Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Maybe wait and see what Transition is cooking up...if you like pink, I mean.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Maybe wait and see what Transition is cooking up...if you like pink, I mean.
    Dont care aobut the color. what are they coming out with?

What's your terrain like?

When I've ridden in Mass and NH it's slower, rooty, chunky terrain but flatter and fairly turny. When I rode my Epic Evo, I didn't feel like the 117mm single pivot was the right choice for speed in that type of terrain, but it does great here in CO with our higher speeds and one-off bigger hits. Seems like 120 to 140 of good rear suspension would be great for that.

If you're higher speed, steeper, chunkier than I think rear travel could be in the 150 range. I'm not sure the balance between slacker for confidence on steeper chunk vs. steeper for better general handling.

Seems like shorter to moderate chain stay would be beneficial. Something in the 430 to 435 range?

I'd think that a moderate geometry bike with a great rear suspension design would do best - the Revel stuff really seems like it would make sense.

Right now I have both a Switchblade and a Stumpy Evo. I'd choose the Switchblade hands down over the Evo for East Coast riding. It's poppier, turns better at moderate speed and is a bit smoother over smaller chunk (roots, small rocks), but has less mid-stroke support.

I'll be selling the SB soon - it'll be built with basically all new parts - potential for a Cascade Link and /or Fox Float X or X2 instead of the stock DPX. Works angleset to slacken it to 65 deg. Probably give you a pretty solid deal on it if you're interested.
    Last edited by XtrPickels; 10-19-2022 at 09:24 AM.

With bike supply heading back to normal, it’s become possible again to demo a bike if you put a little effort into finding out what brands are bringing their van to your general area. Until you get some time on some modern benchmark bikes, it can be hard to zero in on your needs. E.G. look at Bushwhacka’s post.

DemoWorx tours around with a variety of lesser known brands. The consumer direct brands do a pretty good job of making demo bikes available too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    Kingdom does nt really ride like the rest of the Vermont.....

Darling hill is way less steeper and more mellow.

Burke is way steeper and chunkier, the non machine built stuff at least.

After waiting for 15+ months on a Sentinel I tried to ordered I caved and bought Ripmo AF (was unsure on carbon because I wasnt sure if I would like it).

I like the ripmo how it just erases chunk especially while climbing, it was kinda of pain to get the DVO suspension to be supportive and still be supple in small bumps. Its good bike but I demoed a Medium Sentinal and I think I would have been happier on that. The Sentinel has 10mm shorter reach and slacker head tube angle and steeper seat tube and its geo is basically identical to my Canfield Nimble 9. The Sentinel to me feels better on the downs I like to do, better at steep(but has to be smooth climbs), easier to manuver with its shorter(450mm ) reach, and felt better on rolling terrain, but with the slack HTA felt great on steeps as well. It weird that 1 cm is making difference but I am not tall and it really noticeable on flatter rolling terrain more so than go up to go down type stuff.

I did a 18 mile ride at Kingdom the other day and I really hated how shit the ripmo felt on hardpacked flat trails, I do not notice how stretched out I am when climbing to go down but on rolling modern built trails it was meh at least for me. I vastly prefer steeper natural trails like the Cady Falls, Calias, Waterwork and some of the unmarked stuff around stowe. I am likely to try get a Sentinel Carbon after winter.
    Were you on the medium Ripmo as well? I just got an XL. The Sentinel had been on my list too. I didn't have the same impression as you with regard to relative sizing, but I think that's partially because of differences across the range. In an XL, the Sentinel actually has a longer reach (though trivially), and the seat tube angle is also just a tiny bit closer (though again somewhat trivially). The effective top tube is slightly longer, but the wheelbase is notably shorter due to the steeper head angle. basically 2x the difference of the size M bikes.

I also don't ride many extended flats, though, so I could also just be not noticing.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    What's your terrain like?

When I've ridden in Mass and NH it's slower, rooty, chunky terrain but flatter and fairly turny. When I rode my Epic Evo, I didn't feel like the 117mm single pivot was the right choice for speed in that type of terrain, but it does great here in CO with our higher speeds and one-off bigger hits. Seems like 120 to 140 of good rear suspension would be great for that.

If you're higher speed, steeper, chunkier than I think rear travel could be in the 150 range. I'm not sure the balance between slacker for confidence on steeper chunk vs. steeper for better general handling.
    I feel as though we have super chunky, turny stuff that then opens up for a tenth of a mile & then back to tight / turny. Having 130/140 travel made me feel under biked for most rides. Now that said, KT I felt could be run on a HT or even a CX rig with no issues 99% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    I feel as though we have super chunky, turny stuff that then opens up for a tenth of a mile & then back to tight / turny. Having 130/140 travel made me feel under biked for most rides. Now that said, KT I felt could be run on a HT or even a CX rig with no issues 99% of the time.
    Increasing from 27.5" to 29" probably equals ~10mm in travel.

So that would be like Riding a 120/130 29er.

Wheel size is more apparent on chunky, suspension more apparent on the bigger hits.

Differences in riding between a stumpy EVO and standard stumpy?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Were you on the medium Ripmo as well? I just got an XL. The Sentinel had been on my list too. I didn't have the same impression as you with regard to relative sizing, but I think that's partially because of differences across the range. In an XL, the Sentinel actually has a longer reach (though trivially), and the seat tube angle is also just a tiny bit closer (though again somewhat trivially). The effective top tube is slightly longer, but the wheelbase is notably shorter due to the steeper head angle. basically 2x the difference of the size M bikes.

I also don't ride many extended flats, though, so I could also just be not noticing.
    I own a M Ripmo AF, M Canfield Nimble 9 and I demoed a M Sentinel during the pandemic(friends bike) and redemoed a shop bike after I got my Ripmo just to confirm what I was feeling. The Sentinel manages to feel both easier to manuver yet more stable than the Ripmo, albeit the rear suspension is poppy over plush(but more plush in lots of little hits). IE the Ripmo rear suspension sinks in and plows and Sentinel prefers to pumped and jumped over stuff which feel more natural after riding the Canfield for 2 years.

I want to make a point that I am very picky and the Ripmo even in AF form is a great bike, just maybe not great for me. I try to avoid extended flats these day but they can be fun if at least some twisty on my Single Speed Canfield. I will say my typically riding in Vermont is WAY steeper than the sanctioned trails in Vermont. I am starting to loathe the insistence on building all two way trail with grade reversal and decreasing radius turns all the time. Give me moderate climbs to steep downs all day long IMO directional as well.

I vote that iripsnow get either Revel Ranger or Giant Trance X, he should not go to small in travel because his Honzo is basically a short travel trail bike..... heck there is very few trails I can not do on my Nimble 9, I just maybe not send weird drops to root and ride some chunk a little slower.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Differences in riding between a stumpy EVO and standard stumpy?

pretty big.

Evo feels planted, and heavy, even sluggish. Evo is like short travel but almost more charger enduro bike. Felt too planted in Cady hill in stowe, but maybe some shock tuning would change it for me. Florence(a jumpy flow trail) felt dead to me.

Normal one is really fast, pumpable, but can be harsh. Geo felt great around Cady Hill in stowe. standard really feels like a long travel XC capable XC bike.

For most of Park City trail riding unless you are doing big jump lines and even then a more skilled rider would be fine the standard Stumpy will be more fun. Former Utahn who miss that endless flow of PC.

Looking for a new whip... 2023 ride advice sought ; what bike

The new, gen 6 Trek Fuel EX’s look wicked sick, 140/150 now. The Wheel House in tax-free Claremont NH, might have demos. Used to be Claremont Cycle Depot, same great guys, new name.
    This one looks so fresh

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...gen-6/p/36355/
    crab in my shoe mouth

Outside the box suggestion:

Canfield Tilt.

Can be set up 120 or 140 rear, with a 140 or 150 front. Mine's at 140r/150fr. Great snappy bike with great but not super radical geo. Roomy but not super stretched out, steep seat tube, mega short chainstays, moderate BB height. Super poppy and nimble and also pretty stable at speed. Best cornering bike I've been on in years. Only con is it builds up on the heavy side.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I think the trick is that longer travel rigs do really well on super chunky terrain. They eat that stuff up. But they need a little speed to feel like they're working right, and if the trail is super twisty, it's hard to carry much speed regardless of how well the suspension is working. Something with a bit of travel (140-150-ish), but a slightly steeper head angle (65 - 65.5ish) and slightly shorter wheelbase might be the ticket.

So yeah, agreed with Buttah - the new Trek Fuel EX might be a good bet. Among other things, it has a bit more adjustability in the geometry than most other bikes so you can experiment with what works for you. They also offer 7 sizes (whereas most companies are offering 4 or 5), so you shouldn't have any problem getting one that fits.

Propain Hugene is another one that's not quite as slacked out as some of the other bikes in that category.

I have a used dentist-build Ripmo coming up for sale soon. Size Large.
    Ahm jus sayin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Dont care aobut the color. what are they coming out with?
    '23 Smuggler.
    https://www.mtbr.com/threads/2023-smuggler.1209135/

sick, but Id probably still get a Sentinel. Local trails IMO warrant for my limited skills.

sick, but Id probably still get a Sentinel. Local trails IMO warrant for my limited skills.
    I could see that, but also: the old one was pretty capable...if the new one is up-sized, it might be worth a look.

That bike is going to be fun as hell. The geo of the old one was great but the suspension wasn't progressive enough so you hit bottom constantly. The new kinematics they use are a lot better.

The old smuggler was maybe my favorite "do everything pretty well" bike of that era. Hopefully the new one is similarly awesome.

Just to echo what’s been said—I think you’d like a revel rascal for Vermont riding. Mine was great, climbed super well. I sold it to get something with more stack and more progressive geo after riding a stumpy evo and feeling like it fit really well. But my last rides in the MRV on the rascal were a ton of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Viable options to look at:
    Rocky Mtn. Instinct
    Trek Fuel EX
    Specialized Stumpjumper / Stumpy Evo
    Transition Sentinel
    Propain Hugene
    Canyon Spectral
    Commencal Meta TR
    Ibis Ripmo
    Norco Sight

That's certainly a non-exhaustive list. And I didn't include Yeti, Santa Cruz, or Pivot because those are all tipped pretty heavily towards dentists these days.
    This is a pretty good list, although Rocky Mountain has approached Dentist statis with their pricing.

Do you have a shop locally you like? What do they sell? There are deals to be made on in-stock bikes right now...

140/150 bikes pedal so well these days I think I would have a hard time going smaller if I only had one bike.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

^ my locals have gone full dentist. They are great, but not what I seek.

What say us of Guerilla Gravity? More my vibe.

^ my locals have gone full dentist. They are great, but not what I seek.

What say us of Guerilla Gravity? More my vibe.
    I've been riding one for 2 years now, tried Smash (~6 months), Gnarvana (~3 months), and Megatrail (1+ yr) configurations. What specifically are you looking for feedback on? I have many thoughts on the bike, and don't want to write an essay if not necessary. Also, Blister has reviews of a few of the GG models (I think Trail Pistol, Gnarvana, and Smash).

They are great value bikes with solid geometry and kinematics that are durable AF, can be built in many different ways, but have some quirks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I've been riding one for 2 years now, tried Smash (~6 months), Gnarvana (~3 months), and Megatrail (1+ yr) configurations. What specifically are you looking for feedback on? I have many thoughts on the bike, and don't want to write an essay if not necessary. Also, Blister has reviews of a few of the GG models (I think Trail Pistol, Gnarvana, and Smash).

They are great value bikes with solid geometry and kinematics that are durable AF, can be built in many different ways, but have some quirks.
    Lemme have it on the Gnarvana vs Smash, want a durable ride that has lower fussiness factor. I'm no KOM - just want a solid rig that descends lil better than climbs.

pretty big.

Evo feels planted, and heavy, even sluggish. Evo is like short travel but almost more charger enduro bike. Felt too planted in Cady hill in stowe, but maybe some shock tuning would change it for me. Florence(a jumpy flow trail) felt dead to me.

Normal one is really fast, pumpable, but can be harsh. Geo felt great around Cady Hill in stowe. standard really feels like a long travel XC capable XC bike.

For most of Park City trail riding unless you are doing big jump lines and even then a more skilled rider would be fine the standard Stumpy will be more fun. Former Utahn who miss that endless flow of PC.
    Pulled the trigger on a new stump jumper carbon frame set, S3 i the gold/bronze color. 2k. Seemed a good deal. Now shopping for forks

I rip the groomed on tele gear