Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    Someone was asking for boots on ground about fernie. Well it’s boots on tarmac at the base lol. Icey and tracked out everywhere. Even the top. The head wall has a few turns left in them but it’s pretty gross right now. Expecting snow on Thursday but doesn’t look like much.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I skied the last 4 days and it was warm and sunny with blue skies and spring like conditions. Personally, I thought the skiing was very good. The coverage all the way down to the base is excellent. Some of the the north facing aspects even have winterish conditions.

Just stick to the groomers in the AM and then venture off piste in the PM after things have softened.
    Last edited by Dr.Evil; 03-21-2023 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Staffing is a big issue with the resort.
    Not enough staff housing, nothing to rent on mountain cause air b+b, poor wages, rentals in town are ridiculously expensive if you can find one and the reputation for lack of snow doesn't help.
    Pano is many times a default location for kids if they don't get a job at other resorts.
    The resort has always tried to do to much.
    I've said for years they need to dump the lodging and f+b operations to companies that specialize in them. Summit hut, mile one hut and Elkhorn do quite well and are privately run.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    Honestly though it only takes 2 people to run that outdoor patio. One bartender, one barback/speaker operator. Speaking with a few people who own property right at the mountain, it seems the man in charge is not a popular person, and most of this blame is falling on his lack of effort to listen and improve.
    I heard the guys who ran the T-Bar for years (solid dudes as I recall) finally said "screw this" and took off and opened up their own place in Invermere. Then the dude who runs Pano goes in there and says "wow I like what you've done with the place, how come you never did this at Panorama?" and they said "because, you wouldn't let us." All hearsay and rumours of course, but plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Honestly though it only takes 2 people to run that outdoor patio. One bartender, one barback/speaker operator. Speaking with a few people who own property right at the mountain, it seems the man in charge is not a popular person, and most of this blame is falling on his lack of effort to listen and improve.
    I heard the guys who ran the T-Bar for years (solid dudes as I recall) finally said "screw this" and took off and opened up their own place in Invermere. Then the dude who runs Pano goes in there and says "wow I like what you've done with the place, how come you never did this at Panorama?" and they said "because, you wouldn't let us." All hearsay and rumours of course, but plausible.
    I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by UpperDaze View Post
    Appreciate the input. Heard on chasing the corn. I actually saw a very recent TR from a party that did Peyto to Bow Hut and it sounded like conditions have improved a bit, so we'll probably proceed as planned. Super psyched to check out the area.

Some latest news on Wapta conditions from Mountain Conditions Report.

https://mountainconditions.ca/report...-snow-coverage

Hi all,

We just finished a classic Wapta ski traverse from Peyto Lake to Sherbrooke Lake March 14-18, 2023.

We started the day after a recent storm delivered up to 30cm of new snow in the Bow Summit Area. We had sunny conditions with seasonably cold temperatures and minimal winds. We skied supported and moderately steep terrain between 1700m and 3150m.

We saw evidence of a widespread avalanche cycle which occurred during the storm on March 13th. The aftermath displayed a myriad of slab avalanches out of very steep lee and often rocky alpine terrain in the size 2-3 range. Many of these appeared to have been triggered by cornice falls. A more recent sz 2 slab avalanche, triggered by a serac fall that made it across the existing up track at the crux pinch on route to the Balfour high col.

Not surprising, the coverage on glaciers was much thinner than normal. We measured the below average values with a probe all along the classic itinerary mainly to get a sense of distribution:

• Toe of Peyto Glacier: 90cm
    • 2400m on Peyto Glacier: 140cm
    • 2700m on top of the Bow glacier: 180cm
    • 2900m on mount Gordon: 200cm
    • Vulture glacier: 160cm
    • Toe Balfour Glacier: 160cm
    • Balfour high col and crux: 180cm
    • Waputik and Daily Glacier: >240cm
    • Sherbrooke Lake elevation: 140cm

As you can see there is more snow on the BC side. Of course you can find deeper spots, you can also find much thinner ones! Every wind exposed bulges was very thin and in the order of 80cm, even in the deeper snowpack areas. Needless to say, we roped up a fair amount despite the perfect visibility.

Crevasse bridges were thinner than usual and most importantly much softer than your typical spring. It will be interesting to see how these faceted snow bridges fair into the upcoming spring. Fingers crossed that we get more snow before Spring really sets in.

All in all, a good start to the ski traverse season in the Rockies. Conditions are currently manageable and some excellent skiing can still be found on shady aspects.

Happy Spring!

David Lussier
    acmg mountain guide
    www.summitmountainguides.com
    All conditions, all terrain.
    Expect nothing, don’t be disappointed.
    Too Old To Die Young (TOTDY)

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    I agree 100%.

This makes sense. Having known the individual for years. I like him, and I am a homeowner, and have known him for years from a different perspective. But he is a micromanager. It is why,IMO, he left his old job, a micromanager being managed by a micromanager owner.

He has certainly said and done some things that rub homeowners the wrong way over the years for sure.
    Using Tapatalk

2022/23 Canadian Rockies and related locations thread..

Very true on the KH general store, it is amazing.

Who’s the crazy bastard at Fernie right now from MA? Parked next to someone in an X5 with MA plates and Faction Mana 3s lol

Day 4 of stunning blue skies at Fernie. Icey where there is no sun but most of the runs soften up after lunch. Headwall still had some turns.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1679503991.221609.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	452787
    Last edited by Stuntmonkey; 03-22-2023 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    This makes sense. Having known the individual for years. I like him, and I am a homeowner, and have known him for years from a different perspective. But he is a micromanager. It is why,IMO, he left his old job, a micromanager being managed by a micromanager owner.

He has certainly said and done some things that rub homeowners the wrong way over the years for sure.
    Well, other homeowners said they only listen to tourist input and encouraged us to submit complaints. I've done my part!

"Please rate the apres experience from 1 to 10." I gave it a 1.
    "Please explain your answer." I explained. In detail.

3:30pm bar closing when lifts run until 4:00 is bonkers. If staffing is the issue, then just don't open the bar until 2pm. Who really wants a draft beer or cocktail during the ski day anyway? I'd rather wait till after, given the choice (really though I want both options).

Summit Hut and Elkhorn have a vibe. This doesn't have to be difficult.

Howdy Y'all - looking like our Family and another family are heading North next week for Spring Break and using our Mtn Collective passholder discounts. Looking for some intel on current conditions for Revy, Panorama and Lake Louise. Current plan has us in Revy next Mon/Tues and LL Weds/Thurs and maybe Panorama Fri before my son and I head back to the states while Momma and my daughter head to Kicking Horse for the IFSA NorAms the following week

Appreciate the beta - will be camping in the van and poaching our friends' AirBnB parking lots

Is marmot in refreeze mode yet? If so, how high up?

It was very warm driving in to town today.... but snow-forecast suggests below zero Temps up high.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post
    Howdy Y'all - looking like our Family and another family are heading North next week for Spring Break and using our Mtn Collective passholder discounts. Looking for some intel on current conditions for Revy, Panorama and Lake Louise. Current plan has us in Revy next Mon/Tues and LL Weds/Thurs and maybe Panorama Fri before my son and I head back to the states while Momma and my daughter head to Kicking Horse for the IFSA NorAms the following week

Appreciate the beta - will be camping in the van and poaching our friends' AirBnB parking lots
    Sun Peaks is on the Mountain Collective and is one of the few mountains in western Canada that is having an above average snow year. I suggest checking the alpine settled base levels at Lake Louise and Panorama vs Sun Peaks before making a travel decision.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Sun Peaks is on the Mountain Collective and is one of the few mountains in western Canada that is having an above average snow year. I suggest checking the alpine settled base levels at Lake Louise and Panorama vs Sun Peaks before making a travel decision.
    Pano base is fine. There are no rocks or anything nasty poking out of any run that I found. There's also a weather cycle about to roll through, so things will only improve (maybe 20-30cm this weekend). Taynton bowl and the monster is excellent terrain that hold snow quite well. Temps look favourable for good conditions on the north-facing stuff as well. Just don't plan on having a beer after.

Sun Peaks is always great skiing, though and a more funner time at the base when the lifts stop spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post
    Looking for some intel on current conditions for Revy,

Name:	IMG_2986a.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	452886
    Tuesday

hows the new terrain of the peak at Marmot?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Pano base is fine. There are no rocks or anything nasty poking out of any run that I found. There's also a weather cycle about to roll through, so things will only improve (maybe 20-30cm this weekend). Taynton bowl and the monster is excellent terrain that hold snow quite well. Temps look favourable for good conditions on the north-facing stuff as well. Just don't plan on having a beer after.

Sun Peaks is always great skiing, though and a more funner time at the base when the lifts stop spinning.
    Pano announced the other day apres patio is now open until 5pm....

Everybody owes Paulster a beer.

I'm telling ya, my "bitch, puhleeaze" survey response was the final straw!

Happy to help!

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    hows the new terrain of the peak at Marmot?
    It's pretty great tbh. I'm stoked they've "officially" opened it and if they get the new lift in this summer it'll be less of a hike. I booted it up above Knob Saturday last and skied Suzies. Very good turns considering the lack of snow.

Marmot 2 and Saddle are a bit much for me but I'd be happy to give Marmot 1 a go.

Hey Shorty J, missed your question last night but you probably sampled the conditions already.

The terrain of Marmot 2 is good Long runs and some options for a shorter half lap hike back up. North facing which is a nice addition, skied it Sunday and the 4 day old snow was still light. If we get snow through the spring it will be good for a couple days after any storm.

Yup... the whole mountain was skiing like winter snow... the thaw never really showed up despite the warm weather in town.

Took it easy with the wife today but I might talk myself into a hike tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Name:	F72C5692-BA88-4DD2-ABA9-25D14214247C.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	634.5 KB 
ID:	452966

Name:	0F4B0DA3-1D8C-4B40-A5FB-71D4A927A0F4.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	332.8 KB 
ID:	452967

Sone doors open to beautiful rainbows, lollipop and sunshine in this never ending bad stability dream….

Local watering hole was questionably deep today! Go get some! Telemetry isn’t showing the full story.

Name:	9255751B-FC60-4568-904B-CF44E9E166A2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	879.5 KB 
ID:	453157

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Local watering hole was questionably deep today! Go get some! Telemetry isn’t showing the full story.
    The seeming lack of wind with the latest storm has made for pretty interesting and good skiing - things that are usually somewhat scoured... aren't? Sneaky good March.

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post

Name:	IMG_2986a.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	452886
    Tuesday
    Any updates since last week? Mrs and I are trying to decide between Revy and Banff for the next few days. If history is any guide we should bring the cold with us
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

banff is going to be WAY less horrible, and has more elevations/sides to ski. The high north is still winter, the mid/other elevations are spring.

plus banff has a few more things going on in town (resturants, bar, walks, other non-ski activities)

Current alpine base:
    Lake Louise: 140cm
    Banff/Sunshine: 163cm
    Revy: 214

Granted, at Revy you will likely be mostly skiing the upper mountain 2000' vert. Stoke Chair but they named Banff's mountain range The Rockies for a reason.

I'd go where there is the thickest base or bring rock skis.