Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler 22-23

You can bet they'll be doing their best to get it running before the holiday rush.

I haven't heard much about Red chair. That was being upgraded to a six, right? I'm assuming that's a much smaller project, but wonder if it's complete yet or not. Creekside not running sucks, but Red not running would be awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    In related news, bookings are way up for the Xmas season.
    Bring yer patience….and maybe your skins for initial upload.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Cool they finally made a backcountry access corridor?

I see they've started firing up the snowguns. You can see them in both the Roundhouse and Rendezvous camera views.

Not bad.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7thHeavenBlackcombMountainCam_2022-11-01_5-34pm.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	533.2 KB 
ID:	432104

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1667431867.787712.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	432171

Super low tide but found some great turns, just need to be detailed in route choice to avoid the sharks!

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedthesailor View Post
    Creekside regulars and brown baggers will have to park at Nesters overflow and walk to Village Gondola with their boots cinched around their scrotums with a booster strap.
    This quote got me good man, the booster strap hahah. Hope Creekside delays aren't into January, would suck (for everyone, not just Creekside crew).

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    This quote got me good man, the booster strap hahah. Hope Creekside delays aren't into January, would suck (for everyone, not just Creekside crew).
    Great success!

http://www.wayneflannavalancheblog.com/

^Realized that should probably be on the useful resources list, I think he's back up twice a week until opening day! Have not met Wayne but I really enjoy his blog. Tons of pertinent information but also great shots and a dry sense of humor peeking through.

http://www.wayneflannavalancheblog.com/

^Realized that should probably be on the useful resources list, I think he's back up twice a week until opening day! Have not met Wayne but I really enjoy his blog. Tons of pertinent information but also great shots and a dry sense of humor peeking through.
    [/QUOTE]

very useful and realized it's a part of my daily weather routine so made a donation in light of that, hopefully others are too

Well, it's official. Both Red and Creekside are delayed and won't be ready for opening day: https://blog.whistlerblackcomb.com/2...rade-projects/

The fact that parts aren't even on site yet and there's no estimate for the gondola are especially concerning. Blackcomb is going to be mobbed.

Gunna be a master class shit show. Fuck.

Let's start a pool on when Creekside will open.

My guess if Friday Feb 18th. They'll get a final scramble on for Presidents day US long weekend.

man I'm a sucker for Vail punishment...should've bought a sled, again! hahah, siiiiigh.

Let's just hope that when it's finally running things go better than when the new Blackcomb gondola first opened.
    Last edited by The AD; 11-05-2022 at 10:50 AM.

I wonder if you will be allowed to ski out down to Creekside? You would think there would have to be times when it is completely closed. Can't imagine they would let people ski anywhere near the gondola line while they are putting up the haul cable, tensioning it etc. Having to bus to Whistler/Blackcomb base in the morning is going to suck big time, but having to do the reverse at the end of the day would suck even worse.

from the sounds of it, they'll probably have the cable up and spliced by opening, but testing/etc takes a month after that.

This ought to go well:
    We will provide expedited lift access for guests arriving from Creekside at both the Village and Blackcomb Gondolas,
    I guess the goal is to piss everyone off, not just the people coming from Creekside.

Also the shuttle will start at 8 am. Can you imagine if they let the Creekside people cut in line on a powder day?

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Gunna be a master class shit show. Fuck.

Let's start a pool on when Creekside will open.

My guess if Friday Feb 18th. They'll get a final scramble on for Presidents day US long weekend.
    Parking lol.

Ya think people are gonna want to park in Creekside and catch a bus-fuck no.
    They are all gonna try and jam in to the village somehow-locals and lower mainlanders.

Less carrying capacity on the runs.

Are they gonna groom Peak to Creek everyday-no.

Creekside peeps gonna have to go through the village at the end of the day

It wasn’t bad when Quicksilver went down in 95 but this is gonna be a catastrophe.

#vailfail #fuckvail

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

They never groomed Peak to Creak every day - just once a week on Wednesday.

Early season Creekside was usually download only so they'll probably close it off and direct everyone to Garbonzo and Whistler Gondola midstation. Good times.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

This happened because I signed my kid up for whistler kids and committed to riding whis for 10 peak season Saturdays. You’re welcome

So many flow on effects.

Creekside ski school will have to be moved, apart from maybe magic carpet people at the bottom. A bit of a logistical nightmare for the resort to organise. Along with a whole lot of implications for snowmaking, patrol, grooming etc
    Retail, hire, food and beveridge places at Creekside base will suffer really badly.
    Garbo will become an absolute disaster in the mornings, due to people being directed to load up Fitz. So seeing as Red is not running, all the runs down that side of the mountain will funnel down to Garbo, and meet the hordes coming up Fitz.

I wonder what the situation is financially? Would Vale be wanting compensation from Dopple? Would either or both be insured for this contingency? What about the businesses at Creekside that are going to have a disastrous holiday period?

Not that any of this is really that surprising, given how borderline the Blackcomb gondy installation was, and given current worldwide labour and logistic issues. So Vail should have a solid contingency plan in place

Anyone know what the plan is for opening day/weekend if the creekside is closed? Does that mean they will have to open something on blackcomb or will they have everyone pack into the main gondola on whisltet and just deal with a packed green chair....

Whistler and Blackcomb will definitely both be open.

Good news for sure. So what will that mean for skiing you think? Jersey cream, Excalibur and what used to be solar coaster?

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    Good news for sure. So what will that mean for skiing you think? Jersey cream, Excalibur and what used to be solar coaster?
    Excalibur will will be running, of course, but I wouldn't expect the skiing to be very good below Excelerator. Recently it's been clear but cold, so I'm sure the snow guns have been firing, but better hope for a nice shot of snow before opening day. It doesn't look like any snow is in the forecast for the next week or so.

Haul rope for the Creekside gondola is in town. Cautiously optimistic

On another note my partner Sharon is in search of on piste skis for Cypress skiing. Anyone got something reasonable in the 180cms length range? 70 -85 underfoot. 22m- 25m turn radius. Its Cypress so doesnt need to be super high performing skis

Well that's good news for sure.