Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Whistler 22-23

Very tracked out, but north facing was soft and surprisingly good Wednesday. South facing was shitty refrozen crud.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    That’s gotta be a first (Decker). Just wow.
    We used to boot the spine or the fingers pretty regularly back in the day. Spine much more often than fingers though lol

Average
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230324_140119.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	453030

Name:	20230324_140022.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	453029

Heading up tomorrow and deciding what skis to bring. Forecast looks sunny so I’m guessing my bonafides will be the right option. Any soft snow for the goats left? I’m inclined to bring options since we are driving.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Heading up tomorrow and deciding what skis to bring. Forecast looks sunny so I’m guessing my bonafides will be the right option. Any soft snow for the goats left? I’m inclined to bring options since we are driving.
    Bring options but expect to use non pow skis. Weather will be good for Blackcomb Glacier and alpine!

Thanks for confirming that’s what I thought based on the weather. Traveling with only one pair of skis always seems like a bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Bring options but expect to use non pow skis. Weather will be good for Blackcomb Glacier and alpine!

How’s slackcountry doing with the warming? Looks like a bit of snow and cooler temps this weekend, but are non-north aspects crust now? Trying to think how stuff will ski with 10-20cm on it by Sunday/Monday.

How’s slackcountry doing with the warming? Looks like a bit of snow and cooler temps this weekend, but are non-north aspects crust now? Trying to think how stuff will ski with 10-20cm on it by Sunday/Monday.
    Haven't been up in weeks due to a knee injury, so take this with a grain of salut, but yeah i would assume anything other that pure north is gonna be cooked. Dust on crust pretty much everywhere unless this storm drastically overperforms.

Pay parking-coming soon?

Third, Vail must share revenue if or when the company decides to bring in pay parking on the lots/parkade it owns and direct that funding towards transit and active transportation improvements.

The fourth and final condition is that Vail has to do public engagement with the community on paid parking models in fall 2023.

“There’s considerable uncertainty in terms of when and if this pay parking gets put in place. It’s not in the RMOW’s control. What we can see is a pattern at Vail Resorts for putting it in place because they are seeing some very positive behavioural changes as it relates to traffic and congestion and people carpooling to the hill,”.

https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/lo...arking-6765467

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

"they are seeing some very positive behavioural changes as it relates to traffic and congestion" - I see less people going skiing. I guess that's good for me.

I look after a place with outdoor parking for seven vehicles. On snow days I want them gone in the morning so snow clearing can take place. If they have to pay for parking that's not going to happen.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Dust on crust pretty much everywhere unless this storm drastically overperforms.
    I would say it overperformed for sure. You could still feel the bottom in spots but in other places it was easily 3X what was reported. Killer day for any time of year let alone April 1.

Name:	IMG_0856.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	454102
    BSP with one of the better April Fool's day gag's of the past decade!

great morning yesterday though, really low density over a firm base resulted in many a white room visited!

Staying in Creekside later this week at an Airbnb condo with my inlaws. The condo only has 1 parking spot available but with all our shit (toddlers etc) we are bringing 2 cars. Any good spots in the general vicinity to park a car for 3 nights?

One place I know of is on Lake Placid Road sort of across the street from Roland's (other side of 99 from Creekside base). The good thing for you is the winter parking rules ended on March 31st, so now parking is allowed on the even side of streets in neighborhoods. You're allowed to park for a maximum of 72 hours.
    https://www.whistler.ca/services/tra...urhood-parking

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    One place I know of is on Lake Placid Road sort of across the street from Roland's (other side of 99 from Creekside base). The good thing for you is the winter parking rules ended on March 31st, so now parking is allowed on the even side of streets in neighborhoods. You're allowed to park for a maximum of 72 hours.
    https://www.whistler.ca/services/tra...urhood-parking
    Awesome, thank you! Man, it really does seem like things get so much more relaxed and enjoyable come April in Whistler (pricing and availability is reasonable, parking allowed, crowds hopefully minimal, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Awesome, thank you! Man, it really does seem like things get so much more relaxed and enjoyable come April in Whistler (pricing and availability is reasonable, parking allowed, crowds hopefully minimal, etc).
    You're welcome, but I hope a couple locals can chime in. I only know what I see during my visits there. All I know is street parking is MUCH easier to find outside the restricted winter season!

Anyone see this gongshow on South Coast Touring the other week? https://tareef.tech/blog/wedge-mount...ibextid=kdkkhi

I remember seeing this dude post a bunch of trip reports earlier in the season including getting SAR rescued, I believe from Metal Dome, because him or his partner had a mild flu... after which they proceeded to go out for dinner. Seems like a tech dude from Waterloo that is new to the S2S? Relying on Fatmap for navigation, and his partner is in the comments on SCT thread saying they will just get a drone for next time (drone can be a valid tool but is not the lesson they should be learning). Reminds me of other instances of inexperienced gung ho dudes getting in way over their heads. The lack of self awareness is mind boggling. SAR volunteers must have been stoked to see a familiar face on this one, glad the dude is ok but jeezus.

Anyone see this gongshow on South Coast Touring the other week? https://tareef.tech/blog/wedge-mount...ibextid=kdkkhi

I remember seeing this dude post a bunch of trip reports earlier in the season including getting SAR rescued, I believe from Metal Dome, because him or his partner had a mild flu... after which they proceeded to go out for dinner. Seems like a tech dude from Waterloo that is new to the S2S? Relying on Fatmap for navigation, and his partner is in the comments on SCT thread saying they will just get a drone for next time (drone can be a valid tool but is not the lesson they should be learning). Reminds me of other instances of inexperienced gung ho dudes getting in way over their heads. The lack of self awareness is mind boggling. SAR volunteers must have been stoked to see a familiar face on this one, glad the dude is ok but jeezus.
    We got a thread in Slide Zone for some reason for this, but yeah wild story. Video of the snowboarder is wild. He is lucky that they both didnt die out there after that. Just a complete fuck up, completely defying any reason or logic. A perfect example of why i would never tour a serious objective without my main crew. Ever.

yeah I'm not on the socials, but lurk SCT for conditions beta since it's a public group, and that guy is....uhhhh.....really something

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    We got a thread in Slide Zone for some reason for this, but yeah wild story. Video of the snowboarder is wild. He is lucky that they both didnt die out there after that. Just a complete fuck up, completely defying any reason or logic. A perfect example of why i would never tour a serious objective without my main crew. Ever.
    Is it really such a stretch that I posted it in slide zone? Let it go it’s the fuckin weekend

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    yeah I'm not on the socials, but lurk SCT for conditions beta since it's a public group, and that guy is....uhhhh.....really something
    https://tareef.tech/blog/metal-dome/
    Wow I think i must have missed this somehow, what in the actual fuck! Can't believe it's actually still up I would have deleted that immediately.

Edit: I don't mean to rag on the guy, we all make bad mistakes during our honeymoon phase with any sports, glad he survived and take some learnings from it. Also Benny, slidezone is good idea, particularly to keep others from making the same mistakes, also glad this guy posted it at all so that people can learn from his mistakes, i would have kept it quiet except the inner most circle.
    Last edited by nortonwhis; 04-14-2023 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    I got banned from SCT a long time ago so can't do it myself but ask Matt Gunn if he'll put up a SCT Hall of Fame of Disasters !!!!

There's so many classics. Matt's created a forum that feeds on itself.... so good

Name:	IMG_5035.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	899.9 KB 
ID:	455817

Spent the last few days in whistler/pemberton mostly with family, but managed to get out to spearhead glacier on Wednesday for a beautiful day!

I love the sun rays beaming through the clouds in this photo.

Thinking about a walk from Blackcomb to Whistler second week in may. Too late for the Spearhead? I hear the Whistler gondy's closed until June, does that complicate things?

no idea whether it's a good or bad idea at that time, i think people definitely do mid spring spearheads...probably just have to look out slots on the glaciers. Whistler gondy being closed shouldn't necessarily be a problem, just exit via singing pass and be prepared to walk a bit.