Page 5 of 97 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

JACKSON 2022/23 {Tetons, Snakes, Gros Ventre, Winds, Wyoming Range, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by gtid View Post
    For better or worse, probably worse, it’s going to make access to Mary’s much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Tell me more? As far as I know there won’t be gates to Mary’s off the top (will be one going to N side peaked). I think another gate lower on south side where the old cat road would switchback. But I’m not sure that will affect Mary’s as you would have a long traverse and still have to climb to make the saddle? Regardless, can’t wait.
    Last edited by skivan; 11-10-2022 at 04:23 PM.

Today was a pleasant surprise and a deep skin track.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	041A6267.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	433279

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	041A6218.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	433278

Today was good. Real good.

I have a BUNCH of binding parts if anyone wants them for free. Spare springs for Salomon/Atomic MTNs along with brake delete plates, brakes, and brake delete plates for Vipecs, most of a pair of Frischi Adrenalins (frame bindings), a gazillion Marker demo plates, and two full sets of Marker Griffon demos. Also have some random spare boot buckles and such. Basically the detritus of five years of reviewing skis and being a gear nerd, and it all needs to go before we move.

All free to mags, otherwise it goes to the thrift store. Holler if you want anything!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Yeah but everybody's going to be hitting that. The old, slow Blackfoot lift if you want multiple laps without crossing tracks. So many good lines, so few people....

Also, I didn't go up there last year but it looked pretty low angle. Agree on the access to the N face of Peaked tho.
    Yeah but...I'll be in front of ALL of them. First fucking tracks in 35" of 7% in 24 hrs, after a 3 day storm cycle.

First tracks, I live or die by it.

Blackfoot for the win. They replaced the reaaally slow old Riblet as I recall.

Bitd, no one skied the N face. Also, there was no lift over there. Now it's full of test pieces.

It will not make access to Mary’s any easier (I’m a ski patroller/forecaster there and someone who help plan the gate locations).

The only way to access Mary’s will be the same as it ever was, the boot pack by the Scotty’s gate. The changes for Mary’s include a rope line from Scotty’s to the summit of Peaked, as well as a new BC gate in the Mary’s saddle as well as another BC gate at the top of Peaked. The only way to access the gate at the top of Peaked is to do the Mary’s hike up and over. There will not be access to that gate from the top of the new lift. The new patrol building that was built up there is right in the way so you would have to sneak by the 12 patrollers that will be stationed there…..

Like was mentioned earlier, there will be a new BC gate just below the overlook on Peaked. It sets you up to ski a fun shot just skiers R of South Bowl and then tour from there. There will also be a small new hike to zone off of lightening ridge as well as a new BC gate there.

Who's going to Targhee opener. Gonna do a little thing at the cabin maybe Friday. If the bus is running stops right nearby. Fire. Maybe a guitar. Should be cool. Lemme know.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by haysman16 View Post
    It will not make access to Mary’s any easier (I’m a ski patroller/forecaster there and someone who help plan the gate locations).

The only way to access Mary’s will be the same as it ever was, the boot pack by the Scotty’s gate. The changes for Mary’s include a rope line from Scotty’s to the summit of Peaked, as well as a new BC gate in the Mary’s saddle as well as another BC gate at the top of Peaked. The only way to access the gate at the top of Peaked is to do the Mary’s hike up and over. There will not be access to that gate from the top of the new lift. The new patrol building that was built up there is right in the way so you would have to sneak by the 12 patrollers that will be stationed there…..

Like was mentioned earlier, there will be a new BC gate just below the overlook on Peaked. It sets you up to ski a fun shot just skiers R of South Bowl and then tour from there. There will also be a small new hike to zone off of lightening ridge as well as a new BC gate there.
    I stand corrected, very good to hear, thanks

Not gunna lie, I was pretty blown away with the amount of new snow when driving over last night. Seems like a lot fell in town too. UAN’s photos seem to justify this!

Don’t know how to beat around this bush so figure I’ll drop it here, I’ll be officially moving to town in a little over a month. Stoke is high, ready for a lifestyle change.

Find a sugarmomma?

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Not gunna lie, I was pretty blown away with the amount of new snow when driving over last night. Seems like a lot fell in town too. UAN’s photos seem to justify this!

Don’t know how to beat around this bush so figure I’ll drop it here, I’ll be officially moving to town in a little over a month. Stoke is high, ready for a lifestyle change.

As in lifestyles of the rich and famous?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Don’t know how to beat around this bush so figure I’ll drop it here, I’ll be officially moving to town in a little over a month.
    Condolences.
    Ya coulda been part of the LCC shitshow...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Lily von Schtupp sums it up...

Glad to hear it. The local gene pool just got a little deeper.

And his sugarmomma, yep, is a genuine local ripper chick.

Stoked for ya mag. Ski ya soon.

Congrats on the move EoB. Can I crash in your driveway?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Find a sugarmomma?
    If so does she have an older sister? Younger is fine too tho.

Yeah, I kid....sort of. But you talked about this years ago while slaving away in Phoenix, skiing the weekends at Snowbowl. I'm stoked for ya, even if you should have seen it 25 years ago
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I'm stoked for the new season. I've got a couple Ghee days in so far and I'm taking off next Friday for opening day.

Thanks for the details.

Requiring a hike up Mary's and Peaked for access to the Peakend BC gate makes total sense. You def don't want people getting off Colter and then going through a gate and skiing into S or SE bowl without knowing what they are doing. I wish the same policy applied for accessing inbounds terrain off the N side of Peaked. I'm worried people are going to get in over their head in that terrain given easy accessibility. Sounds like a nightmare for patrol.

When you say there is a new gate at the Mary's/ Peaked saddle, do you mean on the actual saddle or like side hill around the corner from the top of the Mary's hike? I'm hoping its the latter. If the former, it's going to create a lot of issues for the people accessing the most skied sidecountry terrain at the Ghee. For skiing Baugh, it would require people to hike up Mary's, transition to skiing, ski down to the Mary's/ Peaked Saddle, then transition again to skinning east/ back up Mary's to almost where they came from. If the gate is truly at the saddle, many people are going to slip under the rope to avoid the extra transition, the extra distance (almost an extra half mile from the top of Mary's hike to the saddle and then back up) and the lost vertical that would have to be regained from Mary's down to the saddle and back up again.

The amount of early snow this year seems to be blowing last year away. Is that me or is that true?

Bodes well for the annual EWG clan pilgrimage over NYE.

Hope to ski with some of ya that I haven’t turned with yet.
    Last edited by EWG; 11-11-2022 at 04:35 PM.

I feel like early snow years turn into even worse January thaw years.

I'm new here, but in 25 years, I feel like I have seen many, many different scenarios when we get early dumps. Not really helpful, but I don't recall any specific pattern.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

You come at the queen, you best not miss. I apologize baby bear.

Roadhouse buys melvin

https://buckrail.com/roadhouse-to-ac...elvin-brewing/

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Yeah, I kid....sort of. But you talked about this years ago while slaving away in Phoenix, skiing the weekends at Snowbowl. I'm stoked for ya, even if you should have seen it 25 years ago
    No kidding, that was what, 2-3 years ago we were hot lapping Agassiz and sipping beers in the lodge.. Time flies
    Yea, no doubt it has changed a lot from the golden days but man, having the option to ski/ride/fish or even just see friends after work will be a nice change of pace from the 13-14hr grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I'm stoked for the new season. I've got a couple Ghee days in so far and I'm taking off next Friday for opening day.

Thanks for the details.

Requiring a hike up Mary's and Peaked for access to the Peakend BC gate makes total sense. You def don't want people getting off Colter and then going through a gate and skiing into S or SE bowl without knowing what they are doing. I wish the same policy applied for accessing inbounds terrain off the N side of Peaked. I'm worried people are going to get in over their head in that terrain given easy accessibility. Sounds like a nightmare for patrol.

When you say there is a new gate at the Mary's/ Peaked saddle, do you mean on the actual saddle or like side hill around the corner from the top of the Mary's hike? I'm hoping its the latter. If the former, it's going to create a lot of issues for the people accessing the most skied sidecountry terrain at the Ghee. For skiing Baugh, it would require people to hike up Mary's, transition to skiing, ski down to the Mary's/ Peaked Saddle, then transition again to skinning east/ back up Mary's to almost where they came from. If the gate is truly at the saddle, many people are going to slip under the rope to avoid the extra transition, the extra distance (almost an extra half mile from the top of Mary's hike to the saddle and then back up) and the lost vertical that would have to be regained from Mary's down to the saddle and back up again.
    I think we are going to be opening and shutting the gates to The north face of Peaked quite a bit. We will be experimenting with different techniques to keep snow in the entrances and when it becomes unreasonable we will just close it.

When I said the saddle I meant uphill of the Saddle, towards Mary’s Nip where the open/closed flip sign used to be for folks coming back from Steve Baugh. It sets you up well for Split D or traversing around to Steve Baugh. It does mean clipping in quickly to traverse from the top of the boot pack but it is actually faster and less walking vs going to the summit and avoids rocky/wind blown terrain and the cornice on the summit.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    You come at the queen, you best not miss. I apologize baby bear.

Roadhouse buys melvin

https://buckrail.com/roadhouse-to-ac...elvin-brewing/
    Shocking. I have no idea how much they sold for, but it has to be pennies compared to what breweries were selling for 5 years ago if Roadhouse had the capitol to buy them.

Were they in debt?

Also Roadhouse does not make good beer.

Congrats EoB!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

No kidding, that was what, 2-3 years ago we were hot lapping Agassiz and sipping beers in the lodge.. Time flies
    Yea, no doubt it has changed a lot from the golden days but man, having the option to ski/ride/fish or even just see friends after work will be a nice change of pace from the 13-14hr grind.
    Dude! Congrats on the move. Hit me up if you guys are ever on this side visiting your GF's fam or skiing the Ghee.

I think we are going to be opening and shutting the gates to The north face of Peaked quite a bit. We will be experimenting with different techniques to keep snow in snow of the entrances and when it becomes unreasonable we will just close it.

When I said the saddle I meant uphill of the Saddle, towards Mary’s Nip where the open/closed flip sign used to be for folks coming back from Steve Baugh. It sets you up well for Split D or traversing around to Steve Baugh but avoiding the cornice and rockiness of the Nipple Summit
    Ok, that's great news on the location of the "saddle gate". Thanks for clarifying.

N Face of Peaked has been awesome because it doesn't get scraped off. I would guess that 95% of Targhee visitors don't know it is in bounds terrain. I wonder how it'll go now that people will be able to look down those runs from above.