Page 54 of 135 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 3371
    14 degrees and blowing hard at the lake.
    I'm sure there are aspects with enough windblown...somewhere. But most places are dust on ice crust until things start warming up again.

Adam is an old-school maggot from way back.
    Adam: I've skied with you a few times, back in the day.
    I'm sorry for you, and for all of Kyle's friends and family.
    I hope that, in time, you can find some peace and resolution.
    I hope I never have to go through what you just did.

An important quote from the story:
    Smaine and Ü, at the bottom, were transitioning their backcountry gear back into uphill mode. The first of the Austrian group joined them. The second Austrian skier triggered the slide. "We saw it coming," said Ü. "We heard the crack. We realized it is a big one. We started running and then we got hit." 
    I'm certainly not assigning any blame here...that rests on the Austrians who skied the aspect that triggered the slide. But we should all think about where we stop and transition. It's easy to think about "safe zones" on the way down, but once we're done with the run, it's easy to forget that slides run a long way, and that we have no control over the decisions others above us make.
    Last edited by Spats; 01-30-2023 at 07:08 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

"Adam is an old-school maggot from way back."

Yeah. Grant, too.

TAHOE 22/23 -THE YEAR OF THE (t)RAM

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Skied Saturday at SVUSA...from my perspective, the crowds weren't too much of an issue but I also stay Friday nights in the valley.
    You're glad you missed Saturday morning: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoDd8...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

For some reason, Mark thinks buses can't do much to help the traffic and parking issues. He may be right in so far as the real issue is that Alterra needs to direct some of the hordes from Tahoe to a different resort and ease the crush. https://unofficialalpine.com/?p=17563
    Last edited by lepistoir; 01-30-2023 at 05:51 PM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Or ny other Saturday morning. Those of us who live in the area have planned our lives around ski area traffic for years. Of course Alterra will say that their village is the solution--since it will wipe out most of the existing parking people skiing at Palisades will have to stay there, reducing traffic. As far as fire evacuation Palisades doesn't plan on it--the plan is to die in place.

It was a mess Saturday and Sunday. I left my place in Truckee at 7:21am on Saturday. I got to OV at 7:50am with my son (he has U16 training). We left 7:18am on Sunday (tad earlier due to the snow), got to OV around the same time. The return home on Saturday was fine, no traffic but the return home on Sunday from OV to Truckee took 1 hour and 15 minutes. Then it was another 40 minutes to get through roundabouts and chain control. First time I got stuck in the traffic this year....been able to avoid it all season long.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    You're glad you missed Saturday morning: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoDd8...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

For some reason, Mark thinks buses can't do much to help the traffic and parking issues. He may be right in so far as the real issue is that Alterra needs to direct some of the hordes from Tahoe to a different resort and ease the crush. https://unofficialalpine.com/?p=17563

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    I'm certainly not assigning any blame here...that rests on the Austrians who skied the aspect that triggered the slide. But we should all think about where we stop and transition. It's easy to think about "safe zones" on the way down, but once we're done with the run, it's easy to forget that slides run a long way, and that we have no control over the decisions others above us make.
    I posted this over in the slide zone thread, because it touches on the issue

from Grant's instagram
    Yesterday was my absolute worst nightmare scenario

It was supposed to be the last day of the trip so we where just out for a mellow tour to Freeski. As we had one of the best days ever skiing / shooting the day before.

We had dug a pit and then skied a line in the backcountry. I was exhausted from the last 10 days so after that run I skied down to the base lodge. Kyle and Adam chose to go back up and ski it again.

They were at the bottom with a member from another group a long way away from the base of the slope transitioning to skin out. In fact a Japanese party was doing beacon practices at that transition area the previous lap. Every one felt safe in the transition area A second skier from the other group triggered an avalanche that stepped down into a massive avalanche (2m deep crown) on an adjacent slope. The slope that they had now done two runs on didn’t slide.

Adam, Kyle and the other skier tried to run. Adam was buried 1.5 meters deep for 25 minutes and is unscathed. That is a miracle. The skier buried next to him died from internal injuries. Kyle was thrown 50 meters by the air blast and buried and killed.

Another group in the area consisting of two Canadian mountain guides and 4 or 5 emergency doctors / nurses etc as clients performed the rescue. The doctors did everything they could for Kyle and the other skier.

Adam and I will be rehashing this for the rest of our lives.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    --the plan is to die in place.
    TruthPost™️

Some lighthearted fun for the tahoe thread.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

thanks
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

GFS total snowfall looks to be growing for the late Saturday night to Monday storm:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1003.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	801.5 KB 
ID:	445473

Thanks Powdork.

Terrible news out of Japan. One of my worst nightmares.

That and Truckee traffic. Don't see how buses and a bus lane would not help. I assume that most of the skier visits to OV are from regional skiers, so don't really see how directing them to other regions would work. The Atherton types already fly each week to to their homes on the slops in Telluride. Honestly met two different families "from SF" while skiing there, When asked where they skied at home, they lately replied "we don't, the snow sucks, we juts fly here a few weekends a month." But for most of us lowly folks getting on a plane to ski is cost prohibitive. Although, I never bother heading to the north shore on a weekend after Christmas and before mid March - if I can help it.

If they had a bus with a dedicated lane it would be very popular and I’d use it all the time. Bus + sitting in the same traffic = hard pass.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    GFS total snowfall looks to be growing for the late Saturday night to Monday storm:
    GFS is bullish with >2" of PWATs, in contrast to Canadian bear showing .2" so will have to continue waiting for the verdict on that one.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Places where I've used buses to get to the slopes have been destination resorts with people staying in fairly dense villages (Chamonix, Whistler) and few people arriving from outside the area to ski for the day. A bus stop needs to be an easy walk from lodgiing. That would be tough when a lot of people come from Reno, Sac, Bay Area to ski for the day. Hard to figure where to park all those cars to catch the bus. There would need to be bus lanes where possible, maybe license plate reader surge priced tolls on 89, and service every 10-15 minutes. This is all doable but would require major effort and investment and I don't think Placer County cares if people sit in cars a long time to and from the slopes, as long as the money keeps rolling in. And they definitely don't care if Truckee locals are trapped in their homes on weekends.

All the models are now in line with wetter GFS including Euro and Canadian ❄️

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    GFS is bullish with >2" of PWATs, in contrast to Canadian bear showing .2" so will have to continue waiting for the verdict on that one.

Dedicated bus lanes sounds good to us. www.sbskibus.com

SB sent 12 buses on 1/21 from various locations out of the Bay Area. There was pent up demand with all the weekend weather keeping the buses from rolling. Our closer stores buses (SF & Walnut Creek) made it to the PTOV parking lot at 8:45ish. The Redwood City/Sunnyvale buses didn't make it till noon(+). Once the lot fills up every car talks to the CHP about what to do and gets sent down the valley. We had dedicated spots for the bus but still had to trudge threw the line to get there. Dedicated bus lanes sound amazing.

At least Silverado was Open...

Dedicated bus lanes would help if there is a need to quickly evacuate some part of the basin or the 89 corridor.

Evaluation of whether a project would impair of emergency evacuation plans is part of CEQA compliance. There’s opportunity to force developers, caltrans, and the counties to implement projects that result in less cars in the basin, bus-dedicated lanes, etc. by using CEQA as one of the tools to push for change.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Dedicated bus lanes would help if there is a need to quickly evacuate some part of the basin or the 89 corridor.
    No they won't. During an emergency it's every vehicle for itself. Road rules/markings do not apply. Hell during chain control backups emergency lanes become staging lanes for impatient visitors.
    And the mousehole is still there to restrict traffic flow to get out of The Basin to the North.
    Solutions ? Something that avoids existing traffic infrastructure. So inter-resort/town gondolas ? Ferry services on The Lake ? Walking/biking/x-country skiing ? Snow cats along Sawtooth ? I'm spitballing here.
    Or hope that vehicle computer technology continues to improve to allow higher density of cars to go faster on existing infrastructure (there's already a very high density of cars going slowly at busy times without the need for technology).
    In any event question what will get YOU, rather than some other conceptual person, out of your car !
    Last edited by truckeelocal; 02-01-2023 at 11:36 AM.

I may just have missed it but don't remember seeing this posted here.

Sierra Watch has a Petition for the Placer County BoS concerning the proposed SquawlleyWorld development.
    Not sure it'll do a whole lotta good but still probably worth 60 sec of your time.

https://www.sierrawatch.org/tahoe-truckee-true/action/
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

A bus stop needs to be an easy walk from lodgiing. That would be tough when a lot of people come from Reno, Sac, Bay Area to ski for the day.
    Do they? I figured most people were in AirBnBs in Truckee/Tahoe City pretty close to either Brockway or 28 where a bus would make a ton of sense.

Tahoe Donner is STR central.
    Just send a big loaded bus up (and down) Northwoods all winter. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
    Do they? I figured most people were in AirBnBs in Truckee/Tahoe City pretty close to either Brockway or 28 where a bus would make a ton of sense.
    TART isn’t the most user friendly of transport locations. They built a bus stop in 64 acres instead of town ffs. Like people are gonna drive to get on a bus in Tahoe if they don’t have to. Every time I drive past that area it annoys me.

A dedicated bus lane on 89 would be really difficult to implement but would certainly help. Make it free. Placer and Alterra cañ pick up the tab for that. The old alpine buses were great back in the day and I used them quite a bit. Especially when the one to sherwood was running. Ridiculous they cut the shuttle program in favor of the gondola

Id like to see a condal built from TC on one end and Truckee on the other to the base of the mountain personally. That would have been way better use than base to base bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
    Obviously you've never seen the backup at 89S exit off EB 80 on weekends. And non holiday powder days.
    And the Reno folks don't usually stay up the hill.

As far as evacuations go--the plan is to direct direct on both sides of the roads out of the evacuation zone. Both sides of OV road would be EB. Both sides of 89 would be NB. Both side of I80 would be in the same directon--EB or WB depending on where the fire is. Whether that will get people out of OV fast enough--who knows. Probably not--which is why evacuations wlll be ordered well before it is clear that they or needed---like they did for the West Shore during Caldor.

But the plan as I said before is still shelter in place in OV. Maybe they'l give lemonade vouchers for the inconvenience of breathing smoke instead of air.

Places where I've used buses to get to the slopes have been destination resorts with people staying in fairly dense villages (Chamonix, Whistler) and few people arriving from outside the area to ski for the day.
    Salt Lake is good. Muni bus from downtown is fast and easy.