Page 96 of 135 FirstFirst ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 3371
    A perfect South Face morning.

Heard on Scott chair--"I asked the guy in the tree well if he was okay. He didn't say anything but his head was out of the snow so I guess he was okay.

Wondering what my odds of making it up from the foothills are tomorrow with the current weather pattern. Prepared to leave at 4AM if I have to.

are you heading to south or north. 50 should definitely be open 80 who knows
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A perfect South Face morning.

Heard on Scott chair--"I asked the guy in the tree well if he was okay. He didn't say anything but his head was out of the snow so I guess he was okay.
    Really good ski day. Too bad I didn’t see any goats

that’s one good goat
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by AZskibum View Post
    Wondering what my odds of making it up from the foothills are tomorrow with the current weather pattern. Prepared to leave at 4AM if I have to.
    you could've gotten there today.

Still surprised Kirkwood got everything open today, dang must've been good. I'll be slopping up the leftovers tomorrow..

I expect everything to be open, probably including 88/Spur. Though 88's been really slow to open from the west after storms. Maybe they're having trouble with snow canyons, and clearing snow over 10+ foot walls. That'd be my guess though I haven't driven it this season. There's a pretty long stretch at 7-8000', and virtually no melting this year to help so it piles up. It also gets icy, so maybe Caltrans is ready and CHP says no. Drive tonight and park at the gate. You haven't lived until CHP wakes you at 6am to tell you whether the road opened. Nothing like a bluebird day, staring at KW's ridgeline with the sun coming yet unrisen behind it, and the spur... closed.

Is 89 around Emerald Bay ever going to be cleared and open, or are they waiting for it to melt?

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    At this point I'm guessing that it either got stolen to be setup elsewhere for STR income, or maybe just some desperate local needed a place with cheap rent.

Either way, leads appreciated... shit talking not so much.
    Oh no

It’s all shit talking. All the time.

Pretty sure I saw your tent on the off-ramp with your mom in it. She was only charging $50 which seemed fair.

16" skied really, really nice today at S@T, and it stayed cold enough and fairly overcast so tomorrow should be good too.

Also, Bro Models never die, they just need a new generation to pick them up. Mini DJSapp age 13 needed to step up from her 156cm daily drivers for her first pow day and grabbed Mrs. DJSapp's 179 softs out of cold storage. She gave them hell. Ate shit a few times, but she was full send until her legs were done.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rip.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	453701  
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by BiggC View Post
    Is 89 around Emerald Bay ever going to be cleared and open, or are they waiting for it to melt?
    As of last weekend it was plowed down to pavement with the exception of the massive berm where the road closure is. There is still road widening and some guardrail damage to repair but they have been working on it.

Also - The fingers were about as perfect as I've seen them this morning. Lap 1 had good viz and consistent snow, main air was as smooth as i've skied it this season.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 6.03.24 PM.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	395.8 KB 
ID:	453702
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    As of last weekend it was plowed down to pavement with the exception of the massive berm where the road closure is. There is still road widening and some guardrail damage to repair but they have been working on it.

Also - The fingers were about as perfect as I've seen them this morning. Lap 1 had good viz and consistent snow, main air was as smooth as i've skied it this season.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 6.03.24 PM.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	395.8 KB 
ID:	453702
    that looks really good I haven't seen it like that for many years.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

TAHOE 22/23 -THE YEAR OF THE (t)RAM

... The fingers were about as perfect as I've seen them this morning. Lap 1 had good viz and consistent snow, main air was as smooth as i've skied it this season.
    It was a pretty good show.

Hopefully this doesn't come out too blurry:

Still waiting...

Another vid from this morning...

@soul_skier, let me know if either of these has your send and you want the higher quality version.

I've got one more...
    Still waiting...

Awesome videos!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Now this thread is starting to feel like the old days. Fingers today. Hopefully the palisades vids tomorrow.
    Yes today's laps had a smooth and soft feel to them today. You could dip your turn to get deeper if you wanted or just open it up.

4 Time Balboa Open Champion

I wish. Had some loose ends to tie up in the Delta before taking a couple days. This year has us spinning with all the water.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    you could've gotten there today.

Still surprised Kirkwood got everything open today, dang must've been good. I'll be slopping up the leftovers tomorrow..

apparently heart chute is small but heinous (the drop in hasn't shrunk any though). volume on
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CqZZwXOgD7v/
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I remember in ‘96 (?) when heart chute was skiable all the way through with no air.

Wild.

That was a huge winter. And then it rained. So— I have a huge fear for the sierras right now. If a rain system comes… fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Exactly. People don't degrade the environment. Cars and sprawl do. There is only so much land close to town centers for housing. Places like Lahontan and Martis Camp are obscene. We should be severely limiting lot sizes--both to allow more housing without sprawl and facilitate mass transit, (The state has already banned single family detached housing only zoning.) And while we're at it, limit square footage. Go back to previously built developments that had workforce or low income housing mitigations that were never built and enforce the mitigations. Multifamily and other dense developments should be incentivized. The area can easily hold more people; it cannot hold more cars, and the ONLY transportation projects that should be done are mass transit. For any new single family housing limit tha allowed parking spots and ban overnight parking on the ROW. (Truckee has banned STR parking on the ROW and overnight parking along Donner Lake on the south side of DPR.)

Mogul may not be aware but the issue of new STR's is dead in Truckee (but not Placer), at least for now. The number of STR's is capped at current. The only exception will be offering new certificates to people willing to build workforce hosuing on another site. That program is not yet up and running.

As far as expanding ski resorts--mogul can bang the drum all he wants, it's not happening. Skiing is a dying sport (climate change, at least in CA) for rich people. Available land for skiing is almost all public and the public is not going to stand for expanding resorts or building new ones on our land. One thing the coverage of the Paltrow trial should tell us is how the genera public sees skiing.

As far as Nimbyism--if you go to Truckee council meetings or read the Sun and Moonshine Ink--there is virtually none of that. The ony example I can think of recenty is the objections of the old neighborhood to the Grocery Outlet, because of concerns re middle of the night deliveries. (I don't know if there was any mitigation for that like limiting hours for deliveries.) People here understand the need for workforce housing and what that means for density and height.
    Man, those small lots and high density are tough during snow years like this. Just nowhere to dump or blow snow. I do believe that Truckee has gone about it all wrong with affordable housing. The "Artist" Lofts are a tragic example.

Packing people into tight spaces will be great for the value of my 20 acres. Of course I plan on being buried here, so not sure it matters.

Goat, you really think skiing is a dying sport? I'm just not seeing that on the hill. In fact, I think I'm seeing a whole new demographic develop. Not to mention the explosion of back country travel/skiing. As for climate change, yeah, there's work to be done. That said, in just over a decade we've had 3 massive years. I don't think we're finished yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    Now this thread is starting to feel like the old days. Fingers today. Hopefully the palisades vids tomorrow.
    Yes today's laps had a smooth and soft feel to them today. You could dip your turn to get deeper if you wanted or just open it up.

Woot!!

The rollover into Northbowl was insane yesterday. I've never seen that much snow up there. No drop, just a roll in. We got first tracks down and 3 subsequent ridiculous laps. That was after first tracks into the Slot (also totally packed with snow) The cornice drop into Tower 16 was perfectly formed up and maybe 10' on the west side. So much fun. I think I can say it was my best powder day at Squallywood, ever. Timing just worked and the place was empty. It did feel like the old days.

I'd ski today, but damn, my knees need a rest. Day after powder day.... What an insane year.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    apparently heart chute is small but heinous (the drop in hasn't shrunk any though). volume on
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CqZZwXOgD7v/
    Where is that? Palisades?

The finger vids were classic.

I was living vicariously thru my kids as they sent me pics and vids yesterday...looked like too much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jahroy View Post
    Another vid from this morning...

@soul_skier, let me know if either of these has your send and you want the higher quality version.

I've got one more...
    I'm the skier going 'cross court' 15 seconds in, thanks for posting the vid! You know its a nose to fingers day when you are ~10th chair and have to be careful to not land in all the other bomb holes.

Also wild to see that the sun went away literally 30 seconds after I skied that line.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

I'm the skier going 'cross court' 15 seconds in, thanks for posting the vid! You know its a nose to fingers day when you are ~10th chair and have to be careful to not land in all the other bomb holes.

Also wild to see that the sun went away literally 30 seconds after I skied that line.
    Great line and stomp man!