Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler 22-23

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    Nice day! Skinned for a couple of short pow laps in the alpine. The sun came out. Good times all around.

Red chair was testing their diesel engine today and was turning with all the chairs on the line.
    What was your skin route? Stuck to Blackcomb both days

Based on the webcams it's seemed fairly quiet since opening day. Do you agree, Lee?

Seems like a bit more snow the next couple days before a cold, dry period begins. At least that should be good for snowmaking. Maybe they can get the ski-outs ready for next weekend.

It's been more quiet than anticipated. Perhaps people stayed away fearing crowds

Whistler 22-23

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    It's been more quiet than anticipated. Perhaps people stayed away fearing crowds
    I’m hoping that with CoVid over…the people who took up skiing during CoVid will go back to their pre-CoVid, non-skiing pursuits?

Eg I think when everyone was cooped up at home during CoVid, taking up skiing looked like a great option (to get outside)….and in Canada there was lots of money around from government handouts.

But now that everything is open again, and money is tighter due to higher interest rates, and no govt handouts, that those pre-CoVid non-skiers go back doing whatever pursuits they did before CoVid? Eg not skiing.

Maybe wishful thinking….but in my experience people don’t change….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yes, I think it's wishful thinking. I think the mess with Creekside kept lots of people away, and also the fact there just hasn't been much snow. I guess we'll see what happens when there's a real powder day.

What was your skin route? Stuck to Blackcomb both days
    Skinning route only open to top of Tbars yesterday and today. Good times we’re had in G Bowl and Boomer.

Definitely quieter than anticipated. I’ve been getting up early and downloading early to avoid the lineups. Lining up to download is a huge buzz kill for me.

(Red was running on diesel intermittently again today. Testing continues I guess)

Whistler is so crowded that no one skis there anymore.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Good laps in the Blkcmb slackcountry again today. Wind didn’t do as much damage as thought it may.
    Route choice is paramount Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1669685405.302754.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	435825

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    Skinning route only open to top of Tbars yesterday and today. Good times we’re had in G Bowl and Boomer.

Definitely quieter than anticipated. I’ve been getting up early and downloading early to avoid the lineups. Lining up to download is a huge buzz kill for me.

(Red was running on diesel intermittently again today. Testing continues I guess)
    Have they opened anything else up-can ya get up to the top of Harmony and out to the bumps ?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    Have they opened anything else up-can ya get up to the top of Harmony and out to the bumps ?

Everything was open for hiking today. Skied a couple off the peak. Flute looks pretty boney.

Do you think the chances are pretty good the ski-outs will be in for this weekend? Seems like they'll be blasting the snow guns all week due to the cold temps. A little natural help can't hurt, either.

I’d say yes. I skied out yesterday afternoon on Whistler. Snow guns are blasting the whole way. I took my skis off twice to get to the valley. I don’t know if it’ll be “open” but it’s certainly doable with rock skis

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    Good laps in the Blkcmb slackcountry again today. Wind didn’t do as much damage as thought it may.
    Route choice is paramount
    surprised you didn't share one of the other photos...spicy! did they all go for a ride?

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    surprised you didn't share one of the other photos...spicy! did they all go for a ride?
    Didn’t see it happen.
    One of then went for a ride, lost their skis, recovered em later. Got on the radio and they said they were all good, didn’t need help, so I continued w my afternoon.
    Very experienced group of 4-hope they put up a MIN report

Here’s a few minutes apart

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1669760363.754494.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	435956

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1669760395.915900.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	435957

Spicy

good outcome for sure, two at the back are lucky they didn't get rinsed down that rocky choke!

Chaos on the sea to sky, 6 accidents heading home to van. Car next to me got rear ended hard (I had just pulled out of that lane 10 seconds prior). Snow in vancouver, cars everywhere

25cm overnight. Better get to the Creekside shuttles early.

Should be chaos today. I predict many destroyed skis.

In general why doesn't Whistler open the t-bars earlier? Seems like they are one of the last lifts to open for the season, but could be opened fairly easily compared to the chairlifts, plus they'd be able to provide earlier lift-served access to the alpine.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    In general why doesn't Whistler open the t-bars earlier? Seems like they are one of the last lifts to open for the season, but could be opened fairly easily compared to the chairlifts, plus they'd be able to provide earlier lift-served access to the alpine.
    T-Bars gets skiers into the same avy exposure as Harmony and Peak, so by the time Patrol has cleared alpine to make it safe for T-Bar...might as well open Peak / Harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    T-Bars gets skiers into the same avy exposure as Harmony and Peak, so by the time Patrol has cleared alpine to make it safe for T-Bar...might as well open Peak / Harmony.
    True. I was thinking about what clownshoe was saying upthread about hiking. I suppose actually opening a lift confers more responsibility on the resort to control that area? It's not 100% clear to me how this all works.

people are willing to walk, so guess it's easy to not open it early season?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    True. I was thinking about what clownshoe was saying upthread about hiking. I suppose actually opening a lift confers more responsibility on the resort to control that area? It's not 100% clear to me how this all works.
    Early season they adjust the boundary so the hiking is out of bounds. They open/close that boundary based on conditions.

Also to add it's a relatively short window of time where there is some alpine hiking. When it's too boney in the alpine I think they keep it closed, a few storms and there is a sweet spot of not really enough to open everything but enough to allow the eager hikers. Then another storm or two and it's all back to normal.