Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler 22-23

Thanks, that is really helpful.

Uphill access ( skins, bootpack) ok via Showcase TBar for backcountry access to Blackcomb Glacier and beyond as of yesterday.

Thanks WB and patrol for go-ahead

FYI on the new snow. 30+ in alpine. Windy and slabby. Water content is around 12% + - good for stability but even for Whistler that's dense. Watch those convexities.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    FYI on the new snow. 30+ in alpine. Windy and slabby. Water content is around 12% + - good for stability but even for Whistler that's dense. Watch those convexities.
    Seemed like it was cooling off as storm ended, thought it would be a bit drier. Still good skiing though? Looked like a bit of a gong show with lift issues on Whistler.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Seemed like it was cooling off as storm ended, thought it would be a bit drier. Still good skiing though? Looked like a bit of a gong show with lift issues on Whistler.
    Yeah Creek and Red were all jacked up this morning causing big delays in the upload from the valley. Big ass lineups at Garbo, Emerald and Harmony this morning. Harmony opened around 10:30 and Peak a bit after 11:00. Peak had no lift lines all afternoon. Stubborn windslabs at ridgetops and exposed treeline terrain, then improving ski quality in sheltered terrain. This storm definitely helped fill in some rocky bits in the alpine. I'm hoping a couple of colder storms this weekend improve the skiing quality a bit.

I was close to the front in the Creekside corral so was so surprised when we hadn’t loaded yet till we got word of the ice removal problems. Once we loaded, we were ahead of the crowds and not stuck in the mega lines at Garbo and Emerald. Timed Harmony well for two pow pow runs

Photo is from a friend in the emerald line. Never seen it go that far out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E9031FEB-AC97-45D7-82D9-ACE518B4B901.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	481.6 KB 
ID:	441577  

That's pretty nuts for a weekday. Doesn't anyone have to work or go to school anymore?

seems my early morning appointment saved me a lot of Creekside grief for once! haha

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    That's pretty nuts for a weekday. Doesn't anyone have to work or go to school anymore?
    Still school holidays until the end of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Still school holidays until the end of the week.
    Wow, that's a long break. Then a holiday for the U.S. coming up on the 16th.

Anyone know where I can pick up a pair of Katana 108s in the Sea to Sky (and bonus points if I can demo a pair). Called all the places you would expect, and it seems like no one received any when the stock arrived this year.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    Anyone know where I can pick up a pair of Katana 108s in the Sea to Sky (and bonus points if I can demo a pair). Called all the places you would expect, and it seems like no one received any when the stock arrived this year.
    Urban Alpine in Squamish stocks Volkl and does demos. I don’t know if they have the Katana.

Anyone hearing reports about or have a sense for if there will be any good skiing at the top of Harmony/Peak/Glacier when they open after this storm, or if it’s warm enough even that high to just be cement?

Judging by the condensation on nearly every camera - I think we’ve probably got some grade A cement on our hands.

Here's the summary:

Freezing level: 2200m

Whistler Peak: 2180m
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

Is the magic carpet in Creekside only for ski school use? Or can you bring your kids there? Buddy has a place in Creekside and thought it would be a nice option instead of driving/parking/walking for Magic chair, kids are still very young.

Anyone get up there for alpine opening on Blackcomb today? How did it ski?

Good skiing all weekend. Saturday resort was busy but great ski quality and not much competition for the good lines. DOA in the sunset to finish via bodybag was excellent. There was a bit of a greenhouse layer thru out the day on Sunday so starting to slab up and be a little weird. DOA again for the evening was still good but a little lower snow quality.

Went up yesterday and several firsts for us.

First time ever getting stuck in heavy traffic at Brohm Lake. Last weekend we left N. Van at 7:30 and hit the traffic at Tower Hill, okay so this weekend we left at 7am....to worse traffic.

First time ever not getting a parking spot in Lot 8. The "Lot Full" sign wasn't up at Blackcomb Way/Glacier...but as we got a couple turns up the steady stream of cars coming down said "we're fucked". I was worried that we'd then get back around to Lot 4/5 to find them full, but there was lots of room.

With the two young kids we've not been back on the every weekend program the last 5 years so we're a bit rusty getting adjusted to the new normal of busy season. Last couple years we've mostly done late season / spring days when it's dead on mountain.

That said as we're skiing with 5yr old and 7yr old so we cut a couple Excelerator laps with no line then over to small lines on Crystal and skied through to a late lunch. Post late lunch it was tiny line/no line for Glacier. Considering the gong show that the main alpine lifts were for mid morning we didn't really feel the crowd. Well other than the last lap down Blue Line off Glacier. I've never seen so many Jerry's on the struggle bus. Snow flurry and some flat light rolled in and wow was it a shit show. I think my kids enjoyed using the fallen as gates cutting turns around em.

Anyway feels good getting back to being a regular every weekend on mountain.

I'm sure Saturday being a restricted day made things much worse yesterday. Today is the Martin Luther King Federal holiday in the U.S. so I'm sure there were lots of people up from south of the border.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Anyway feels good getting back to being a regular every weekend on mountain.
    Nice to see you guys the other week! parking garage crawl notwithstanding! haha

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    Nice to see you guys the other week! parking garage crawl notwithstanding! haha
    Next week we're back over in your hood. Kids have us on alternating schedule between Creekside and Rockcomb. Maybe we'll see you on hill instead of the parking crawl this time.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Next week we're back over in your hood. Kids have us on alternating schedule between Creekside and Rockcomb. Maybe we'll see you on hill instead of the parking crawl this time.
    right on! I opted for a 2.5 hour mountain bike ride saturday which was very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Bamski View Post
    we’ve probably got some grade A cement on our hands.
    Yup. Skis nice in places, but it’s a workout for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Is the magic carpet in Creekside only for ski school use?
    Asked a ski school instructor this today, yes just for them. The public option is over in the village.