Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I'm far from a expert on the sport, but we watch a good amount of World Cup every four years. That said, I really really enjoyed this skewering:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...rage-tv-soccer

And the one that proceeded it: https://www.theguardian.com/football...ccer-criticism
    Meh, making fun of Americans is a sport itself in the UK.

Let's hear them announce an NFL game or an NHL game, then they can judge.

Doesn't matter who it is, FOX, ESPN, etc. They have to dumb the game down for the 'Merican public, knowing that 0-0 ties are going to lose the audience immediately.

I like Rob Stone, but he WAS our High School assistant coach in the late 80's, so I have a bit of a blind spot to stupid shit he says.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post

Doesn't matter who it is, FOX, ESPN, etc. They have to dumb the game down for the 'Merican public, knowing that 0-0 ties are going to lose the audience immediately.

I like Rob Stone, but he WAS our High School assistant coach in the late 80's, so I have a bit of a blind spot to stupid shit he says.
    No doubt but the underlying message is that the talent and capability to cover and properly announce the World Cup by Americans is there - Fox just isn't focused on doing it right and isn't putting the right people on the bus.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Hmmm, I haven't watched it on Fox (watching replays on Tubi has been awesome, a few commercials before the game, and at half time), however there is one announcer, John Strong, who has irritated me to the point of yelling at the TV. The guy is always fixated on, and spouting "what would happen if..." (before Argentinas second game he was phrasing everything as if it was a foregone conclusion that they would be eliminated) while ignoring the game. He also has a fawning obsession with star players, and was practically freaking out when Ronaldo didn't start. It was as if he had this whole page of Ronaldo factoids, and resented not being able to spout them, so he repeatedly mentioned how the fans had come to see Ronaldo play.

When he does call the game, he very obviously tries to be yelling at a fever pitch whenever the ball gets near the net, in hopes of having an Al Michaels "Do you believe in miracles?!?!" moment to immortalize his voice in sports history (when Naymar of Brazil had an opportunity in front of the goal, he lead into the shot yelling "to-Naymar-to break-Pele's-record for gooaalsssss....") What a tool. Sadly he seems to get assigned to the hot ticket games.

The one I've liked is Ally Wagner, she is super analytical, and has a husky female-athlete tone of voice that I find kinda hot. She, along with Derek Rae, who's ESPN's lead Bundesliga commentator, have been my favorite team during The Cup.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

So Husky Athlete women are a thing on tgr now?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

So far no dancing in Qatar today.. Another 30 minutes to see
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Ooof

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Ooof
    Amazing momentum shift off that deflection.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

What a stunning finish... Brazil thought they had it in the bag. Croatia said NOPE

I'm good with either Ned or Arg.. Would be cool for Messi to win a World Cup before he retires. Aldo fine with the team that beat the USA advancing..

Currently all in on England though until they lose... My guitar player's from France wo he'll be happy if they win... and again..

I have relatives in both the Netherlands and France.
    Should be good for some WhatsApp banter if they both
    get through this round and play each other.
    Matches are getting tougher though.
    Fingers crossed.

Geez Argentina is just flopping around. So annoying to watch

And De Jong gets a yellow card. Fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    No doubt but the underlying message is that the talent and capability to cover and properly announce the World Cup by Americans is there - Fox just isn't focused on doing it right and isn't putting the right people on the bus.
    I think the underlying theme is the same as it is in Rugby. They make fun, because they know we will never compete. IF the US went all in on Football and Rugby, and made it worthwhile for the BEST athletes to focus on those sports, I think the world knows we could dominate. That will never happen though, so they take the piss.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    I have relatives in both the Netherlands and France.
    Should be good for some WhatsApp banter if they both
    get through this round and play each other.
    Matches are getting tougher though.
    Fingers crossed.
    Netherlands would play Croatia if they come back and steal the game here

God Argentina is playing dirty right now. What a joke of a team.

WOW

What a school-yard play!
    Never let your guard down until the final whistle!

You just know this thing is going to PKs

Argentina making a push here at the end.

Definitely some excitement here in the closing minutes of OT, but - come on. It's going to PKs

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Definitely some excitement here in the closing minutes of OT, but - come on. It's going to PKs
    Never a doubt about it.

Not really sure who to root for. Argentina was playing cheap and flopping all over the place, and their fans are obnoxious as fuck, but...

Netherlands bounced the US... and Messi deserves to win a cup once before he retires. So... go Blue?

I really want to see Messi get a cup... Pulling for England but if not... Messi!

The world cup games today were just unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post

Watched Mike Emrick announce Olumpic water polo,, a sport he knew nothing about, and said so. He had an ex player with him and he mostly asked her questions. One more reason Doc is one of the sports announcing GOATs.
    We watched the US-Iran game in Spanish and it was pretty good. I don't speak Spanish.
    There was a piece in the New Yorker on line today "Has the US Become a Soccer Nation?" Uh, if you have to ask, no. The fact that the piece was in the New Yorker says a lot.