Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Looking for a new whip... 2023 ride advice sought ; what bike

Just sold my SC 5010 aka "the dad bike". My kids were smaller & this was fun to pop/hop around on while they were improving. However, it got scary at speeds and when I was really hammering as the medium just felt "short".... it is a BMX MTB so I get it, but felt undersized to corner or really rail. This rig had a reach of 440 & effective top tube of 598mm & performed exactly as designed - BMX'er.

Looking for a next bike for trail & fast wheels on the ground Vermont riding. May do some gentle lift serve, but more pedaling. Wildcard is that I'm going to finish my project of a Kona Honzo ST as a single speed this week, so I'm not in a huge rush.

Interested in the collectives thoughts. TT/Reach need to be longer than above. TIA.

What's your preference for climbing vs descending prowess? Do you want a 50/50 bike that is equally competent at both, or do you want a bike that's better at descending at the expense of climbing, or vice versa?

Also, 29er? 27.5? Mullet?

Used, or brand new?
    Size?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    What's your preference for climbing vs descending prowess? Do you want a 50/50 bike that is equally competent at both, or do you want a bike that's better at descending at the expense of climbing, or vice versa?

Also, 29er? 27.5? Mullet?
    I'm a pretty legit climber & enjoy climbing. My descending is weaker. I would not mind lugging a few extra lbs if it meant I could get better at the downs & cornering. Was not thinking 27.5 as 5010 front wheel just seemed undersized for the roots/rocks in Vermont.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Used, or brand new?
    Size?
    Just not a dentist bike. Don't mind used as the bike will see action at work. I'm a destination rehabilitation / performance coach, so I ride w. a lot of my clients. It will get plenty dirty & beat up.

Just get the red one.

I’m a big Rocky Nerd, I have never gone faster than on this frame. Plus, it can be converted from 140mm to 160mm (with a different shock), or even mullet if you want. Adjustable wheelbase, ride 9 adjustable geometry, etc. Coilover if you want.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E3C93A6C-EC23-4221-8A15-178B9BC3CAFB.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	712.3 KB 
ID:	430194

https://bikes.com/collections/instinct

Not Dentist:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E16D01AC-73D4-415E-A347-0A9CBAC74FDB.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	697.1 KB 
ID:	430196

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    I'm a pretty legit climber & enjoy climbing. My descending is weaker. I would not mind lugging a few extra lbs if it meant I could get better at the downs & cornering. Was not thinking 27.5 as 5010 front wheel just seemed undersized for the roots/rocks in Vermont.
    I'll be that guy: a bigger bike will allow you to go faster with your current level of ability, but it's not going to help you "get better at the downs & cornering". Riding more and focusing on skills will do that, regardless of which bike you're on, but I and many other crusty fucks would argue that a hardtail or shorter travel bike will force you to learn proper technique more effectively than a big sled that just allows (encourages) you to brute-force the mountain.

Most modern bikes are so great these days that I'd say you can have fun on anything. I enjoy things like 50 mile, 10,000' climbing days, and for that I find a "downcountry" bike like the Ripley to be great. If you prioritize the downhills, 140mm of travel in the rear and a bigger fork will definitely make that more fun.

An underestimated factor, I think, is tires. I can put 650g XC tires on the Ripley and it rides like a totally different bike than when it has 1100g enduro tires on it. I most often run the bigger tires because they are more fun but way slower. I don't destroy the XC tires, so durability isn't the issue. It's more just how much more confidence inspiring the big knobs are. My personal sweet spot is the "downcountry" bike with a reservoir shock, bigger fork, and fairly burly tires. Other people like to take an enduro bike and try to make it weigh 27#.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I'll be that guy: a bigger bike will allow you to go faster with your current level of ability, but it's not going to help you "get better at the downs & cornering". Riding more and focusing on skills will do that, regardless of which bike you're on, but I and many other crusty fucks would argue that a hardtail or shorter travel bike will force you to learn proper technique more effectively than a big sled that just allows (encourages) you to brute-force the mountain.
    No, be that guy! It's part of the reason I've wanted to build the single speed hardtail for a while to get "better". That said the 5010 at 130r/140f w/ a Fox Factory 34 was not enough bike for my current rowdiness.

Realistically, any bike in the 140-150mm rear travel neighborhood is potentially going to work well for you. You're not going to know if a specific bike jives with your preferences without trying it. Unless you ride something and fall in love with it, I'd probably just go with something that you can get a deal on. Bonus points if that deal is from a good local shop that'll help you out if things break (which they will, sooner or later).

Viable options to look at:
    Rocky Mtn. Instinct
    Trek Fuel EX
    Specialized Stumpjumper / Stumpy Evo
    Transition Sentinel
    Propain Hugene
    Canyon Spectral
    Commencal Meta TR
    Ibis Ripmo
    Norco Sight

That's certainly a non-exhaustive list. And I didn't include Yeti, Santa Cruz, or Pivot because those are all tipped pretty heavily towards dentists these days.

Irip,

As Toast is saying, and as you know, bikes are like skis, and the only way to really figure out your preferences is to try via connections or cash; too bad they're ten times more expensive.
    ^That list (based on my own research, not experience) is a solid one, and I think you would be hard pressed to have a bad time on any of them, or have your learning curve unnecessarily stunted.
    That said, my 2 cents is I just spent 3 seasons on a Carbon Sentinel (riding in BC) and was very happy. Light, climbs great, and Transition's kinematics are generally pretty balanced (sit nicely between the extremes of lively and plush), meaning it works well in a variety of roles (flatter and steeper terrain, tech and flow), relatively speaking of course; their PNW inspired long, low geo may not be best in your terrain however, so hopefully some mags local to your area can chime in.

Transition's spec is also reasonably valuable comparatively, not something I can say about Rocky's, coming off an Altitude previously, at least in Canadia. Love Rocky's brand, and their bikes (new Altitude looks sick), I'm just a cheap mofo. Speaking of value, if your maintenance is self sufficient, it is difficult to beat the value of Canyon/Commencal. Love and support my LBS, but value is value. If this is you, I would personally lean Canyon (own one) over Commencal (ditto) for your needs (carbon available), but if you have any warranty issues, it's an overseas affair. In writing this, if this isn't you, buying from a local LBS is the way (IMHO), as you'll have someone to learn from as you go (what I did with my Altitude and Sentinel until I was at a self sufficient stage).
    Transition makes fun bikes, I only sold mine (begrudgingly), as a decade and a half in cramped cockpits means my spine has an aversion to vibrations, so chose to prioritize fit and a compliant/plush ride for my trail bike, via a Commencal (Meta SX), over the other contender, a Patrol. I'm in better shape now too cause its heavy AF!
    Pinkbike's Field Tests can be valuable as well. Demoing can help should it be avail.
    The research is underway to narrow your list, then find a deal on a frame with a good spec, and enjoy the shit out of your new rig.
    Buy a bike and be a dick about it! Enjoy man.

I've ridden quite a few Enduro style bikes and I haven't disliked one of them yet. I honestly think it's hard to go wrong today. Stumpy EVO is pretty impressive for sure.

While not a dentist, I've bought two SC bikes. I've also been sent two free frames and a free reserve wheelset. Everything that was replaced is still going. Their customer service is outstanding from my perspective. I'm pretty much a lifer at this point...except my fatbike because they don't make one. I have a 29er Hightower, Bronson 650b, and a Bronson mixed wheel. All three are slightly different, but super fun.

^thanks all! Fit will be the prime driver, yet I love all the suggestions!

quick insight on the Stumpy EVO, it is not an enduro bike. i've had mine for two years now and the size S5 is the best fitting bike i've ever owned. super agile. climbs like a champ and is super fun on everything from flow to tech. seems to carry speed incredibly well in all sorts of settings except fast gnar. it is a trail bike after all.

biggest shortcomings are the adjustable headset will develop a creak, fragile downtube and the rear shock BLOWS... i'm on my third shock (went down the cascade components rabbit hole, those suck too) and finally have found something that handles speed and chunk well enough, TTX Air2. gets this long legged trail bike close to enduro level performance.

would i buy one again? probably, but would have gotten the aluminum frameset. and wish they would dispense with the adjustable headset. the middle setting is perfect IMO.

edit to add: i've brought this bike to VT twice and it's great for riding there. i'd prob commit to the mullet link and a 27.5 rear wheel if i was fortunate enough to ride there full time.
    bumps are for poor people

I'm in a somewhat similar place. Nearing 40 dad coming off a gen 1 Bronson. I used to live in western MA, but now live in the desert West, so tight woods are less of an issue, but my home trail system is pretty old school in spots. I am almost always pedaling up and not riding crazy drops, but my trails are steep and rocky.

I ended up with a Ripmo, which seems to be the do it all, dad-bike du jour.

Other bikes I considered: The

Stumpy Evo - I liked the idea of the adjustability for occasional bike park/more downhill focused days, but who knows if I'd actually have changed things. I'm not really a big settings tinkerer once I get things dialed in initially.
    Propain Tyee - seemed one step more enduro than the Ripmo, but supposedly still very supportive pedaling. I'd probably want slightly smaller if I was still in the northeast, so maybe the Hugene.
    Canyon Spectral
    Fezzari La Sal Peak (Probably the Delano Peak if in the NE)

Really, I'd think about how much park I planned to ride. When I lived in Western Mass, I always thought my ideal bike would be in the Ripley/Tallboy/Stumpjumper (not Evo)/Orbea Occam range. The Ripmo would probably be a pretty decent compromise though.

I didn't find the Bronson to corner poorly, but I was on the right size, so maybe that was the issue.

I’m really impressed with revel rail. Rides like a trail bike with big travel. Ibis ripely and ripmo are popular here. Also yeti sb 130

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Based on your reach preference, you're in a medium for most modern bikes. You're probably also of average (5'8" - 9") height, so you will probably appreciate a mullet setup more than taller guys, especially if you're coming from a 5010. Not to say you can't ride a 29, but I'm guessing you'll feel more at home on it.

I'm currently on a Megatrail mullet (160 front, 155 rear), and really like it, especially with a coil shock. The geo is pretty similar to a SJ Evo, FWIW. It's great as an all-around bike, although quite heavy. Mine is around 35 lbs. Even so, it's a very efficient pedaler and I never bother with the climb switch. I've taken it to Northstar bike park a few times, and it's perfectly fine on the flow / jump trails, and can get down like the single black DH trails but you'll feel it. The double black DH trails just beat you up too much for it to be fun to ride on that much travel. So if you care about weight, other brands will work better (SJ Evo, Bronson, Ibis, hell even Transition Patrol). I have friends who really like their Bronson MXs. I previously ran the GG as a Smash, and it felt like more of a long travel trail bike than enduro rig. Before that, I had a gen1 Sentinel, and that was faster than my Smash. I still have some PRs that are on the Sentinel instead of the Megatrail, but not many since that was a couple years ago. The old Sentinel was less progressive, but a little more moderate geometry. The main reason I sold it was the goofy kinematics of that generation. All the newer Transitions look to have that sorted out. Transition bikes aren't light, but they're lighter than GG. Besides being heavy, the GG has some quirks, but it a freaking tank and definitely the most durable of all the bikes I've named.

One bit of speculation: I'd bet money that Ibis releases an updated Mojo HD6 in the spring, set up as a mullet and with progressive kinematics. That should make for a nice, light, super efficient comp to the Bronson MX / Megatrail MX / Patrol. Their geometry tends to be a bit more middle of the road, so it shouldn't be as extreme as the Patrol.

Having spent a season in Boston on my Sentinel I can’t recommend it for that terrain. It is perfect here in the Pnw but the bottom bracket is just too low for New England and the slack head angle was overkill. I would err for something a bit more conservative geometry wise with a higher bottom bracket. The revels look awesome for this.

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    quick insight on the Stumpy EVO, it is not an enduro bike.
    The whole Enduro, trail, downcountry categories are so tiresome. If you're pro, sure. Everyone else, forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    The whole Enduro, trail, downcountry categories are so tiresome. If you're pro, sure. Everyone else, forget it.
    tiresome? pro? i no longer race so i guess...forget it.

i wouldn't race an EVO, nor would it be my choice if i was spinning lifts with an regularity. it's a sweet mountainbike and weighs less than my hardtail which i ride with more regularity.
    bumps are for poor people

For VT, I don't think you'd find something as fun as any bike with 120-130mm rear travel and aggressive head angle. Ripley, Transition Scout, Yeti SB130, Revel as mentioned above.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I could be happy with my 120/140 Element there.

oh yeah, I think my 140 forked Ripley would just be a blast at the kingdom!
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Looking for a new whip... 2023 ride advice sought ; what bike

If you’re around KT this month I’ve got a MD Revel Ranger with me you can check out, pretty fun bike for the riding here. Going to put a 130 fork on it this week.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    oh yeah, I think my 140 forked Ripley would just be a blast at the kingdom!
    Kingdom does nt really ride like the rest of the Vermont.....

Darling hill is way less steeper and more mellow.

Burke is way steeper and chunkier, the non machine built stuff at least.

After waiting for 15+ months on a Sentinel I tried to ordered I caved and bought Ripmo AF (was unsure on carbon because I wasnt sure if I would like it).

I like the ripmo how it just erases chunk especially while climbing, it was kinda of pain to get the DVO suspension to be supportive and still be supple in small bumps. Its good bike but I demoed a Medium Sentinal and I think I would have been happier on that. The Sentinel has 10mm shorter reach and slacker head tube angle and steeper seat tube and its geo is basically identical to my Canfield Nimble 9. The Sentinel to me feels better on the downs I like to do, better at steep(but has to be smooth climbs), easier to manuver with its shorter(450mm ) reach, and felt better on rolling terrain, but with the slack HTA felt great on steeps as well. It weird that 1 cm is making difference but I am not tall and it really noticeable on flatter rolling terrain more so than go up to go down type stuff.

I did a 18 mile ride at Kingdom the other day and I really hated how shit the ripmo felt on hardpacked flat trails, I do not notice how stretched out I am when climbing to go down but on rolling modern built trails it was meh at least for me. I vastly prefer steeper natural trails like the Cady Falls, Calias, Waterwork and some of the unmarked stuff around stowe. I am likely to try get a Sentinel Carbon after winter.