The Peripheral on Amazon

Got boosted again today plus a flu shot for good measure. Went looking for something to watch on Amazon Prime and just saw the first episode of The Peripheral. I have not read the book (s?), so came in blind. Looks like a really cool show and the writing is top notch. Second episode is out and a new comes on Friday. Been a while since I have looked forward to a tv series

Yeah we basically said the same thing in the prime thread. Looks good, good Acting and compelling Story. Except the usual timeline problems such a setting causes, which might be explained away at some point. Definitely not a Rop clusterfuck.

And yay for cloe. I've been afan since the kickass movies.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Really nice episode 3.

What I always find a little disturbing ( not morally..kust my suspension of disbelief), or at least unrealistic. That ultra rich people in sci fi settings don't have to fear any repercussions from law enforcement or have any sort of Moral left. Especially if the setting is at least similar to our society and not full on dystopian. Granted, a Gangster Boss doesn't( well yes he does, but he doesn't care. Still. The whole town knows he is a drug kingpin who crucified 10 people, but nobody cares? Or the feds didn't come to town? I mean im by no means an expert on American society, but i doubt that'spossible10 years from now)but a tech company owner /ceo who randomly kills people seems odd. Especially if Chiefs of securities of said company just vanish and there seems to be police around as seen in ep 3.
    Last edited by subtle plague; 10-28-2022 at 04:53 AM.

Have you seen what's currently happening?!?!?!? 10 years from now some really, really scary people (or corporations) could be running the place.

Well I guess im not much of a Pessimist. And in the EU it's actually getting better concerning Lobbyism and things like that. I don't know about America though. When Trump declares martial law in late 2027 and the thiel Musk zuckerberg community ai runs day by day stuff things may change

I'm still very pleased with the Show. Very cyberpunky. 3D characters. Shady motivations and unclear fronlines despite having good and evil and grey characters.

I'm reading neuromancer ( lacks a bit of future predictions but still a good read)and will probably read a bit more gibson because of the Show.

Episode 8 was fucking amazing. I still don't understand the ending though. How can she be in the peripheral body without being connected when uh she is "out for a walk " I assume it's another her from the Stub she Formed in 2032?

Edit:And please could someone reply. I mean I like taking to myself, but I do that fir a living as a teacher.

Spoiler alert:

I enjoyed the series. Quite good. So some things I couldn't work out including the ending for your said reasons. I assume the new stub begins at the same time she dies so her consciousness is 'up to date' with all events. If someone understood it please explain.

And wow, Tommy is screwed. Not a very good cover up.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Well Tommy should have either made sure the Dooda worked or devised a better plan?
    Is this the end of season 1? Edit: yes it is.
    And I'm kind of reconciled with realism considering law enforcement in 2032. When everybody is killed they come out in full force.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Episode 8 was fucking amazing. I still don't understand the ending though. How can she be in the peripheral body without being connected when uh she is "out for a walk " I assume it's another her from the Stub she Formed in 2032?

Edit:And please could someone reply. I mean I like taking to myself, but I do that fir a living as a teacher.
    Ok, I’ll help you to not keep talking to your self. Agreed, great series as a long time Gibson fan. Here’s how I’m understanding the ending.

When Flynne opened up the new stub she existed in both stubs immediately. She then had herself killed in the “original” stub. This means that Aelita can’t find Flynne because Flynn destroyed the timepiece showing the coordinates of the new stub. The Flynne in the peripheral is the Flynne from the new stub. I’m assuming she had Conner take a head shot to destroy the DNA imbedded library so Aelita couldn’t recover it from the stun she knows about.

Looking forward to next season even though it hasn’t be green lit yet. Hope it is.

Don't you mean Cherise? Although, I suppose it could be both.

That’s pretty much my take that the head shot destroys the bacteria library.

It’s going to be pretty freaky when her brother and friends find her alive in the future.

I think I need to go back and watch the scene in the first episode where she is a child and walks up to Wolf. That is a future scene in his timeline.

Seems she should be equally hot to stamp out Zev as she is Cherise

how many of you caught the post credit scene with Zev getting called on the carpet by the Klept autocracy?
    Bodes well for the next season.

Finally caught up to look at this thread. Sorry you were all alone SP, but it looks like you are no longer. Had no idea you were a teacher (my reading comp is not always the best). Kudos to you. I applaud the profession.

The DooDad I believe "works'. My thought is it is not meant to kill, only stun. But I get your gist. Who knows what Corbell may decide to reveal when he comes to. Having Tommy in his pocket ay work for him.

Agree with the he'd shot destroying the library, and the alternate stub being where Flynn logs in from.

Yes to the post credit scene - just wondering where the branch needs cutting. Who does that entail?

Oh Thanks for pointing out the post Credit scene.

Branch: everyone from the past, aelita, his employees and wilf. I guess.

Because they are really open about what happens if he fails. They cut the whole tree. Meaning him and his family.
    Last edited by subtle plague; 12-05-2022 at 01:35 PM.

Went back and watched the opening scene in episode one. I had thought it was another form of Flynn, but it was the younger version of Aelita. She says her goal was to destroy the future world they live in so as to save another

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    how many of you caught the post credit scene with Zev getting called on the carpet by the Klept autocracy?
    Bodes well for the next season.
    Yep. Was kewl.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Finally caught up to look at this thread. Sorry you were all alone SP, but it looks like you are no longer. Had no idea you were a teacher (my reading comp is not always the best). Kudos to you. I applaud the profession.

The DooDad I believe "works'. My thought is it is not meant to kill, only stun. But I get your gist. Who knows what Corbell may decide to reveal when he comes to. Having Tommy in his pocket ay work for him.

Agree with the he'd shot destroying the library, and the alternate stub being where Flynn logs in from.

Yes to the post credit scene - just wondering where the branch needs cutting. Who does that entail?
    Doodads headshot = death

Liver shot = bilious emesis inducing pain

Gnads shot = unexplored yet, maybe in the next season?