Page 95 of 135 FirstFirst ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 3371
    I made a suggestion to the Town Council to have a differential fee structure based on the size of the proposed structure. e.g. $10 per square foot for structures up to 1000 sq.ft., $25 for 2,000 sq.ft., $120 for 3,000 sq.ft. and so on. The big jumps were intentional, but then again there's so much money floating around that folks might be incented to go over a limit just for bragging (and/or whining) rights. The same concept could be applied to lot sizes too. Nothing came of it

Note that lot sizes may need to be larger up here for snow storage and septic perc-ing

I tried, I got flamed, and now I try again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Actual Poster.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	245.3 KB 
ID:	453522

At this point I'm guessing that it either got stolen to be setup elsewhere for STR income, or maybe just some desperate local needed a place with cheap rent.

Either way, leads appreciated... shit talking not so much.

For those of you who are interested, the public comment period for the TRPA's Regional Trails Strategy ends March 31. The Tahoe Backcountry Alliance is advocating for improved winter trailheads and parking at 3 popular touring areas that currently overlap with residential neighborhoods. I can't help but think any improvement at these 3 locations would be an upgrade compared to the current situation. I received an email from the TBA asking us to submit comments. I've copied and pasted their email below if you'd like to submit a comment.

"At the beginning of March the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency (TRPA) released the region’s first ever Regional Trails Strategy which is their multi-year effort to craft a holistic trail network in the Tahoe Basin. Tahoe Backcountry Alliance was fortunate enough to be one of the participants in the drafting of this trails strategy and we want our members to have their voices heard as well.

The TRPA wants to hear your recommendations for what the Tahoe Basin trails network should look like. While the trails strategy is focused on summer usage there are many potential wins for the winter recreation community. Improvements to the trailhead at High Meadow/Trimmer Peak and proposed new trailheads at Gunmount and Rubicon Peak would go a long way towards improving access to three popular Tahoe winter backcountry trailheads.

Please submit a public comment of support to: tahoetrailsplan@trpa.gov by March 31st and feel free to use one of the templates below (or create your own).

I support the High Meadow trailheads improvements that include a new parking area behind the USFS gate. The High Meadow area sees a high volume and a wide variety of winter recreation users but lack of a viable parking lot makes accessing these public lands tricky. Winter access could be easily achieved by partnering with local non-profits such as Tahoe Backcountry Alliance.

Rubicon Peak is one the North Shore backcountry community’s most popular backcountry ski destinations. The existing parking in the Rubicon Point neighborhood is extremely limited and often results in conflict with residents. I support all efforts to find a new trailhead to access Rubicon Peak. Congestion in the neighborhood will be reduced, trail accessibility will be better and summertime users will benefit as well.

The Gunmount trailhead is a popular winter trailhead for Flagpole Peak and is also heavily used in the summertime by hikers, climbers and mountain bikers. The only current access for this popular location is via neighborhood streets and is inadequate. Creating a new trailhead at the south end of the Gunmount trail network would mitigate neighborhood traffic and improve year-round access to the heavily used, year round recreation destination.

To continue to support TBA’s efforts, please considering becoming a member here. If you’re already a member, you can make a direct donation here or via the PayPal QR code below...

Thank you! Sincerely, all of us at TBA."

Several tracks down twin peaks that I noticed yesterday. Prob put down on Sat or Sun, but kind of sketched me out thinking about them w all the slide action on slopes in little AK

Name:	IMG_8634.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	453523

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The area can easily hold more people; it cannot hold more cars,
    I couldn't imagine living in an area like Tahoe, or any resort community in America, without a car. Even in places like Seattle and Oakland, where it is possible to get around without a car, car ownership is over 80%. So if you are building more housing in Truckee for more people, you are going to bring in more cars whether you want to or not.

Name:  Screenshot (21).png
Views: 1134
Size:  376.7 KB

^^ I started to write a post similar to this, it took me a while, I got distracted and just said F-it.

Reality is, in suburban or rural US, people = cars, unless you're in a metropolis with extensive public transport.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I couldn't imagine living in an area like Tahoe, or any resort community in America, without a car. Even in places like Seattle and Oakland, where it is possible to get around without a car, car ownership is over 80%. So if you are building more housing in Truckee for more people, you are going to bring in more cars whether you want to or not.

Name:  Screenshot (21).png
Views: 1134
Size:  376.7 KB

Obviously the vast majority of people are going to own a car. That doesn’t mean they need to use the car for every outing.

If people had the option of taking their car and sitting in traffic on 89 for 2 hours to get to Pallisades, or taking a bus that had it’s own priority lanes that could get you there in 20 minutes, I have to believe some people are taking the bus.

Definitely. If a bus or something other could be jumped into that would get you there 20 mins vs 1hr + a parking nightmare, I’d take it for sure.

Actually, I use to when Alpine actually had a bus network of sorts that I flagged down near my house and get dropped at Sherwood. That was the best

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Definitely. If a bus or something other could be jumped into that would get you there 20 mins vs 1hr + a parking nightmare, I’d take it for sure.

Actually, I use to when Alpine actually had a bus network of sorts that I flagged down near my house and get dropped at Sherwood. That was the best
    I used to take the Sherwood shuttle from sunnyside, it was the best.

TAHOE 22/23 -THE YEAR OF THE (t)RAM

I was a little bit shocked they weren’t required or wanted to continue with it to help w the parking situation. They had buses going as far as incline back in the day iirc. I guess the gondola solved all that

They don't even run a shuttle from Alpine to pick people up from where the (crappy) current buses do drop you. You have to go to Palisades and then take the gondola or another shuttle to get to Alpine. Palisades does almost nothing to encourage people to ride TART.

I vote for a modernized train system, a la Alps design. Get a line that goes from Truckee - P valley - Tahoe City, and another one that loops around the lake with some stops at popular trailheads

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Obviously the vast majority of people are going to own a car. That doesn’t mean they need to use the car for every outing.

If people had the option of taking their car and sitting in traffic on 89 for 2 hours to get to Pallisades, or taking a bus that had it’s own priority lanes that could get you there in 20 minutes, I have to believe some people are taking the bus.
    Exactly. And a lot of bus users will still be using park and ride lots. However. if there were a good bus system that focused n multifamily workforce housing locations some yunger workers would forego cars altogether. After all, unlike old farts like me and Altasnob they have a future to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by truckeelocal View Post
    I made a suggestion to the Town Council to have a differential fee structure based on the size of the proposed structure. e.g. $10 per square foot for structures up to 1000 sq.ft., $25 for 2,000 sq.ft., $120 for 3,000 sq.ft. and so on. The big jumps were intentional, but then again there's so much money floating around that folks might be incented to go over a limit just for bragging (and/or whining) rights. The same concept could be applied to lot sizes too. Nothing came of it

Note that lot sizes may need to be larger up here for snow storage and septic perc-ing
    Good idea on the fees. I know one issue, which I think has been corrected is that Truckee was charging permit fees per unit for development parcels, which encouraged a few big houses, rather than an overall fee based on the size of the parcel, which would encourage lots of smaller houses. I think the rate structure is now the latter, but I could be wrong.

I'm not aware of many people in Truckee being on septic. Correct me if I'm wrong. Roofs can be mandated to be non shedding--that's the kind of roof most new houses I see. We had to agree to a recorded deed restriction for a non sliding roof for a permit we pulled. There still needs to be storage for parking pads and driveways. If that limits the size of house that can be built on a small lot, so be it.

Name:	C8D3497B-7EE2-4A0A-B6E5-7006C5666BEF.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	580.8 KB 
ID:	453562

It's been a 'triple dip'. So sexy.

Storm skiing was fun today if you knew were to look on the OV side. Looking forward to tomorrow, woot.

Name:	All Photos - 1 of 1.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	600.8 KB 
ID:	453564

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Storm skiing was fun today if you knew were to look on the OV side. Looking forward to tomorrow, woot.

Name:	All Photos - 1 of 1.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	600.8 KB 
ID:	453564
    Glad you got some ! As much as I had the same plan for today, I just could not
    Manage to get my ass outta the house. Game on tomorrow, hopefully !

Not much stoke to add as I've either been solo or its been storming too hard to take out the phone to grab a picture. Name:  IMG_3091.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  52.6 KB
    So here is some roof "stoke" from the 4th time up there in March - but it just keeps re-filling.
    Name:  IMG_3100.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  48.0 KB
    And, here is a picture of a lost snowboarder I came across last Saturday after going off the east side of Lincoln. I found him post-holing with no gear about 4:00 p.m., and directed him towards Roller Pass. Although tired, he remained in good spirits. I offered him some chocolates and stuck with him to make sure he made it back to the area.

At least you don't need a ladder to get up there.

Name:	IMG_2070.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	453585

The past week or so has been more fun than the psycho deep cycles earlier in the month

Quote Originally Posted by spnce View Post

Name:	IMG_2070.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	453585

The past week or so has been more fun than the psycho deep cycles earlier in the month
    Couldn't agree more.
    Still waiting...

Went outside and did a little shoveling... very high quality snow on top right now. Might only last for the dawn patrollers...
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Just walked dog during dumpage and the foot plus on the street felt pretty fluffy on top

Alpine for me Manana. Pending openings

Quote Originally Posted by spnce View Post

So many really great days this season but this last week is the one I’d like to relive if I could go back in time, so fucking good!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm not aware of many people in Truckee being on septic. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not aware of many people in Truckee being on septic. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    We’re on septic in the Prosser Heights area. I understand and support the efforts to provide more housing for people who live and work in Truckee and the surrounding area. Reading the General Plan the town just passed, I see a lot of good ideas for building more density near resources while striving to maintain Truckee’s character and access to the outdoors. We are one of those “second home” owners, albeit in a rural-zoned area, hoping to retire in Truckee or at least spend a great deal of our time there. If we pay some (reasonable) fees to help the town stay healthy and grow responsibly in the mean time, so be it.