Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler 22-23

Whistler 22-23

Snow in the valley, bring on La Niña Triple Dip!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

First question for the season: will the new Creekside gondola be ready by opening day?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    First question for the season: will the new Creekside gondola be ready by opening day?
    I'm hearing maybe prior to Christmas...per a reliable source

Subscribed from the east coast as I plan for our March trip.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

First time in a long time I'm not going to get to WB in a season. Epic conditions incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    First time in a long time I'm not going to get to WB in a season. Epic conditions incoming.
    your service is appreciated

I'm planning to get in some bonus days the first weekend in December. I guess I should probably avoid staying in Creekside.

Back on the full pass game after a few years of limited Edge Card use. We had planned to get the kiddos into the ski school so we could get some proper ski time in but missed the frenzy for ski school sign up.

Gunna be a shit show if they don't have Creekside up and running. You Creekside regulars will have to just stay over there waiting till it is up and running late January, don't go thinking you can switch out and come fill up Lot 8 and become a Blackcomb regular.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Gunna be a shit show if they don't have Creekside up and running. You Creekside regulars will have to just stay over there waiting till it is up and running late January, don't go thinking you can switch out and come fill up Lot 8 and become a Blackcomb regular.
    Maybe we can strike a compromise and allow them to upload after 10 a.m.

have already resigned myself to destroying skis early season on blackcomb

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    I'm hearing maybe prior to Christmas...per a reliable source
    I have heard that they might push to get it open for November 24th but it would only be open to Kadenwood residents until the new year. Creekside regulars and brown baggers will have to park at Nesters overflow and walk to Village Gondola with their boots cinched around their scrotums with a booster strap. I for one am pretty devastated. I mean of all the disgusting and inhumane measures Vail could take, making us ride VG seems a bridge too far. If I'm not mistaken VG was an enhanced interrogation technique used by the U.S. military at Guantanamo.

Nah but in all seriousness stoked that the weather has turned and is starting to accumulate up there, atleast for now. Look forward to seeing you guys/gals out there and if anyone needs bootwork, consider seeing Mitch at Canski Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedthesailor View Post
    I have heard that they might push to get it open for November 24th but it would only be open to Kadenwood residents until the new year. Creekside regulars and brown baggers will have to park at Nesters overflow and walk to Village Gondola with their boots cinched around their scrotums with a booster strap. I for one am pretty devastated. I mean of all the disgusting and inhumane measures Vail could take, making us ride VG seems a bridge too far. If I'm not mistaken VG was an enhanced interrogation technique used by the U.S. military at Guantanamo.

Nah but in all seriousness stoked that the weather has turned and is starting to accumulate up there, atleast for now. Look forward to seeing you guys/gals out there and if anyone needs bootwork, consider seeing Mitch at Canski Creek.
    The obvious solution is to just become a Kadenwood resident.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    The obvious solution is to just become a Kadenwood resident.
    I'm sure you could find a Kadenwood resident willing to rent their house for the month for 100 grand or so. That would be one of the low end homes, of course, but I think I could slum it.

Sharing 10 bdrms and parking a few RVs should make it within reach, no?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

My annual reminder for useful sites and phone numbers on the mountain

Ski Patrol emergency line: 604-935-5555
    Good for Whistler and Blackcomb. Please don't call to ask when a certain chairlift is going to be open. Emergencies only please.

For unbiased on mountain weather straight from the data loggers:

https://secure.whistlerblackcomb.com...r/default.aspx

My go to for real uncut weather data. Keep in mind that not every field is real data.
    Most of the wind data on both mountains is real.
    The wind direction is generally reliable but can be off quite a bit depending on when the particular sensor was last calibrated.
    Temperature data is generally reliable, but some of them I believe are drawn from lift stations, where direct sunlight can affect the temperature readings.
    For mid mountain snowfall totals look at Pig Alley (new) and Catskinner (new)
    Snowfall is only measured at Pig Alley and Catskinner. So when you see Base Snow and New Snow amounts on Peak, Harmony, Symphony, Ridge (top of T-bars), Alpine Shop (Roundhouse), they're just showing the snowfall data from Pig Alley.
    The Pig Alley sensors are in the same area as the "snow ruler" that you see on the WB website. I like to replay the last 24 hours on the snow stake video to confirm what the temperature and snow data are showing.

For the most accurate weather and to check on the status of the boundaries for backcountry access:
    604-905-2324

The weather is put out by the ski patrol snow safety department and updated twice a day. No marketing BS. It won't be live until the opening day obviously.

If you['re going to or from the K&C Hut, the boundaries around Flute can be open or closed without much warning. It's your responsibility to know the status if you want to enter or leave via Flute. This includes before and after hours. Avalanche control is generally conducted in the morning but for a variety of reasons it might happen mid day or even at the end of day. The route that leads to the bottom of Harmony is always open, and Singing Pass is always open (obviously). There is cell reception from all the ridgetops around the Musical Bumps, so there's no excuse for not knowing the status.

Can't wait to get up there!

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post

Please don't call to ask when a certain chairlift is going to be open. Emergencies only please.
    Is that a thing?

Oh yeah. Not very often but it happens.

Oh yeah. Not very often but it happens.
    Gapers. I have the patrol programmed in my baofeng for direct contact.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

My annual reminder for useful sites and phone numbers on the mountain

Ski Patrol emergency line: 604-935-5555
    Good for Whistler and Blackcomb. Please don't call to ask when a certain chairlift is going to be open. Emergencies only please.
    I would also recommend using the app when calling ski patrol. A friend broke his leg last year and the patrol dispatcher was able to take our GPS coordinates for location info.

see ya out there this season Clownshoe, thanks for keeping us safe!

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    I would also recommend using the app when calling ski patrol. A friend broke his leg last year and the patrol dispatcher was able to take our GPS coordinates for location info.
    You can just call in on your cell phone. Patrol can get your location with a couple of clicks regardless of how you contact them.

You can just call in on your cell phone. Patrol can get your location with a couple of clicks regardless of how you contact them.
    Very cool! Listening to my local police on the scanner app, they seem to have that technology as they have to follow up with all 911 hang-ups. The dispatch directs officers to specific locations.

It’s not the technology the police have. The dispatch can just text you a link. You click yes and patrol gets your location

Some solid base building going on right now. Half a meter now at Pig Alley.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post

New Years is more realistic.

From what I heard, even w the good weather they ran in to a lot of delays/problems. Multiple pours for the tower bases take time(each one) and a few were fucked.
    -Further conjecture
    Some of the Doppelmayr group have gone home, and Vail asked the local staff to do some of the work that crew was going to do with assembly(cheaper labour).

Maybe Vail thinks they can get it open without delay, maybe they know they can’t, and don’t want to discourage sales.
    Whatever-I don’t trust em.
    After the shitshow w the Blkcmb Gondie I don’t think I’ll be on the new one the first few weeks.

In related news, bookings are way up for the Xmas season.
    Bring yer patience….and maybe your skins for initial upload.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.