Page 60 of 135 FirstFirst ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 3371
    Astonishingly, CalTrans, Placer and Tahoe City joined forces to level the playing field with a southern "mousehole" in the form of a rotary - stoplight combination which has proven to have a similar potency in limiting the flow of traffic. Northbound 89 traffic not following CHP "zipper" merge advice combined with confused tourists and the stoplight has converted SR 28 into a parking lot as far out as Dollar Hill in recent weeks.

To be fair, the zone from Plumas Bank to the roundabout is foolish to have as two northbound lanes. All it does is cause confusion especially when there is no paint on the road at all
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

There is no way 89 is going to be widened to 4 lanes to accommodate cars. If anything is done--unlikely as long as Placer County is lead--it will be to accommodate a bus lane.

As far as the "idiocy" of not solving the traffci bottleneck at the time the pedestrian tunnel was made--Truckee worked on this issue for years before deciding on the current option. If widening the mousehole had been feasible under existing restraints--funds, railroad demands--it would have been done. The goal of the project was to allow pedestrains to pass under the tracks safely. Solving the traffic situation--involving the town, 2 counties, cal trans, and the rr--was far beyond the scope of the town's powers and resources.

Why not go OVER the tracks somewhere?

Build out on the ground on either side of the tracks can all be done with no interruptions to the RR, then drop the big prefab 6 lane bridge span in one day ;-)

Done.

Ok, please Tell me where to send the bill for my consultation fees ...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    As far as the "idiocy" of not solving the traffci bottleneck at the time the pedestrian tunnel was made--Truckee worked on this issue for years before deciding on the current option. If widening the mousehole had been feasible under existing restraints--funds, railroad demands--it would have been done. The goal of the project was to allow pedestrains to pass under the tracks safely. Solving the traffic situation--involving the town, 2 counties, cal trans, and the rr--was far beyond the scope of the town's powers and resources.
    Yeah, this is fair, I was being a little harsh. The City / Counties may not have the budget or sway to get that done on their own. Although I'm a little skeptical of the competency in Truckee after all of the nonsensical hearings about STR's, affordable housing, etc. when they basically just ignored the real solutions as many were trying to point out (like limiting the number of STR nights per year allowed). That political failure partially contributes to the traffic issues as well and now every weekend is a holiday weekend.

Oh well, little league season will be here soon enough.

I like PowDork's idea of a separate connected roadway.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I agree that the road needs to move not the RR
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I have worked as a planner for freight rail. They rule them all and have strong legal argument that they are exempt from everything. It can behoove them to be good neighbors, but there must be strong incentives.

unfortunately the infrastructure required to solve the traffic problem is not going to be easy - or pretty
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9299.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	446648

Lake run before work. Tasty,
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

TAHOE 22/23 -THE YEAR OF THE (t)RAM

Engineering-wise, there can be a means and method for building a wider spanning bridge under the tracks with no disruption of the use of the tracks. It’s mostly a matter of public/agency and rail owner motivation
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 02-07-2023 at 06:14 PM.

Fucking glad I don’t live in North lake

Skiing has been great BTW, my 3rd run yesterday

Just want to pop in and give my thanks to TahoeBC, gimpy, Powdork, GoSlow, clibereven TruckeeJoe and all those contributing snow stoke to this thread. It truly looks like an amazing season.

Would be hard to tell otherwise. It almost reads like a drought year thread. I know you guys can so better.

I dunno, Maybe I should be happy and avoid FOMO by pretending it is as dire as it seems. But then one of those actual stoke providers pops in, and demonstrates that it is actually all time out there. Well, at least I'm going out out now for a 70 mile road ride. So take that.

Seriously tho, can not believe how amazing this season looks. And I'll be landing back in the US just in time for everything but the peaks to be melted away.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yeah, this is fair, I was being a little harsh. The City / Counties may not have the budget or sway to get that done on their own. Although I'm a little skeptical of the competency in Truckee after all of the nonsensical hearings about STR's, affordable housing, etc. when they basically just ignored the real solutions as many were trying to point out (like limiting the number of STR nights per year allowed). That political failure partially contributes to the traffic issues as well and now every weekend is a holiday weekend.

Oh well, little league season will be here soon enough.

I like PowDork's idea of a separate connected roadway.
    I'm with you on the limitations on nights per year, but it is impressive that Truckee got anything done on STR's at all, given the very strong, organized resistance from the real estate community, and they capped the number of certificates at current, unlike Placer, which has consderable room for more.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Fucking glad I don’t live in North lake

Skiing has been great BTW
    No shit. Is this the "bitch about traffic and out-plan the uban planners" thread, or are we skiers? I guess if you live in Truckee, you're just pinned down by traffic and the slopes are impossible to access?

Today was pretty great, even though I had to constantly change aspect to avoid the Mank Monster. I still managed 6 great runs and only a few grabby turns. The snow is pretty wrecked from NNE-S-NNW, but N aspect will still be great tomorrow, especially above like 7500'.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I'm not much of a stop and take pictures guy, and am usually alone, so this is the best I can offer.Name:  20230207_113813.jpeg
Views: 886
Size:  73.0 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20230207_120359.jpeg 
Views:	111 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	446726
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Third very good day in a row. Silverado opened and it was kind.

A guy sent this...60' I'd say. Stomped the landing. Cool to see. Guy behind him frozen above drop for too long. Didn't see end result for him.

S@T also didn’t suck Monday morning.

Name:	Image1675835351.380173.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	446758

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    No shit. Is this the "bitch about traffic and out-plan the uban planners" thread, or are we skiers? I guess if you live in Truckee, you're just pinned down by traffic and the slopes are impossible to access?

Today was pretty great, even though I had to constantly change aspect to avoid the Mank Monster. I still managed 6 great runs and only a few grabby turns. The snow is pretty wrecked from NNE-S-NNW, but N aspect will still be great tomorrow, especially above like 7500'.
    not one question about bootfitters though, so there's that
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Where can I get some good adjustments on my ski boots while sitting in traffic? ;-)

Regarding the lack of photos, the snow the last few days has been too good to stop and take pics, especially when you're racing back to the lift line for more. Monday am was pure blower (in the shade at least).

For some stoke, here's Ryan Faye (he's dropped by this thread a few times in the past) with a Silverado nod to Shane: https://www.instagram.com/p/CoYHl0BjGkO/?hl=en
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I'll just continue my streak of missing every pow day...I like variable snow anyway. I should be up Sat night to ski Sunday...you know where to find me.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Where can I get some good adjustments on my ski boots while sitting in traffic? ;-)

Regarding the lack of photos, the snow the last few days has been too good to stop and take pics, especially when you're racing back to the lift line for more. Monday am was pure blower (in the shade at least).

For some stoke, here's Ryan Faye (he's dropped by this thread a few times in the past) with a Silverado nod to Shane: https://www.instagram.com/p/CoYHl0BjGkO/?hl=en
    Thanks for that. Assuming he was the one that send whatever line that is in my pic...huge.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I'll just continue my streak of missing every pow day...I like variable snow anyway. I should be up Sat night to ski Sunday...you know where to find me.
    This season has been particularly unkind to those of us on the Bay Area kidgnar schedule. All that midweek stoke, ripped to shreds by 190 mph ridgetop wind gusts by the time I get there for Saturday JETS dadski....and then it dumps again on Sundays, so I can choose to either bail a day early or listen to my kids complain that it's too cold and the snow is too deep and then drive home for 5 hours.
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

Name:	IMG_4592.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	341.0 KB 
ID:	446795

Summit opened around noon for us (thanks to the heavy lift chopper flying up for some AT&T infrastructure)

Snow was still holding in many places, including gunner's knob. Watch out for wet slide potential tho in the baked areas.

For some reason there was a literal air show at Olympic Valley yesterday. (Not the skiers hucking but the single engine planes buzzing high camp.)
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I'm right there with you. Missed every pow day this season. But, man, can I share with you how smooth the tarmac was on some parts of my ride yesterday? Like baby skin. Tho, not really. Mostly rough like an old mans chin.

Thank you gentlemen for posting up some stoke.

Stoke pics > snow talk > boot fitter questions > mouse hole improvements > general traffic bitching > complaining about the tourist whilst in a tourist town > nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post

Stoke pics > snow talk > boot fitter questions > mouse hole improvements > general traffic bitching > complaining about the tourist whilst in a tourist town > complaining about what's in the thread >pics of Old Goat skiing
    FIFY