Europe Sept 2023-WWMD?

Putting together our Sept 2023 holiday now. Landing in Copenhagen at 5pm, so do we stay 3 or 4 nights there since night 1 is wasted?
    We want to eventually fly home from Italy (thinking Milan, but maybe Rome). Mrs L2S wants to see Berlin. Do we see anything in Northern Germany prior to Berlin or just fly there from Copenhagen? Where to from Berlin? We want to eventually end up in Northern Italy (Bolzano, Verona, Bergamo, Milan) but have seen cool videos for Leipzig/Dreden, Munich and I have always wanted to see Salzburg Austria.
    We love the old architecture of Italy and some of the videos I watched of Germany didn't have that old feel (likely from being bombed backed to the stone age). Cities that have Old Town areas (like Edinburgh or Prague are big hits with us).
    We normally do lots of walking, museums, boat tours and the occasional drive from point A to B purely to enjoy the scenery, but will fly distances (cuz it is cheap and fast) and we love trains if 5 hours or less.
    We will be there Sept 8th to Oct 3rd, so we have about 3 weeks to move around and normally do 3 nights at most stops.
    I appreciate your thoughts and will post up a TR if anyone is interested in seeing it.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Hamburg is definitely worth a visit.
    Berlin is.... well....Unless you like techno Clubs and dirt. It's probably cool for historischen reasons.

If you want true old City stuff go visit Rothenburg Ob der tauber https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wht8uECgKmE

Or come here to Constance at lake Constance for you mediaval fix. You us boys never dared to bomb us because Kreuzlingen and Constance are basically one City and nobody wanted to hit Switzerland.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dAEjkb5Bsk4

Cologne is definitely a cool City but nothing ancient left except the Dom and pretty far West from Berlin. You were very very thourough with my home town.

Lucerne in Switzerland is a nice stopover on the way south but munich and Salzburg on the eastern Route through the alps are cool too.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Berlin to Munich is 4 hours on a fast train. Oktoberfest is a great party. Go to Kafer garden for the more local/civilized crowd.

Salzburg is quick from Munich and so is Bolzano. Brenner Pass is pretty cool.

Then Bolzano to Verona is also quick. Verona very manageable for a day or two - maybe side trip to Lake Garda. Verona also not far from Venice.

Bergamo Alta Città is cool; town is chill.

What interests you about Milan?

I’d recommend Bologna for the food, architecture, and ease of exploring the city.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I enjoyed Berlin for a few days and had a great food tour there. Highly recommended and likely awesome in other larger cities too.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    What interests you about Milan?
    We got to stop over once for an evening and loved it. Vowed to come back some day. Is Bologna a better call?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

There are towns in Bavaria that were not bombed during WWII and have buildings that ooze with history. Bamberg not only has the best bier in Germany, but also has 7 old churches/cathedrals on 7 hills that range from gothic to romanesque. Trier and Rothenburg o. Tauber are worth visiting. So is Füssen, Herrn Chiemsee and Bodensee. Süd Tirol Mean and Bolden are amazing, as is Salzburg and Sell am See.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I like Bologna better than Milan for like 1.5-2 days for the food alone. Not as flashy but def worth seeing. Shopping just as good, too, if wifey is into it.

Go to Neuschwanstein. Worth the trip. That crazy fucker knew how to build a castle.

https://www.neuschwanstein.de

I thought it said "WMD" and it seemed like a weird prediction.

Oh boy, it’s too bad Benny isn’t here anymore. He could lay out a whole itinerary for you.

Füssen^^^
    While there, also visit hohenschwangau. That entire area is magic. Drive from Füssen to St. Anton via Earth. See the Bavarian countryside. Yodelahehoo!

When is Berlin, take a boat ride day trip to Potsdam and visit Sanssouci
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    I like Bologna better than Milan for like 1.5-2 days for the food alone. Not as flashy but def worth seeing. Shopping just as good, too, if wifey is into it.

Some day I'm going to do a Tour de Bolognese in that town...