Page 65 of 78 FirstFirst ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 1942
  1. #1601
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    7,729
    Jeezus. I cannot imagine falling down Central. When I first landed at the Village the rumors were that Central had only been skied a handful of times...ever. I don't know how true that was. I don't think anyone skied it in '89-90. I looked in and the cornice to first turn was a hard pass for me. We went and skied Twice. I still have never made turns down it. A ski in as opposed to an air in would make it a little more appealing, but that is just a rowdy line and exit. Glad she's ok. Damn.

  2. #1602
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Austria/Switzerland
    Posts
    50
    Hey all, still thinking of my time in Jackson and been missing it every day.... I canīt believe how much snow you have been getting.... unreal. Trying to ski as much as I can here, despite the more than marginal conditions. So I am thinking of buying a season pass for JH in April already as I definitely want to come back next season and trying to keep it somewhat cheaper. However, things can happen, especially as I have an old frail mum here in Europe and lots of health issues for her, but she keeps bouncing back. I emailed the season pass office about possible refunds in case you canīt use the pass and they said they look at it case by case. So just wondering if anybody has ever had to get a refund on a season pass and not been able to use it or knows how strict they are with their "no refund" policy? I may just have to risk it. If I lived locally it would be a no brainer.... I usually donīt plan anything far ahead, but as the passes sell out... guess I could always hope that they have Monday to Friday passes leftover like this year.

  3. #1603
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wilson
    Posts
    1,952
    Can only speak to injury but when I hurt my knee midseason three years ago they were on point with a pro rata refund

    Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

  4. #1604
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wilson, Wyo.
    Posts
    4,599
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/the_h...780124402.html

    Weren't y'all just talking about the dangers of that first crux in Central? It sounds like this gal feel there or somewhere just above there. As mentioned, it ain't no place to fall. After the first crux it widens but man is it steep af before the exit air iirc. It's been a good year, is the exit air becoming a lot more manageable? Central definitely gets more takers once it's a simple 10-15 foot drop out of there.
    Yes. My point is that what looks like the first crux (to a person skiing Central for the first time) is not really the first crux. The real crux (IMO) is the chocolate chip rocks that are not visible until you are on them.

    At least that is my experience.


    Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    I also want to be accurate on how things played out re: the rescue. Once altitude to the victim was gained and contact was made it was pretty straight forward. I started getting additional layers on her and doing basic triage. My role changed a few minutes later when DR.J arrived and took over the medical aspect so all I had to do was assist... the shoulder dislocation was reduced and it was decided that there was possible back/neck damage ruling out any sort of walking her down ( in the end there wasn't ). The obvious choice was to monitor her head injury, wrap her in the inflatable burrito that patrol had arrived with ( a considerable thing to hump up there ) then get her down to a location where the heli could easily get at her. I was in a position to be able get there on a favorable timeline, provide basic aid/comfort and assist the pro's once they arrived but for sure don't want my role overstated. It could have been so much worse with so much more to deal with but she was fortunate/lucky (call it what you want) to beat the odds in a place that can kill you if you make the tiniest mistake.
    Nice work! Helping others is important. When you stop to think about we are actually a pretty small community doing a niche activity (esp those skiing those kinds of lines, regardless of style).

    I've shown up first on scene expecting someone to be dead. Sobering to say the least.

    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post

    On our tour day last week we had a lot of poor decisions being made around us.
    Sounds wild. When touring in popular spots, I think it is not just important but necessary to consider whether other people might make poor decisions that will impact (y)our party — and also to consider how our own actions may put others in harm's way... including putting other people in a situation where they become rescuers.

    In extreme cases, that may include going somewhere else altogether. I realize that is not an option everywhere.


    Screen capture from today, before the sun came out. Can't rate it a 10/10 day because I saw and crossed some old tracks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 3.23.24 PM.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	776.6 KB 
ID:	452697

  5. #1605
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down on Electric Avenue
    Posts
    3,770
    I got a refund on my pass once.

    Once.


    And not by choice.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Skiinggirl - stoked that you took the time to meet up and hang with us. We'll be looking forward to skiing ya next season.

    If ya have a genuine injury, they're pretty fair about cashing you out. Anything other than that is unlikely to be refunded.

  6. #1606
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Driggs
    Posts
    625
    Targhee was great this am. Old Targhee vibe was in full force.

  7. #1607
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    F'n Midwest again
    Posts
    2,551
    Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Yes. My point is that what looks like the first crux (to a person skiing Central for the first time) is not really the first crux. The real crux (IMO) is the chocolate chip rocks that are not visible until you are on them.

    At least that is my experience.




    Nice work! Helping others is important. When you stop to think about we are actually a pretty small community doing a niche activity (esp those skiing those kinds of lines, regardless of style).

    I've shown up first on scene expecting someone to be dead. Sobering to say the least.



    Sounds wild. When touring in popular spots, I think it is not just important but necessary to consider whether other people might make poor decisions that will impact (y)our party ó and also to consider how our own actions may put others in harm's way... including putting other people in a situation where they become rescuers.

    In extreme cases, that may include going somewhere else altogether. I realize that is not an option everywhere.


    Screen capture from today, before the sun came out. Can't rate it a 10/10 day because I saw and crossed some old tracks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 3.23.24 PM.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	776.6 KB 
ID:	452697
    Iím liking the shift to the solo series. Appreciate you keeping up the stream of images Ö.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Aggressive in my own mind

  8. #1608
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Eagle, Idaho
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by skiinggirl View Post
    Hey all, still thinking of my time in Jackson and been missing it every day.... I canīt believe how much snow you have been getting.... unreal. Trying to ski as much as I can here, despite the more than marginal conditions. So I am thinking of buying a season pass for JH in April already as I definitely want to come back next season and trying to keep it somewhat cheaper. However, things can happen, especially as I have an old frail mum here in Europe and lots of health issues for her, but she keeps bouncing back. I emailed the season pass office about possible refunds in case you canīt use the pass and they said they look at it case by case. So just wondering if anybody has ever had to get a refund on a season pass and not been able to use it or knows how strict they are with their "no refund" policy? I may just have to risk it. If I lived locally it would be a no brainer.... I usually donīt plan anything far ahead, but as the passes sell out... guess I could always hope that they have Monday to Friday passes leftover like this year.
    Hey skiinggirl I donít live as far away as Europe but Iím about a 6 hour drive so I usually get the 10-day ďbypassĒ. Thatís a pretty good deal if youíre not local. Also I get mine in August. In the past they have a sale going during August. Maybe someone on here can confirm if they plan on having the August sale this year. If thatís a viable option that buys you some time to assess your mumís health.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #1609
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    Targhee was great this am. Old Targhee vibe was in full force.
    Pulled in at 930 and was happy to see so few cars. Had great snow all morning.

    Today could be interesting

  10. #1610
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    477
    Happy to get all your sloppy seconds and thirds next Monday-Friday.

  11. #1611
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down on Electric Avenue
    Posts
    3,770
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleskier View Post
    Hey skiinggirl I donít live as far away as Europe but Iím about a 6 hour drive so I usually get the 10-day ďbypassĒ. Thatís a pretty good deal if youíre not local. Also I get mine in August. In the past they have a sale going during August. Maybe someone on here can confirm if they plan on having the August sale this year. If thatís a viable option that buys you some time to assess your mumís health.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Yo Eagle, I'll be hunting ya down tomorrow at the vill.

    The August sale has been gone for over 5 years now. The spring sale from April thru May-ish is the new sale time. And after last year's early sell out, I wouldn't gamble on dragging my feet.

    Used to be waiting thru summer to buy in august was the norm. Not no mo...

  12. #1612
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wilson
    Posts
    1,952
    Eagle sighting today at the village! Fun to share some soft turns for a tram lap today. And some chunky ones too at the bottom of the hobacks

    Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

  13. #1613
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    shadow of HS butte
    Posts
    6,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Used to be waiting thru summer to buy in august was the norm. Not no mo...

    How else would they fund the new and improved Corbetís Cabin?


    Next time Iím up there on a sunny day I need to remember to get a good picture of it. Can envision the sticker now

    Ďmember Corbetís Cabin
    *picture*
    shit n waffles

  14. #1614
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wilson, Wyo.
    Posts
    4,599
    Little hard to see out there today:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	041A9852.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	452818

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	041A9857.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	452819

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	041A9881.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	452820

  15. #1615
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    4,908
    Those are $ dude.

    That first one especially.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

  16. #1616
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    4,908
    And that wave on #3? Yeah that's dope too.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

  17. #1617
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wilson, Wyo.
    Posts
    4,599
    Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    Iím liking the shift to the solo series. Appreciate you keeping up the stream of images Ö.
    Thank you! Posting pics of myself (or my POV) feels really self-indulgent in a way that makes me a little uncomfortable. Much rather highlight friends' skiing.


    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Those are $ dude.

    That first one especially.
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    And that wave on #3? Yeah that's dope too.
    I appreciate that. These popped out as well went I went back for a 2nd look:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	041A9882.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	452838Click image for larger version. 

Name:	041A9902.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	452837

  18. #1618
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wilson, Wyo.
    Posts
    4,599
    ^^ Would like to add that today's conditions were very aspect-/location-dependent.

    One friend reported: "Totally sucked, windhammered up high and sun crust for the rest." I also saw some zones that had a pretty nasty crust, presumably from just a little of yesterday afternoon's sun. There was definitely a sweet-spot today. Finding the best possible snow fascinates me.

  19. #1619
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    4,908
    Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    ^^ Would like to add that today's conditions were very aspect-/location-dependent.

    One friend reported: "Totally sucked, windhammered up high and sun crust for the rest." I also saw some zones that had a pretty nasty crust, presumably from just a little of yesterday afternoon's sun. There was definitely a sweet-spot today. Finding the best possible snow fascinates me.
    It's a fun game . And it pays off when you get the experience to be really good at it. Arizona BC has definitely thought me a lot on sniffing out the best and safest snow to go play on.

    The skier in your last batch is really good at putting it together with your photography talent. The images are obviously complimentary of you both. That sort of chemistry will help you get your work out there if that's something you're trying for.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

  20. #1620
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    west tetons
    Posts
    1,947
    All hail endless winter 22-23. Flat light and deep powder on the norths. Didn't see a soul all day.

    Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

  21. #1621
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down on Electric Avenue
    Posts
    3,770
    Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    How else would they fund the new and improved Corbet’s Cabin?


    Next time I’m up there on a sunny day I need to remember to get a good picture of it. Can envision the sticker now

    ‘member Corbet’s Cabin
    *picture*
    ​waffles n shit
    That is hilarious, I would run that one.

    Always smells like brownies. Not the ones ya like.

    The new Cabin is gonna be ginormous. I didn't think I'd see the day when a big build happened atop Rendezvous and the Snake river bridge replacement happened.
    Or a chair up the lower faces. Or a chair in RS.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Yup HMS, my favorite winters are the ones that go winter from bell to bell.

  22. #1622
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    JAC
    Posts
    1,231
    Busy week for TSAR/patrol. Mini Gothic extraction today. Heard it was a Dislocated hip. Patrol brought out a sled and they ended up having to take him out via sled to fish creek rd.....that's a long poke down.

    Finding the best or at least good snow is a daily challenge I relish as well...putting together the many pieces of the puzzle are rewarding to say the least.

    Puking in the Aspens area right now, game on.

  23. #1623
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Eagle, Idaho
    Posts
    188
    Hey DJ, Iíll keep my eyes peeled for ya.

    Today was pretty good inside the ropes. I did run into Lindenel and we had a good visit on a tram ride but he and his crew were heading outside the gates. I passed because I would have failed two of the criteria; no plan and no equipment.

    I had a good time skiing the tram lap with Koko. Fist bump for him. Today was #100 for the season!

    Today was great for tram laps. Walk on status, including first tram.

    On one of the tram rides we witnessed a pretty stellar Corbets fail. The skier ran right into the left hand wall and then cartwheels at least 1/3 of the way down. May still be going as far as I know. The interesting thing was that the last I could see the skis were both still on. That may not bode well for knees.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #1624
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake Chitty, UT
    Posts
    1,410
    Hey o, hitting JH tomorrow and Friday - looking to tour in the park sat+sun if conditions line up (NP or Teewinot or anything really haha) HMU if any mags want to link up, i brought the entire alpine fun bag of toys.
    You took too much man, too much, too much

  25. #1625
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    34,136
    Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    Busy week for TSAR/patrol. Mini Gothic extraction today. Heard it was a Dislocated hip. Patrol brought out a sled and they ended up having to take him out via sled to fish creek rd.....that's a long poke down.
    LOL, I sure hope they weren’t yelled at for crossing private property!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •