Thank you for writing that up.

Aggressive in my own mind

Good review and admirable response on your part wstdeep. Good deeds in the mountains make for a better community and come back to you in countless ways.

Nice work wstdeep. I couldn't look the other way from someone needing help out there either but I would have been worried about what you might have found. It's good news that it wan't as bad as you probably expected or probably had mentally prepared yourself for.

On our tour day last week we had a lot of poor decisions being made around us. One group cut a good slide on an aspect that was too warm and then hung out on top. They were an experienced group and decided to go somewhere else but for a minute I was thinking, if they drop in they may likely need our help. So we kept an eye on them. Our group then had a discussion about decision making in the back country and how it can affect others. We all agreed that it's a tough line to walk properly and shit happens to the best of us and we certainly couldn't look the other way if things went sideways for a different party out there. After that we had several groups drop in directly above us on our skin track and at that point I had it. I got into a a bit of a hollering match with them on ethics and style. Arizona is tough in that regard. We have a shit ton of inexperienced people here. It's quite the shit show.
    dirtbag, not a dentist