Page 2 of 97 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    This thread needs a bump. Here's a New Year's 2021-22 pic for you. Who can see Lucky Dog?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski Taylor 20220102_013.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	832.6 KB 
ID:	432003

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    This thread needs a bump. Here's a New Year's 2021-22 pic for you. Who can see Lucky Dog?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski Taylor 20220102_013.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	832.6 KB 
ID:	432003
    Love that shot.

I'm extremely disappointed by the lack of extra long pole grips in the last picture from UAN.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

poles smholes

Excellent.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Can he take his gargantuan woody structures with him? Staring out my window looking at flakes hoping this is the start of something big

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Anybody else having trouble accessing jhavalanche.org?

Edit: Its working now.
    Last edited by Woolly the Mammoth; 11-04-2022 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Can he take his gargantuan woody structures with him? Staring out my window looking at flakes hoping this is the start of something big

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

On mountain Ullr fest?

"She's flaming up good...".

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    Anybody else having trouble accessing jhavalanche.org?

Edit: Its working now.
    They're shifting to the new format so it's now https://bridgertetonavalanchecenter.org/

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

saw the Alpenhof was up for sale https://buckrail.com/alpenhof-listed-for-50m/
    It was actually a little less than I thought it would be
    skid luxury

Be safe with the early season snowpack
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    saw the Alpenhof was up for sale https://buckrail.com/alpenhof-listed-for-50m/
    It was actually a little less than I thought it would be
    I'd bet 50 million dollars that the new owners will level it.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I'd bet 50 million dollars that the new owners will level it.
    My first thought as well. I love the place.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

samesies- figured it would be a tear down. but hoped not.
    I love their somewhat cheesy but endearing swiss alpine style
    And for better or for worse, I felt like you could sometimes get a beer there vs waiting in a crowd at the cooler places
    skid luxury

In the early 90's the Hof was the go to place for apres buffet for skids, and schoolers having dinners bought as a tip.

The strip of land between the alpenhof and the tram is mostly owned by the hof and they'd go round and round with the kemmerer's about boundaries.
    My climbing partner bitd had worked for Dietrich Oberreit and swore he was an ex nazi and was antisemitic as all hell. His son owns and runs Oboes down in Pinedale now methinks.

Cunningham sounds like she cares about it's future, but her highest bidder approach betrays her cupidity.

There was a time when you could park for free everywhere and still see from the lower faces, north to Saratoga.

His to ry

Exactly. Drinking huge beers watching the crowds leave the mountain below you, as close to the old bear claw/village cafe experience as you can get currently. Nick Wilson’s somehow doesn’t work right, and the basement place below the moose is great, but…it’s a basement.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Oh also, pro tip. The webcam from the Alpenrose will give you 24 hr tramdock views where the jhmr one over by the Gstore is angled to show the line on the snow. If I'm leaving town early cuz deep pow, I check it asap and GTFO the door faster if peeps already in there.
    Fucking 5 am a coupla times, back 2 seasons ago, dudes were rolling in first.

Eastorbust and I still made a shitton of those first boxes that season... only 25 per load too!

that is probably the best pro tip ever here- the alpenhof cam is a tram essential
    skid luxury

Alpenhof was perhaps my 3rd job when I arrived in the winter of 81-82. Clipped a lot of tickets after working in the kitchen breakfast and lunch shifts with a lot of the old guard (Howie and Mariah, Betty and Reynolds, kitchen shifts with Mike McLary (what happened to him?) That spring they hired a round Austrian chef named Francis who was a complete dick. I will never forget him chastising me about cleaning the slicer better, "wipe me like you wipe your ass!" That's about when I quit and went over to the Moose kitchen.

Ha. HMS I started at the Alpenhof not long after you left. Worked both as a cook and busboy/server. My claim to fame there was cooking an omelet for Sylvester Stallone when he was in Jackson filming Rocky 4. Then I went to the Blue Lion for the next few years. The Lion was a way better place to work.

true fkna breakfast and stuff ur pockets with Benny meatz till ur heart's content.

A1 mattresses.

rinse and repeat

Wren the masseuse knew her craft. Her old man had the the Tai place within walking distance. Out and to the left

Camera ran on my desktop for weeks before arrivals
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Alpenhof was perhaps my 3rd job when I arrived in the winter of 81-82. Clipped a lot of tickets after working in the kitchen breakfast and lunch shifts with a lot of the old guard (Howie and Mariah, Betty and Reynolds, kitchen shifts with Mike McLary (what happened to him?) That spring they hired a round Austrian chef named Francis who was a complete dick. I will never forget him chastising me about cleaning the slicer better, "wipe me like you wipe your ass!" That's about when I quit and went over to the Moose kitchen.
    So, first season and 3rd job already? That's funny... Rotating thru jobs was a new concept to me when I got here. Adjusted to that right quick tho.

I still think about Howie a lot. He has become my model for attitude towards my skiing, the village, tourists, the AF, so many things.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hollywood.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	432604

Remember his brother RJ? Big ole Harley guy, skied like a cannonball. I learned so many village tricks from him, rolled thru the deep stuff in the late 90's with him and Bob Gurion.

On a side note, I was just perusing the sex toy/ski pole thread and decided to check out the folkrm website. Saw my old friend Dan Corn as a local rep/athlete.
    Went further to see if he was still on the local guiding team and saw quite a few old locs that I rarely see anymore including:

Jessica Baker, kinda introduced her to the valley and we climbed in Corbet's that first trip; I see Tom Bennett in tram line occasionally, guiding someone south usually; Bowers always surprises me where he pops up; DCorn and I go back to tramline waits like me and Upallnight used to endure; SodaPop Dahill and I used to smoke weed and fuck off down at the Igneous factory for a few years; Bill Dyer's always around the hill at some point, reminds of Theo Meiners and that circle of locs; Figenshau always around the hill; Kim H. tends to give me the stink eye, I just laugh at her; met Renny early on at the vill, he was forecasting methinks with Rathole Jim Kanzler; met the McBrides early on, see Mike plenty, Kent went on a midnight rescue with Jkalakawicz to find our gonzo JHAF bro who had skied the Arch late, fell into granite creek and spent the night in the Patrol Cabin up the canyon; Yak with Nat P. often at the vill; worked on Jim William's place a decade ago when he was hosting this young sherpa, what a cool job that was...

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Ha. HMS I started at the Alpenhof not long after you left. Worked both as a cook and busboy/server. My claim to fame there was cooking an omelet for Sylvester Stallone when he was in Jackson filming Rocky 4. Then I went to the Blue Lion for the next few years. The Lion was a way better place to work.
    Ned Brown sold the Blue Lion just about 2 years ago now.

Saw him at the 'Ghee last winter when Haysman16 hooked me up and I got to ski with August West, Goniff and Babybear.
    He was apres'-ing on the deck with his new wife. He's moved over to Pierre's Hole now.
    Awsome fella and ripping skier still.

Yes indeed that's a storied crew. I knew RJ from the Moose kitchen. At first he was scary then we would poke fun at him.

I showed up in September 81, first job was graveyard at the Elkhorn back when hunting season meant something and drinking age was 19. Second job was midnight baker at the Bunnery- not sustainable for skiing. Then I lasted a week at the Rancher because they wouldn't let me play the radio at 3am. Then the Alpenhof.... Finally got hired in 88 by Andy Carson to guide for JHMG- eternally grateful for that opportunity. @WMD I remember you from back then for sure. In '07 I went to Exum for a variety of reasons, and finally after some physical issues I retired from guiding in 2021. What a fun time and place to grow up, so many good stories!

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk