Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 3371
    Sooo, is this BS or real?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1675287126.022867.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	445553

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My point about evacuations is that adding bus-only lanes would add more travel lanes on the highways for people to use if there needs to be an evacuation.

Quote Originally Posted by truckeelocal View Post
    In any event question what will get YOU, rather than some other conceptual person, out of your car !
    Bingo! Almost everyone pushing for more public transportation would never actually use it. Could you even picture a county supervisor or TRPA board member or ski area executive riding TART? That shit's for other people, to free up room on the road for my car.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Can't wait for more snow, so we can have more stoke. Here's a video from the backyard last year, day 42 of no snow.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Bingo! Almost everyone pushing for more public transportation would never actually use it. Could you even picture a county supervisor or TRPA board member or ski area executive riding TART? That shit's for other people, to free up room on the road for my car.
    Yeah, I can picture it. It's simple. The solution is just -no cars- a la Zermatt, it only needs to be during peak season at this point. If you are rich enough you can walk your ass down from your house to the bus stop to ski (or fly your helicopter). Charge daily for trips into the valley if you are not a resident and for residents charge yearly. Oh your coming from Reno? Take the bus. Oh the bay area? take the train then a bus. Southlake? Bus. Oh sierraville? Bus from truckee. Oh Truckee does not want to be a parking lot? Alterra can buy vacant land and have dispersed parking across the region. Oh they don't want to do that? K we're charging surge prices (lift ticket x3) on OV road untill you can fix the traffic problem. We need a bold long term solution, not oh only the poor's will use it so let's not. Bus not bold enough? Mono rail along main corridors once the park and ride situation is halfway figured out. Can be paid for with the toll money.

Bus parking only at the village. Boom traffic problem solved. Get on the bus plebe no one is anymore than one human.

/Endrant

Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk

TART had a bus leaving the Truckee High School parking lot every 30 minutes on weekends last year. What happened to that? When the conditions are average I'd love to leave for skiing late morning and not worry about the traffic shitshow or parking.

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    It is also interesting cars seem to catch fire all the time on the Galena bridge. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    Bus parking only at the village. Boom traffic problem solved. Get on the bus plebe no one is anymore than one human.
    That's it. I'll get out of my car when something else is more convenient. It's mine, it stores my stuff, and it comes and goes when and where I please. I can't imagine anything better, so if you want to get me out you'll have to make it worse. No parking / bus only would do it. A 5 minute gondola that avoids an hour of traffic and picks up 100 feet from my door, that works too, but I don't think it's technically possible. Until Scotty can teleport me, the car will be the best transport.

Hmm... if I had a season ski locker to store ski gear and some clothes, I might ride an express bus. Though that bus would need to be damn convenient and run often. E.g. the college buses came every 3-5 minutes in the morning for a 15 minute trip. I'd take my bike unless it was pouring rain (10 minute trip, leaves immediately). Students live in relatively dense apartments, that doesn't match much Tahoe development. Uni also made cars inconvenient as parking was far from classrooms, though plenty of students still preferred the car. Cars rule!

TAHOE 22/23 -THE YEAR OF THE (t)RAM

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    . Cars rule!
    What you're seeing weekends and holiday week in Tahoe is well past the inflection point towards diminishing returns. Cars and roads suffer in surge situations and the only answer is denser forms of mobility. That said, it needs to be damn convenient to outweigh all the wonderful things about your own car. I'm loving my new position only 15 minutes from Alpine and still have to make sure I leave before 745 on weekends or else it takes twice as long. After 930, traffic eases up but there's no parking. So everyone trying to be the same place at once is the problem. Either reduce the number of visitors or pack them in tighter. If I could hop on a shuttle at Safeway that came every half hour even (every 15 even better) and drive its own dedicated lane to Alpine in 20 minutes, I'd love to go bang out a couple hours and come home without burning my own gas. The bus has to be free tho. All local transit should be tho IMO. And no one wants to walk more than a block or two in ski boots or carrying skis so feeder systems necessary. If you've got kids, forget about it. I've used the bus in salt lake and winter park and Jackson and always enjoyed it but my buddy had to carry a huge pack all day with the kids' food and extra layers.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Energy View Post
    Can't wait for more snow, so we can have more stoke. Here's a video from the backyard last year, day 42 of no snow.
    We don't need more snow for stoke. But we do need more snow just because. i had a feeling this would be a good zone but still i almost turned around at the top when I was in the denser trees. Glad i didn't as it opened up nicely allowing the opportunity to try out the antiglop
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

There’s super fun pow out there in the right places

Monday

Name:	DD776016-AEF8-4845-B3E5-103B6D7EC71A.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	411.7 KB 
ID:	445620

Tuesday

Name:	971FC79F-63B8-49D7-B9A9-AE6A2E485DB5.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	531.0 KB 
ID:	445621

Wednesday

Name:	40E30A78-F159-4745-8041-04FD081D5447.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	450.3 KB 
ID:	445622

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    There’s super fun pow out there in the right places

Monday

Name:	DD776016-AEF8-4845-B3E5-103B6D7EC71A.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	411.7 KB 
ID:	445620

Tuesday

Name:	971FC79F-63B8-49D7-B9A9-AE6A2E485DB5.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	531.0 KB 
ID:	445621

Wednesday

Name:	40E30A78-F159-4745-8041-04FD081D5447.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	450.3 KB 
ID:	445622
    Thanks for that info. And thanks for getting after it.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    That said, it needs to be damn convenient to outweigh all the wonderful things about your own car.
    Yeah, it 100% requires a dedicated bus lane on 89 or don't even bother. I have a friend coming to town this weekend (with an IKON pass) and I told him we need to leave Tahoe Donner by 6:45 to get ahead of the shit show. He thought I was exaggerating and I asked if he'd rather spend 20 minutes in the car and then chill and play cards while drinking coffee, or sit in traffic for well over an hour. If we could go by bus an hour and a half later it would be a no-brainer.

Sunday / Monday looking promising.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Yes! 6 more weeks of winter. Phil saw his shadow 🤣

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/02/us/gr...phil-2023-trnd

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    The old alpine buses were great back in the day and I used them quite a bit. Especially when the one to sherwood was running. Ridiculous they cut the shuttle program in favor of the gondola
    The shuttle from the lot across from Sunnyside on the West Shore to Sherwood was the best back in the day. What happened to that program? Maybe I'll try and work out a parking deal with one of the homeowners in the neighborhood...

What happened to the Alpine Bus program? Any plans to restart it? Wonder if there is a market for private shuttles from the various neighborhoods. Could doo an early pickup, ski storage and coffee while you wait for the lifts to spin in the morning.

Tahoe Backcountry Alliance has a free South Lake shuttle available this weekend. The Truckee / North Lake shuttle is booked.

and, no, I’m not saying that a single shuttle for 3-6 peeps is going to solve these issues but it’s something if someone needs it
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

The same people who complain about Ikon selling too many passes are the people who would be complaining if Alterra sold less and they couldn't get one.
    The people complaining about the traffic are the people who are part of the traffc.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The people complaining about the traffic are the people who are part of the traffc.
    Any chance we can sticky this at the top of the thread so people stop repeating it?

Not true. I'm complaining about Ikon selling too many passes and I don't own one. There are lots of people that suffer from the traffic that aren't even in it (for instance stay home because they can't go anywhere). There are business that can't get business because noone can make it there. There are others that get crushed but their employees can't make it there. Palisades is a shitty neighborhood bully. No other way about it.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The same people who complain about Ikon selling too many passes are the people who would be complaining if Alterra sold less and they couldn't get one.
    Can we complain about Pallisades traffic if we’re getting stuck in it when not traveling to Pallisades?

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Not true. I'm complaining about Ikon selling too many passes and I don't own one. There are lots of people that suffer from the traffic that aren't even in it (for instance stay home because they can't go anywhere). There are business that can't get business because noone can make it there. There are others that get crushed but their employees can't make it there. Palisades is a shitty neighborhood bully. No other way about it.
    This^

Also: discussing solutions for traffic is not complaining about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Any chance we can sticky this at the top of the thread so people stop repeating it?
    We'll stop repeating it when people stop conplaining about how long it takes to get to the resorts.
    As far as those of us traveling to non-ski destintations at peak hours--we're still part of the problem, unless we adjust our schedule accordingly. I'm pushing for the Truckee Roundhouse at the airport to open at 10 instead of 8 on winter weekends.
    Right now any solution to the traffic is in the hands of the Placer County Supervisors. A quick glance at the map of BOS districts will demonstrate the problem.
    https://placer.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...6aeba833176963

The only solution I see is a long shot--legal action to force Placer and Nevada Counties and Truckee to address the traffic situation as a matter of public safety. Bitching about Palisades is not the answer. Nobody is forcing people to go there. They will not participate in a solution untl govt makes them. There are tons of good ideas in this forum about solutions; the problem is the lack of political will to implement them.

Quote Originally Posted by bread1erism View Post
    The shuttle from the lot across from Sunnyside on the West Shore to Sherwood was the best back in the day. What happened to that program? Maybe I'll try and work out a parking deal with one of the homeowners in the neighborhood...

What happened to the Alpine Bus program? Any plans to restart it? Wonder if there is a market for private shuttles from the various neighborhoods. Could doo an early pickup, ski storage and coffee while you wait for the lifts to spin in the morning.
    I have it on good authority that the County just approved the Sherwood shuttle and it'll be up and running in the next few weeks on Saturdays and Sundays.