Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Sun Peaks got 20cms a couple of nights ago. Everything has been open for a while except for some lower mountain gladed areas that don't get the benefit of summer grooming.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    KH skied well today...
    Hey @DougW,
    how is the coverage in KH? Is steeper stuff skiable or still low tide?
    We are planning to be there Jan 7-9, do they close much for the JR comp?

Conditions at Fernie are OK. Good skiing off of Whitepass, however anything I skied off piste on the lower mountain was on the solid/icy side.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Sun Peaks got 20cms a couple of nights ago. Everything has been open for a while except for some lower mountain gladed areas that don't get the benefit of summer grooming.
    Huh, seems like a good place to early season, and its MC so I'd get half price tix. But a decent detour out of the circle route..will consider.

Showed up at SSV at 10:15 this morning. They were parking at the Hwy…lol. Drove over to Bourgeau Lake parking lot walked off the icon frustration to the Lake…made Lemonade out of Lemons…should have known better but I needed to burn the Turkey off

Quote Originally Posted by eug View Post
    Hey @DougW,
    how is the coverage in KH? Is steeper stuff skiable or still low tide?
    We are planning to be there Jan 7-9, do they close much for the JR comp?
    The steeper stuff still not so much . Just opened CPR north and I can't get excited about that as there has been lots of bomb throwing so avi debris and uncovered rock. So all the steeper ( White wall, redemption past tower 10, T1 min north ) really need one more dump to really make skiable even if they open them. So still a C- in alpine.

As far as JR comp? Its usually part of CPR and then Compton's on redemption north ( not yet open) so not a big deal.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMagnet View Post
    Huh, seems like a good place to early season, and its MC so I'd get half price tix. But a decent detour out of the circle route..will consider.
    Due to all of their extensive and on going summer grooming program, Sun Peaks at this time of year can have 20-30cm thinner base than most other resorts, while having better coverage. Being farther north and slightly colder than most other resorts also helps.

On a clear morning, if you look west, Sun Peaks' Burfield Chair is visible just prior to off loading from Revelstoke's Stoke Chair. They are a 3 hour drive apart.

Thanks, Doug! Much appreciated...

How's marmot skiing? Headed there for the rest of the week? Any beta weibo?

Last update on New Years Day. Skied OK, no real snow over the last week so firm but edgy groomers. The hike spots looked OK but I didn't make it up. Should be warm which will make it fun.

Right on, similar to around here. Only skied there once and it was minus 27...looking forward to checking it out

Just booked spring break trip the other day through Skibig3. So skiing SSV/LL March 27-30, staying in Banff, pretty basic. Today I learnt that Calgary/AB school districts have spring break on that same week in 2023. Are the hills typically really busy on local spring break week? Not that I'm going to change our plan, school schedule dictates, but just trying to prepare mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by OJ204 View Post
    Just booked spring break trip the other day through Skibig3. So skiing SSV/LL March 27-30, staying in Banff, pretty basic. Today I learnt that Calgary/AB school districts have spring break on that same week in 2023. Are the hills typically really busy on local spring break week? Not that I'm going to change our plan, school schedule dictates, but just trying to prepare mentally.
    Will depend on conditions, family day weekend spring break that some schools do in February is way worse. Shouldn't be terrible depending what you are used to.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Right on, similar to around here. Only skied there once and it was minus 27...looking forward to checking it out
    It's pretty fun. Especially since nobody skis the trees there apparently. Especially good on a 25cm day the day after jetski and weibo have shown you around so you know where you're going!

Skied LL 12/30 - 1/3. Stunning days, but pretty meh all around. New Years day was about 5cm trace which was nice. Was also DEAD. The 2nd was a gongshow. Skating rink by lunch time. They need snow, bad.

Backside was rock ski central too.

end of march most people in AB/BC are into golf/bikes, so should be quiet

Skied LL today: good conditions for mid November. Was fine on most groomed stuff, but a few areas of gravel the cats have chewed up. overall not great, but not too bad.

The fat biking in banff is GREAT right now

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post

Skied LL today: good conditions for mid November. Was fine on most groomed stuff, but a few areas of gravel the cats have chewed up. overall not great, but not too bad.

The fat biking in banff is GREAT right now
    Was perfect training for my Alps ski trip! Icy groomers with tons of people!🤣

Amazing day in the Rockies today- yeah their is no snow, the travel is shit and the stability is brutal, but the views are incredible!

Was able to break into a a new zone that seldom has seen ski traffic. Some tall mtns with large vertical relief and inspiring lines to put on the radar for a future season when conditions are better/safer….till than we dream!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42580651-A795-4080-885D-C23F2B36BC30.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	518.4 KB 
ID:	441252

This deserves to be posted

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    Skied LL 12/30 - 1/3. Stunning days, but pretty meh all around. New Years day was about 5cm trace which was nice. Was also DEAD. The 2nd was a gongshow. Skating rink by lunch time. They need snow, bad.

Backside was rock ski central too.
    That's why I'm sitting in a Trail hotel right now. WH2O might not have shit for new snow recently either, yet they have a fuckload of it, and you could still find a few virgin lines. It took half the day for me to stop holding back out of core-shot fear and by the time that happened I was already beat up. FML. Rossland in the morning, not sure where to go friday.

Quote Originally Posted by TOLOCOMan View Post
    It's pretty fun. Especially since nobody skis the trees there apparently. Especially good on a 25cm day the day after jetski and weibo have shown you around so you know where you're going!
    You aren't finding my stash!

..The same stash a hundred other people call theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Will depend on conditions, family day weekend spring break that some schools do in February is way worse. Shouldn't be terrible depending what you are used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Sweet! Thanks. Not going to stress about it.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Was able to break into a a new zone that seldom has seen ski traffic. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42580651-A795-4080-885D-C23F2B36BC30.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	518.4 KB 
ID:	441252
    GPS and detailed approach?

tia (thanks in advance)
    Relatively low post count.

Sure hope the snow pack gets its act together. Maybe a couple big storms to flush and settle. Out with friends middle of February to the end. Hitting a few days at Fernie, Castle, LL combo on drive to Calgary to pick up the third, then a week in Golden and Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Sure hope the snow pack gets its act together. Maybe a couple big storms to flush and settle. Out with friends middle of February to the end. Hitting a few days at Fernie, Castle, LL combo on drive to Calgary to pick up the third, then a week in Golden and Rogers
    Unlikely stability will be improving…

https://www.avalanche.ca/blogs/the-persisting-problem

^ to the point where I don’t have enough experience to start fucking around in the BC without some serious mentors / guides around me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums