Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanminebay View Post
    Hi - Looking for some advice. First time poster. If this should be in another section, please let me know.

We are going to Kicking Horse in early/mid-March. Have booked to do 5 days, but now my wife and daughter are going early to do a 2-day 'Rippin Betties' clinic before our 5 days...so, my son and I are trying to decide if we should do:
    - 7 days at KH or
    - 2 days at Lake Louise before KH or
    - 2 days at Revelstoke before KH

Our 2-day plan would be to leave early morning from Golden and ski LL/Revy, stay overnight in LL/Revy, ski the next day and drive back to Golden.

My questions are:
    - would it be better to just stay at KH? We've skied KH, Fernie, and Pano previously. But not LL or Revy.
    - Would all this driving be too ambitious?

Thank you in advance. Ryan
    March is still a month away, but right now both Revy and LL are hurting for snow with Revy's base a lower than normal 169cm and LL a very poor 89cm alpine base and they don't call it the Rockies without a reason. Of the two, Revy is known as a lot more of a powder mountain than LL so Revy has the best chance of a recovery.

You might want to leave the decision until the last minute, if there happens to be a big snow event, Revy might look like the best option, with the issue that Rogers pass could possibly close, stranding you there.

Or reve, in spring can get rain peek to creek, and LL get some spring powder

Wait last minute and see snow, vs rain, vs open roads.

Thank you for the replies…very much appreciated.

Weather permitting, we’ll plan to do Revy but be flexible to do LL (or stay at KH). My son is very pumped that we might get to Revy.

Regarding Rogers Pass…anything we should be aware of??? We’ll be driving a large rental SUV that will have M+S tires (which I believe are legal in BC) but not true 3peak snow tires. Think that will be a problem?

Finally, any suggestions for discounted tix? These single and 2 day passes are pricey!!

is Rodger pass is open and you have tires its usually OK. If its closed just enjoy the skiing where you are .

x2 what mtnlion said. We live in BC and use our 24' class C for skiing all over the province and M+S have never been a problem as long as we stay put if it snows a significant amount.
    Recently we upgraded to studded Nokian LT3s and feel safer. Just be cautious.
    I can recommend Boulder Mountain Resort in Revy
    https://bouldermountainresort.ca/
    The Parks Canada campsite at Lake Louise is excellent and only 10 minutes from the hill.
    https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/ab/ban...lakelouisehard
    Look up Hard sided campground
    If you are picking up the RV in Calgary you might think about Castle. I wrote this so am biased
    https://www.skitalk.com/threads/unof...esort-ab.4764/
    PM me for more info

any suggestions for discounted tix? These single and 2 day passes are pricey!!
    If you’re flying into Calgary, Costco often sells discounted tickets to the various hills. But, I haven’t checked their availability this year.

Do you have an Ikon pass? Or Mountain Collective?
    Those work for some of the hills you’re considering.

The different areas also sell their own discount card that’s valid at a few different resorts. (Sunshine Card, RCR card, Lake Louise card)
    Sunshine’s card works for Revy. The an RCR card for KH, and then LL

The ski card costs around the price of a day ticket, and gives you a discount on subsequent ski days. (1st, 4th and 7th day free, with discounts in between). Not great savings , but better than nothing.

I think you have to be a resident for the RCR card

How is the coverage at fernie at the moment? Is it rock dodging everywhere of the groomed runs, like at Louise right now?

Thinking of heading down to get some of the snow forecast in the next couple of days but I'd like to know if I'm going to ruin my shit on newly covered rocks everywhere?

Yes, I know it's called "the rockies", but this year is exceptionally bad around here for Feb.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    How is the coverage at fernie at the moment? Is it rock dodging everywhere of the groomed runs, like at Louise right now?

Thinking of heading down to get some of the snow forecast in the next couple of days but I'd like to know if I'm going to ruin my shit on newly covered rocks everywhere?

Yes, I know it's called "the rockies", but this year is exceptionally bad around here for Feb.

Fernie resident checking in. Based on what I'm hearing we may have the best conditions around. Maybe not "legendary powder" but I ski every day and there is always something. They have been opening face lift hike pretty regularly if you want to hike for pow. I have seen some head wall track in the last week so someone is staying late and enjoying themselves.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

^^^ thanks!

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

^^^ thanks!

look me up, I'm generally in line at Deer at 9AM and then in the store (see signature below) in the afternoon dealing with some post holiday maladies at the moment but still skiing every day
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Norquay is still skiing the best around Banff! Big chair has been nice and chalky!

Side note- thx Crashidy for an epic trip to the Purcell’s! Good to shred some deep snow on a very thin year…

Name:  354A4FD0-50E3-4BC9-8EE5-A18835D1FBE8.jpeg
Views: 527
Size:  80.9 KB

Been flipping between kicking Horse and fernie on weekends. Coverage at fernie is great, but there are some firm spots. Clean up your edges and fernie will be lots of fun.

Powder.... Sun.. Repeat

My search skills suck- Question: How is the snow at Panorama on average? I have only been there during the summer. Terrain looks to be a mixture of high alpine and mellow trees.
    I have potential for free lodging within walking distance of the lifts. Would fly into Calgary from Minneapolis and take the 4 hr shuttle. Better option to get there? $24 cat rides worth it or better to hike?

Thanks in advance
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by mn_teleswede View Post
    My search skills suck- Question: How is the snow at Panorama on average? I have only been there during the summer. Terrain looks to be a mixture of high alpine and mellow trees.
    I have potential for free lodging within walking distance of the lifts. Would fly into Calgary from Minneapolis and take the 4 hr shuttle. Better option to get there? $24 cat rides worth it or better to hike?

Thanks in advance
    I have never skied Panorama but I am aware that it gets the least snow of any major resort in western Canada and as such it is the only one with snow making top to bottom. They are currently listing an Alpine base of less than 100cm. Most resorts in western Canada are right now below normal for base depth....there has been lots of mild weather.

No snowmaking past the champagne unload station.
    Lowest snow levels I've seen in 20 years.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    No snowmaking past the champagne unload station.
    Lowest snow levels I've seen in 20 years.

Is it rock-city? Will be there in March with the fam. I will never expect an abundance of snow at Pano, but just want to know how rough it's gonna be.

Thank you for the replies…very much appreciated.

Weather permitting, we’ll plan to do Revy but be flexible to do LL (or stay at KH). My son is very pumped that we might get to Revy.

Regarding Rogers Pass…anything we should be aware of??? We’ll be driving a large rental SUV that will have M+S tires (which I believe are legal in BC) but not true 3peak snow tires. Think that will be a problem?

Finally, any suggestions for discounted tix? These single and 2 day passes are pricey!!
    I just got back from out there with a buddy. Flew to YYC, drove to Revy, and then came back to KH.

Revy info:
    #1 - go to Revelstoke and don't let a naysayer tell you otherwise.

#2 - Rogers Pass is fine to drive on, hundreds of trucks do it daily. Sure, it can close for bombing but play the odds that it'll be open - it's the trans-Canada highway after all, they need to keep that shit running. Our car was a Cherokee with M+S shitty-ass tires, and we were fine. It's just a windy mountain road - take it easy, let others pass where the situation dictates, and adjust speed for conditions and it's all good. Nothing to worry about!

#3 - Stay at the Stoke Hotel in Revy. Low price, a solid breakfast complete with granola bars and cookies you can grab for chairlift lunch, a large hot tub so you don't have to touch other dudes (unless you're in to that sort of thing, I won't judge), and they've got a shuttle to downtown and back. Everything you need.

#4 - Snow is fine at Revelstoke right now. Is it low? Yes. Is it still fun? Yes! Are there rocks? Not really, more logs and stumps poking through the bowl run-outs but those don't hurt the skis. By March it might be dumping like crazy, yeah it might rain, but it might not. Who cares and you'll be skiing so have fun.

#5 - Get to the Mack outpost at 11:15 and get a burger. Best burger I've ever had in my life. You want a double with cheese and pickles. By 11:30 lineup will be out the door.

KH info:
    #1 - go to KH and don't let a naysayer tell you otherwise.

#2 - The snow is borderline there right now. My skis are a mess from the rocks which are everywhere but a base grind will get them back square again. There are plenty of lines with great coverage - ask mountain hosts or patrol for what's good at that time. And again - it might be dumping by the time you go so don't worry about what things are like right now. Locals are always upset about something snow-related at any given time... they get to ski in the best conditions every season.

#3 - I don't really have any advice where to stay. I would suggest something close to downtown but it doesn't really matter. One day we are gonna splurge and stay right at the base. All I can tell you is don't stay in Golden and drive to Revy for 2 days, that's a crazy amount of time on the road. Stay in Revy, ski there, and then move your base over to Golden.

#4 - Might as well go to LL one day while you're there - it's like 40 minutes from Golden. After skiing go to the Lake and take a touristy photograph.

Revelstoke and Kicking Horse are 2 incredible places to ski and should not be missed by anyone who has the opportunity to visit. Enjoy!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6194.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	555.1 KB 
ID:	446631

Name:	IMG_0328.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	272.2 KB 
ID:	446632

Name:	IMG_5897.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	561.5 KB 
ID:	446633

Name:	IMG_5843.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	652.0 KB 
ID:	446634

Name:	IMG_5724.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	681.4 KB 
ID:	446635

Name:	IMG_5624.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	709.2 KB 
ID:	446636

Name:	IMG_5565.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	562.1 KB 
ID:	446637

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Is it rock-city? Will be there in March with the fam. I will never expect an abundance of snow at Pano, but just want to know how rough it's gonna be.
    I haven't ridden the resort in a couple years(I sled to get the pow riding), but work in the village.
    My staff said it's ok, groomers are good spring riding. Off groomers not so much.
    Currently plus 2.
    February and March can bring some good precipitation.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    I have never skied Panorama but I am aware that it gets the least snow of any major resort in western Canada and as such it is the only one with snow making top to bottom. They are currently listing an Alpine base of less than 100cm. Most resorts in western Canada are right now below normal for base depth....there has been lots of mild weather.
    Thanks. This would be a 2024 winter trip for clarification. Sounds like late Feb/ early March is best time to go.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

[QUOTE=paulster2626;6795541] Locals are always upset about something snow-related at any given time... [/QUOTE

Haha. Where do you get that?

Sleeper pow day today. Dumping hard still. But beware, it’s low tide. Worst base I’ve seen in 15 years. Skis getting written off left right and centre.

How is the drive from revelstoke to Nelson? I have a week off in the 2nd half of Feb and thinking about hitting up Revelstoke, Whitewater, and Red.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Locals drive like a motherfucker