Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1282
    anyone maybe gonna be at Mt Ashland next week?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Oregon 2022/2023 Triple Nina Winter Season

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Same today. Twilight Bowl in the morning, then AbsMag and surrounding trees till Silver Bowl opened at 11:30, A-Zone opened maybe 12:30, but for us it was fresh tracks hot laps from the bomb shack at Silver, down through Clark Canyon for the rest of the day. So much snow at the top of silver that the upper cornice has turned into a roller and the sastrugi on the west side of the nose are all buried. Ski on lift lines with a few weird but brief moments of congestion. Another epic day.

:::::@:::::
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleeject View Post
    Decently busy at MHM this morning. I think the throng was anticipating a day of schussing under clear skies, which didn’t materialize until about 2pm. Surprisingly, they opened cascade, and upper Heather canyon, when it was still soup city up high. I was one of the first people into silver bowl and the snow was phenomenal but the visibility was horrendous, bordering on non-existent. Visibility aside, it was very fun, just unfortunate to encounter snow that begged for full throttle when I couldn’t see.
    Glad to hear it was a good one…I def kept side-eyeing the lift status at work today to see how it went.
    Winter’s not gone yet

The traverse to Clark was certainly worth it today! Last run through there around 3 got some blazing sun and sudden monster pinwheels trucking down off of pea gravel.

Glad you all had a wonderful day! I decided to slog up up MSH channeling my inner David Goggins. Top ⅓ was socked in with icy spots and sastrugi and the descent was a pure survival getting nauseated with vertigo. Middle ⅓ was a mixed bag but had some nice pockets in the gullies. Bottom ⅓ grabby sun baked mashed potatoes… Now I’m thoroughly trained and ready to appreciate Meadows with the spring break crowd this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by doubleeject View Post
    Decently busy at MHM this morning. I think the throng was anticipating a day of schussing under clear skies, which didn’t materialize until about 2pm. Surprisingly, they opened cascade, and upper Heather canyon, when it was still soup city up high. I was one of the first people into silver bowl and the snow was phenomenal but the visibility was horrendous, bordering on non-existent. Visibility aside, it was very fun, just unfortunate to encounter snow that begged for full throttle when I couldn’t see.
    Indeed....blind ride down Silver with the avy bomb debris was crazy. Whole day was phenom and I don't say that about hood very often.

Is the waterfall at the bottom of Moon Bowl covered/buried in snow or did I just miss it? Unbelievable if its buried!

Report from the hill today: fairly firm with a stiff breeze; snow was thin and didn’t seem to accumulate much; trees skied better than bowls; still snowing

Nice medium density 14" Cascade April Fools powder day at Bachelor. Good way to start April.

"We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Have fun today, OR skiers!
    It’s gonna be fun!
    :.:.:.::: ::: ::: ::::.:.:.: !!!!!

Feels like January. Only better.

Lighter than yesterday and just as deep. And crowds still on the lighter side.

"We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

how about Mt Ashland tomorrow?

Heather chair ramp had to be dug out
    Name:  Image1680477994.710216.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  106.4 KB

Such good snow today!

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Heather chair ramp had to be dug out
    ...SNIP...
    Such good snow today!
    Looks super sweet. Very sad I couldn't partake today, though I heard lines were def not great. By 9a, Main, Sunrise and HRM lots were already full. <gack>

---
    On another note...

Is there some good reason they always (or seemingly always) shovel the Heather load ramp like it's something you'd use to get to orbit?!
    It seems to happen that way almost always, and then they just yell at everyone to "keep your tips up" - when it's not that half the riders fail to keep their tips up, but that the ramp is so crappy that it causes a ton of problems.

Big chair bumps don't help - get a ski just a little off axis and the rebound from the chair bump makes it way worse. I get the liftie is trying to be nice, but I'd rather you just stand there.
    Add to that, that the distance from the chair seat to the ramp itself is often like 14" or something - especially at the end of the "Orbit" ramp.

I guess it's easier to yell at your paying customers than shovel?

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    how about Mt Ashland tomorrow?
    closed

damn

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Looks super sweet. Very sad I couldn't partake today, though I heard lines were def not great. By 9a, Main, Sunrise and HRM lots were already full. <gack>

---
    On another note...

Is there some good reason they always (or seemingly always) shovel the Heather load ramp like it's something you'd use to get to orbit?!
    It seems to happen that way almost always, and then they just yell at everyone to "keep your tips up" - when it's not that half the riders fail to keep their tips up, but that the ramp is so crappy that it causes a ton of problems.

Big chair bumps don't help - get a ski just a little off axis and the rebound from the chair bump makes it way worse. I get the liftie is trying to be nice, but I'd rather you just stand there.
    Add to that, that the distance from the chair seat to the ramp itself is often like 14" or something - especially at the end of the "Orbit" ramp.

I don’t quite understand why it takes that takeoff shape, but they do have a snowblower there so it’s not like it would need to be dug by hand. OTOH, usually only 1 liftie down there. I’m ok with the liftoff as long as the chair gets open asap
    AbMag was ridiculous today
    Tomorrow & Tues should be good

from Mt Ashland FB

❄️❄️❄️❄️

⚠️Uphill travel is permitted this week- but extreme caution is advised. This is not your normal April. The Bowl has been closed for a few days due to a dangerous cornice that is not responding to aggressive mitigation, and has some hollowing. A cornice fall will slide into all routes in The Bowl, and there is already considerable debris in the runout. Other areas in-bounds have also seen unusual activity and conditions, including Balcony. The ski area is not operating Monday-Thursday and there is not any avalanche mitigation being conducted on these days. All terrain should be considered backcountry and potentially dangerous. Use this information to inform your activities and make prudent and cautious decisions. Uphill travel is always a risky activity and we urge extreme caution this week. Never assume a trail is safe because you’ve skied it before.⚠️ (photo taken earlier this week and does not show the current state of this cornice)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1680488200.030052.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	454182

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post

---
    On another note...

I've always said, if you lose a ski or fall out of the Heather chair loading, you lose your Heather privileges for the rest of the day!

If you're not skiing these conditions you should be. Self identifying pow skis.

Name:	20230404_124122.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	614.7 KB 
ID:	454404
    yepper

Rad. Nice reminder to be smart and safe when chasing untracked turns through the gates

https://nwac.us/avalanches/20230404_heather-canyon/

Name:	IMG_1060.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	652.6 KB 
ID:	454513

Name:	IMG_1061.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	611.9 KB 
ID:	454514

That ^ is wild. I almost always steer clear of accordion. Very rarely have I not seen evidence of a recent slide there. Nothing ever that big though!

I am kind of curious how likely it is that a skier could have triggered that. Like how does the force of a 5lb explosive charge compare to the forces generated by a skier/boarder?

Quote Originally Posted by river59 View Post
    That ^ is wild. I almost always steer clear of accordion. Very rarely have I not seen evidence of a recent slide there. Nothing ever that big though!

I am kind of curious how likely it is that a skier could have triggered that. Like how does the force of a 5lb explosive charge compare to the forces generated by a skier/boarder?
    Ha. It's my favorite place!
    The last few weeks, every time we could, we'd do A-Zone, then down to hammer-head/conan's nose. But yeah, that roll-off into hammer-head is steep, and gets, IMO, a ton of wind deposit. But it all gets bombed to heck, at least according to the scorch marks.

There was a "cool" cornice that was building on the waterfall side of that ridge (further east - and that looked like it might be where that break started.

i did sort of wonder when we'd see a major release between winter loading & spring temp swings
    maybe we'll still see another not triggered by patrol?

Like the one back in 2010 or 11? When Wy'east face broke off and slid all the way down past Heather lift? That was a whopper and I doubt we will ever see another one like it... at least I hope not.

how about that MHM early renewal price? looks like they're finally setting costs to deter crowds...
    maybe we can get another 5yr cap improvement deal when sahale runs out?

How about expanded parking space to go along with a new six sitter? Bawahaha... too funny.

Every time I go to Portland, I listen to a panel-style discussion on diversity.

Is that a typical experience out here? A sign of the times? The people I been hanging out with?

It's cool cuz I'm down for the cause, but man, I'm not even actively seeking these things out, yet I just got back from one that lasted for 3 days!

It was totally a bait and switch for a mostly unrelated meeting that should've only been a few hours max.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk