Page 40 of 97 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 2417
    As I understand it, they went down the ridge towards Cody and turned right towards granite instead of left towards upper Rock Springs/Cody basin.
    Then stopped, went back up and over the saddle towards RS but got down the ridge a little and it gets really dangerous from there.
    That's where they parked and shat the bed.

That they couldn't haul themselves up to the summit, regardless of conditions, should preclude them from places outside the ropes in the first place.

Don't Go.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I'm confused. They dropped into Granite, climbed out and went across Rendezvous to Rock Springs? Or am I ass backwards on that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    As I understand it, they went down the ridge towards Cody and turned right towards granite instead of left towards upper Rock Springs/Cody basin.
    Then stopped, went back up and over the saddle towards RS but got down the ridge a little and it gets really dangerous from there.
    That's where they parked and shat the bed.

That they couldn't haul themselves up to the summit, regardless of conditions, should preclude them from places outside the ropes in the first place.

Don't Go.
    If we applied that standard, most of the traffic out the gates would not be able to go (including many locals). Everything's easy until it isn't. MANY people go out those gates with no pack at all — or one without any real rescue gear. How many people carry skins? Have touring bindings? Have actually practiced with gear? Have the fitness to hike through 4' of snow without snowshoes/skis/skins (that is DRAINING).

I know YOU know what's up — just pointing out the reality of the situation. How many people carry all their rescue gear? Have practiced with it? Carry extra layers.... for someone else who is in the shit?

These guys made a mistake that seems laughable from our chairs — and shit gets confusing when there's a bit of a whiteout. Who among us hasn't gotten a little turned around before? Like I said earlier, this is NOT the first time people have gone into Granite thinking it was Rock Springs.

By the time you realize you're off, you've been traveling further skier's left (thinking you will make it back towards Teton Village), which only takes you further away/deeper into Granite.

These guys were trying for hours to correct their error (pretty hard work given 4' of new snow !), and temps were sub-zero. Even cognitive processing is hard when you're THAT cold, let alone getting your body to work.

Yeah, stupid to go out un-/under-prepared, and these guys nearly died (and know that). VERY close to death.

Sure, one can crucify them. I think many people are closer than they admit to having a scenario occur in the side country that requires assistance.

Once again, it's all good until it isn't. Minimal layers are fine until you're immobile (injured or providing care).

Just my 2 cents.

UAN very sorry to hear about the housing. Will keep an ear out. And strong points there. Those dudes must have been so stoked when the call finally went through. Though not sure if service is typically hard to get over there? Wouldn't seem so

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Just got back from a trip to the Chic-Choc Mountains of Quebec. Bucket list event. Peruvian posted a great mini-TR on the East Coast thread. Some good pics (nothing UaN-worthy, but that's a high bar!). See post #1309 0n the linked page...
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-Finish/page53
    Kick ass trip! Glad you guys scored

Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    If we applied that standard, most of the traffic out the gates would not be able to go (including many locals). Everything's easy until it isn't. MANY people go out those gates with no pack at all — or one without any real rescue gear. How many people carry skins? Have touring bindings? Have actually practiced with gear? Have the fitness to hike through 4' of snow without snowshoes/skis/skins (that is DRAINING).

I know YOU know what's up — just pointing out the reality of the situation. How many people carry all their rescue gear? Have practiced with it? Carry extra layers.... for someone else who is in the shit?

These guys made a mistake that seems laughable from our chairs — and shit gets confusing when there's a bit of a whiteout. Who among us hasn't gotten a little turned around before? Like I said earlier, this is NOT the first time people have gone into Granite thinking it was Rock Springs.

By the time you realize you're off, you've been traveling further skier's left (thinking you will make it back towards Teton Village), which only takes you further away/deeper into Granite.

These guys were trying for hours to correct their error (pretty hard work given 4' of new snow !), and temps were sub-zero. Even cognitive processing is hard when you're THAT cold, let alone getting your body to work.

Yeah, stupid to go out un-/under-prepared, and these guys nearly died (and know that). VERY close to death.

Sure, one can crucify them. I think many people are closer than they admit to having a scenario occur in the side country that requires assistance.

Once again, it's all good until it isn't. Minimal layers are fine until you're immobile (injured or providing care).

Just my 2 cents.
    It definitely doesn't seem laughable from this chair, being these guys and going out into those conditions at 3 in the afternoon is absolutely terrifying to me. 3 in the afternoon man. That's fucking nuts!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Before I started breeding we went out the ropes (no gates) sometimes with no gear. Mostly with gear.
    The only broken heart would be my parents. But we knew where we were going.

Now I have kids and need to be “responsible”

“Spock o clock” is what my friend called it when he took a last AV chair and ducked behind the patrol shack. I made a few runs there. Always seemed too late in the day but we were young and fearless. And stupid.

Being older, and wiser, now I actually think about SAR and what our stupid shenanigans could cost them. The true heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Before I started breeding we went out the ropes (no gates) sometimes with no gear. Mostly with gear.

“Spock o clock” is what my friend called it when he took a last AV chair and ducked behind the patrol shack. I made a few runs there. Always seemed too late in the day but we were young and fearless. And stupid.

Being older, and wiser, now I actually think about SAR and what our stupid shenanigans could cost them. The true heroes.
    We can be sure the allure of that super deep PoW was the culprit. It's like meeting a goddess stripper you know you shouldn't touch > a good % of riders will wake up with herpes.

I've only seen that bowl from the inbounds run, but it sure looks like no place you would 'wander' into casually late in the day with bad visibility and acres of ultra deep poised to possibly bury you in a terrain trap.

But> the temptation to lap dance with it can be too much for common sense.

Few people think tragedy will happen to them until its already in motion. Glad these guys made it home

My red flags begin with a 3 pm departure into Granite with a weak phone battery.
    Can't count on a phone in the darkside but yer starting wrong with weak safety issues that are easy to keep top notch. It's like a beacon showing 45% battery capacity left. It works, but it's weak.

Recent heavy snowloads, with massive wind, creating any variety of slide potential from low to extreme.

Lowered visibility and a setting sun with a predicted low of negative temps overnight.

Patrol cabin is uphill from there, or anywhere near there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I bet shoeing back to the summit sucked.

Enough debating clucks on the side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baby's got a new pair of shoes!

I bought a new pair of 22-23 volkl m 102's and have finally mounted some clamps. Today is the day to set 'em on the silk.

My old school Mag bud from the PNdub hooked me with a form deal on these top shelf sticks. Thanks my friend, first pair of new skis in a while.

Local mag Schwerty hooked up Mag Harry with some sweet DPS'. Harry sent me the burly sth1 clamps and I mounted those last eve.
    Thanks you two devil dogs.

Helping each other out around here, that's a thing.

Just my 2 cents.
    Well said.

Out of town skiers are probably pretty whooped by 3 after skiing the Vill all day. That fatigue could have very easily been a part of making bad decisions.

UAN is right in that we all make mistakes and blasting thee kid on internet isn't very productive but this is a good reminder to think about risks, timing and how our behaviors and choices can affect others.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post

I forgot about the Spock Chutes, that's a scary zone. It was a regular go to ski for me my first season in Jackson. That was a deep and stable year.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

So does this mean we all need to chip in to get UAN a place in Jackson to keep the stoke train moving? I need my daily fix...
    Hoping it all works out for you.

DJ - nice to hear you got those clamps!

UAN - that sucks to hear about the housing. I’ll put the word out and keep my eyes open for ya.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    So does this mean we all need to chip in to get UAN a place in Jackson to keep the stoke train moving? I need my daily fix...
    I'll volunteer @rideit's basement.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I forgot about the Spock Chutes, that's a scary zone. It was a regular go to ski for me my first season in Jackson. That was a deep and stable year.
    True story…..many years ago (‘96) before OB was officially opened, I got turned around w a partner during whiteout conditions thinking we were hitting Zero. Realized about 2 turns before the cliff that we were not where we thought. After a short debate decided to hike straight back up, followed the ridge and skied back to the bottom of R bowl. A scary & humbling day for sure!
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

Moooooving along...

Party time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sweet swine2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	445557

Skied around for a while this am on the new sticks. Wow, what chargers. Snappy and powerful, lovin it.

And edges.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    UAN very sorry to hear about the housing. Will keep an ear out. And strong points there. Those dudes must have been so stoked when the call finally went through. Though not sure if service is typically hard to get over there? Wouldn't seem so
    Thanks kokomas! It happens. I won't be the last to have the door hit me on the way out if that's how it plays out!

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    UAN is right
    Just gonna leave that there for posterity. ;-) Hahah!

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    lol — what a nice thought though! The reality is there are people living in war zones at this very moment. If my time here is up, then that's a pretty minor thing in the grand scheme, ya know?

not naive enough to think I have any entitlement to be here, nor that anyone would skip a beat if I'm gone. I know how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    UAN - that sucks to hear about the housing. I’ll put the word out and keep my eyes open for ya.
    Much appreciated. That's kind of you.

Pretty dreamy today. Also, felt WARM today (+9—hah)!

Name:	041A9959.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	445577
    Last edited by upallnight; 02-01-2023 at 10:37 PM.

Probably not the right fit for UAN, since it's on the wrong side of the pass, but we'll have a 2 bedroom, 1200 sqft basement in downtown Driggs opening up in April, and then the upstairs of the same house (independent units, separate entrance, each has their own kitchen, washer, dryer, etc) opening up probably in May. Block from the Targhee shuttle, walkable to the bars, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Local mag Schwerty hooked up Mag Harry with some sweet DPS'. Harry sent me the burly sth1 clamps and I mounted those last eve.

Helping each other out around here, that's a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    DJ - nice to hear you got those clamps
    Those all-metal high-DIN bindings made a big circle and are now back in their proper home in Jackson.

I’m loving those DPS Wailer 99s. Thanks Schwerty ! But those burly bindings were just way too beefy for an old gimp like me. Glad to see Djongo putting them to good use.

This thread has so much stoke it’s unreal. Love reading it from afar.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Hippy turns with an OG wearing grandma glasses. Snow texture was incredible. Much natural slide activity observed (esp E and S).

Name:	23D3D355-358F-4BA7-82D8-D999EEDA2EFC.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	308.3 KB 
ID:	445672

Turns out I was able to take him to a place he has never been in 40+ years of Teton touring (not the spot where this pic was taken). I guess that makes me….old.

That snow does look amazing.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Have a friend out in Eidelweiss and she lost a ski. Her husband is going out with snowshoes and SAR has been contacted. She has spotty cell service. If anyone is heading out that way, I don't know, I guess keep an eye out if there is anything you can do to help. Thanks!

Hippy turns with an OG wearing grandma glasses. Snow texture was incredible. Much natural slide activity observed (esp E and S).

Turns out I was able to take him to a place he has never been in 40+ years of Teton touring (not the spot where this pic was taken). I guess that makes me….old.
    Now *that* dude knows how to make some powder turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Those all-metal high-DIN bindings made a big circle and are now back in their proper home in Jackson.

I’m loving those DPS Wailer 99s. Thanks Schwerty ! But those burly bindings were just way too beefy for an old gimp like me. Glad to see Djongo putting them to good use.

This thread has so much stoke it’s unreal. Love reading it from afar.
    Those clamps on the new M102's...

Name:	m102A.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	642.2 KB 
ID:	445818

Name:	m102.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	445816

Today I sincerely questioned whether the Din being at 11 was enough. Fucking sledgehammers, these rides.
    Makes me feel 40 again.
    Which is problematic...

Puhleeeeze, spring chicken, you are.

Go figure, an old valley skier nailing the line. It's part of the Jackson Psyche.
    With style to boot.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damn fine skiing today, groomers are really good, 9/10 and the offpiste, if a bit bumpy, is actually carving very nicely on almost any aspect.

Maybe that's just the new sharp as fuckall skis I'm on. Either way, turns are tits right now. Maybe a refresh over the weekend, fingers crossed.

Today's DH run on the Cirque:

Name:	cirque dh.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	445810

And the prepping of the Cooler for the K&Q event next week:

Name:	KQ prep.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	445811

Gonna be launchtown offa that bottom kicker...

Who's turning tomorrow? Anyone up for some speed?

Rolling into town tonight with 3 guys (two light posting mags and one non mag), staying at Cowboy Village, leaving Monday.
    Last edited by Danno; 02-02-2023 at 07:07 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy