Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler 22-23

Kind of amazing that Pig Alley is now above freezing.

creek, red, peak laps are back on, and back to not having to go to the village!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Kind of amazing that Pig Alley is now above freezing.
    Looks like more snow in the valley than Pig Alley this morning.
    Lower mtn laps!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Elephant Snot at treeline

It’s a Xmas miracle!!

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Band of snow between 1600 - 1100m skied well. Warmer below and warmer above + high winds. Unfortunately temps have now gone up moreName:  20221224_113732.jpeg
Views: 1344
Size:  21.3 KB

Whistler 22-23

McConkey trees in or not enough coverage (guessing the latter)? Looks like a gong show. Whistler Village gondola down from 9:45-12:30, Sea to Sky closed (due to legit scary conditions it seemsh.

And yet no matter how many gong show weekend days like this happen, people still come and are happy to pay to do so. Mind boggling (outside of regional ppl that are dedicated to skiing).

Man, this has been a brutal holiday season. Seems like things are finally going to start to calm down soon, but wow. Vail probably dealing with lots of Karens the last few days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1672082785.563465.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	419.6 KB 
ID:	439982

Epic Pass gonna deliver w Epic lines on whatever opens

185+ kmh gusts at Peak, 54mm rain at Pig Alley. Not ideal. At least most of the snow has melted in the city.

On the bright side maybe 90% of the people who traveled to be in Whistler over Christmas will vow to never come back to Whistler ever again.

Good few days to be on the Sunshine Coast, even enjoyed some sun and 12C today! Hahaha, would definitely prefer to be returning to pow however

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    On the bright side maybe 90% of the people who traveled to be in Whistler over Christmas will vow to never come back to Whistler ever again.
    I've been thinking/wishing this for the entire time I've live in Vancouver and it doesn't seem to be working unfortunately. Vail has got to start jacking Epic price passes at some point right?

Any trails open on the SSC Todd? Thinking lower Seymour might be back in action soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Any trails open on the SSC Todd? Thinking lower Seymour might be back in action soon.
    only dog walked from the SIL's place at about 100m elv and snow was melted out for the most part, would imagine still snow on the trails although with the rain probably melting rapidly.

7cms of new reported but there's significant wind transport so there's between 25 to 50 of storm snow on windloaded aspects (storm was SW).
    Was snowing 1cms/hour at about noon with about 5cms new.
    Pronounced moisture state change where the precip fell as snow above 1500m..

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    7cms of new reported but there's significant wind transport so there's between 25 to 50 of storm snow on windloaded aspects (storm was SW).
    It rode nice today-maybe not the best for those on 2 planks.

Isothermal layer below has yet to freeze—that’s gonna change quick.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Definitely felt that elevation change today. Was hoping for Peak but ended up Harmony, good turns at the top. How's coverage in Spankys coming along?

Photo of size 3 in Whistler Bowl from Wayne: https://www.instagram.com/p/CmvL-ZRr8ja/?hl=en

I bailed after they called no go on peak, had burned my available time for the day, did get to watch a large bag of explosives rip shale though!

https://youtube.com/shorts/12YOQk8mSQY?

Slackcountry access update

Blackcomb Glacier still under avalanche control work as of 1pm. Hiking ( skinning) uphill prohibition in force.

Also glimpsed sz 2(?) off Poop Chutes. Usual S facing paths.. Could not see enough to guess at trigger.

Harmony access did not open till 11am. Hope this helps for anyone wanting backcountry access

On Blackcomb S facing trees (windward slopes) probed snow depth 160cms at 2000m. 25cms of new snow lies over a stout rain crust with approximate 30cms on NE slopes. Ie still can feel the crust on steeper slopes but can skim over it on lower angles.

Schizoid weather with convective flurries throughout morning and solid storm in the afternoon. Between -3 to -1 throughout day, winds moderate to strong at times at ridgeline.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20221230_152756_987.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	440561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20221230_152757_059.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	440562

Ok, looking for some advice about a trip to Whistler Jan 19-22. According to Open Snow, only 59% of the area is currently open. Is that true? Is that normal for this time of year. I have not been paying much attention to the weather in BC this winter. What is the snowpack currently compared to average? Should I expect much more of the mountain to be open in the next 3 weeks?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devon View Post
    Ok, looking for some advice about a trip to Whistler Jan 19-22. According to Open Snow, only 59% of the area is currently open. Is that true? Is that normal for this time of year. I have not been paying much attention to the weather in BC this winter. What is the snowpack currently compared to average? Should I expect much more of the mountain to be open in the next 3 weeks?
    Thanks
    It's a low snow year https://whistler.weatherstats.ca/metrics/snow.html

The 59% is sort of BS, though. At this point every lift has been running with the exception of the t-bars on both mountains.

Thanks
    Depends on what you're looking for. All lifts are now open on both mountains. A bit more snow would definitely help with the tree skiing and alpine coverage, but the groomers are good to go.

Whistler 22-23

Thanks. Not really interested in the groomers. More interested in the fun terrain that Whistler is known for.

Thanks. Not really interested in the groomers. More interested in the fun terrain that Whistler is known for.
    Copy that.

The alpine is all skiable, with more rocks poking through than usual.
    Skiing at tree line is ok, with more trees poking through than usual
    below treeline skiing is not really a thing yet.

Hope that helps