Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Iran

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post

Looks like the shiite is hitting the fan
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Good luck to the people of Iran. They deserve better.

It’s the 40th day of mourning so where it goes from here is important

Nobody's getting laid in Iran
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Looks like the shiite is hitting the fan
    You know, this place has a unique ability to combine a thoughtful response with humor like few others.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    For real this time?
    Iranians are still in streets after 41 days. The longest protest since 1979. The regime falls when the people with guns, the police & soldiers, decide to either stop shooting civilians or switch sides and join the protests themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Good luck to the people of Iran. They deserve better.
    Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Iranians are still in streets after 41 days. The longest protest since 1979. The regime falls when the people with guns, the police & soldiers, decide to either stop shooting civilians or switch sides and join the protests themselves.
    From what I was seeing in the Farsi tweet protests continue for new victims of the IRGC. The more they kill, the more they piss off the populace.
    I'm hoping this doesn't end well for the mullahs. Our backing of the Shah was stupid, but the mullahs were worse.

History repeat.
    watch out for snakes

No worries, the "morality police" can find new jobs here the way things are heading..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I'll believe it when I see it. The 2005 movie Syriana features a few lines that haven't aged a day with regard to how that part of the world operates and this one has been kicking around my head lately with regard to Iran:

"They let young people march in the street and then the next day shut down fifty newspapers. They have a few satellite dishes up on roofs, let 'em have My Two Dads, but that doesn't mean the Ayatollahs have relinquished one iota of control over that nation."
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it. The 2005 movie Syriana features a few lines that haven't aged a day with regard to how that part of the world operates and this one has been kicking around my head lately with regard to Iran:

"They let young people march in the street and then the next day shut down fifty newspapers. They have a few satellite dishes up on roofs, let 'em have My Two Dads, but that doesn't mean the Ayatollahs have relinquished one iota of control over that nation."
    Yeah, I’m not predicting things will change, given not much changed after the Arab Spring uprisings, but I hope they do.

Such a great and underrated movie

It's a good movie but it's 17 years old and the people are pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    It's a good movie but it's 17 years old and the people are pissed.
    Yup, and they have been for a while. But Iran's pretty good at the whole oppressive regime thing. I'm not hopeful for 'em.
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

The key in my view is how Revolutionary Guards will go. They are a power in their own right, economic, political, not to mention the Ayatollah’s muscle. It seems like so far they’ve stood back.

No doubt CIA has assets on the ground trying to consolidate and organize the insurgency.

Yup, and they have been for a while. But Iran's pretty good at the whole oppressive regime thing. I'm not hopeful for 'em.
    The Powers that be are not going away with out a very bloody fight. I know most people would not pay the price required.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

The only solution is to elect Ronny Ray Gun Zap Drumpf so we can release the hostages.

So I'm half Persian (my dad was born and raised in Iran). My family all got out in the 50's and 60's so I really don't have much personal skin in this fight other than wanting the culture of my family to be able to flourish. I work with a Persian woman however who's family is all still over there. (Aside: as per standard with Persian women, she's of course hot and always impeccably dressed/made up) We were having a zoom one-on-one meeting a couple of weeks ago and at the end I casually asked her about how her family was doing. She immediately broke down crying and went through how she can no longer hear from her family because the government has blocked most internet and cell use, how before that happened she begged her family to not go out into the streets because if you did, it was 50/50 if you would come back, etc. You could feel the intense sadness and rage in her as an Iranian woman. I don't know how this will play out but after seeing what this has done to her personally, I can only hope that this time it will be different. Unfortunately, I know that is a tall task and will require so much blood to be spilled on behalf of people like her family. It is all just so fucked. Fuck the mullahs.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    The key in my view is how Revolutionary Guards will go. They are a power in their own right, economic, political, not to mention the Ayatollah’s muscle. It seems like so far they’ve stood back.
    And they could go either way, like the security apparatus in any failing state. If it starts to become clear that the ship is going down they will jump off.