Page 17 of 135 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    First day at Sierra today. Good vibe. Very small crowd. Great snow. Some areas off Grandview cannot open this year. Way too much debris and uncleared lumber Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69195504753__86F6733C-8C2E-4AF7-9641-655980FD4B05.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	932.4 KB 
ID:	436862

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Light skiing means ...... ??
    As in more like powder and less like Sierra cement.

Unless you were a dog, then it was light then cement then light again. Tough day for the pups.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Heavenly skied well today, really fun soft snow, they popped gunbarrel today. Was gonna hit Sierra but I still need to go by the pass office to get mine and didn’t feel like dealing with it, girlfriend did and said it was good.

Did get out out to ski westbowl after our first November storm to check it out, definitely looks different, was a dense wind packed pow that took some body english to ski, look forward to seeing it with more snow

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    . Spent the last half of the day in the storm on Shirley.
    Me too. That was a fun few hours after the drenching morning, with the wind refilling the top half of everything every run.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    First day at Sierra today. Good vibe. Very small crowd. Great snow. Some areas off Grandview cannot open this year. Way too much debris and uncleared lumber Click image for larger version. 

Wow that's Grandview!? Hardly recognize it. Sad to see all that old growth wiped out.

Still no Summit on the Alpine Schedule. Still very limited ops at Olympic. Something seems seriously fucked with Palisades mountain ops.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Still no Summit on the Alpine Schedule. Still very limited ops at Olympic. Something seems seriously fucked with Palisades mountain ops.
    No Slide side at Rose.
    No Backside at Northstar.
    No Stagecoach or Boulder access at Heavenly.
    Lotsa lazy mtn ops, hardly unique to just Squalpine.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post

It’s early, no? And lumber is milled timber. I doubt there’s lumber on the ground

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Lumber? Never met her!
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Lumber?
    Name:  Lumbergh.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  73.8 KB
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

TAHOE 22/23 -THE YEAR OF THE (t)RAM

Also, if you don't own already, start packing your bag (not bags... only one bag allowed) to move into plantation -I mean workforce- housing.

https://www.sierrasun.com/news/forme...ia-lake-tahoe/

There's a planning meeting Thursday at the north Tahoe event center. Placer is still trying to make the Olympic Valley waterpark happen and likewise push hard for the Napa-/Aspen-ization of north shore. Board of Supervisors largely serve real estate and business interests, with merely lip service to making eastern placer more livable for non-millionaires. Public pressure is important and so is legal pushback so support Sierra Watch and show up to these decisions. Of course there will be zoom options and you can email but it's best to show up.
    Last edited by lepistoir; 12-06-2022 at 04:32 PM.

Some people will do anything for pictures of themself by the lake.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2114 copy.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	745.2 KB 
ID:	436969

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    It’s early, no? And lumber is milled timber. I doubt there’s lumber on the ground

Come on by my 'hood if you want to visit those trees. They are pretty much all here.

Yes, they really did just build an industrial sawmill beside a residential area. No warning or comment period or anything was necessary since the Washoe were happy to lease the land with no questions asked. No need to worry about any pesky environmental, labor, or other laws either! Yay, capitalism.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221011_115042.jpeg 
Views:	195 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	436971
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I am just popping in to say that the snow at The Star this past weekend was pretty bueno.
    Saturday was a smidge wet, but the upper mountain skied well.
    Sunday was feathery chalk.
    My Rustler 10’s served me well (shameless plug for Blizzard).
    This coming weekend should be interesting…
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Some people will do anything for pictures of themself by the lake.

Name:	IMG_2114 copy.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	745.2 KB 
ID:	436969
    That’s a tad better than the woman who rolled her Tahoe (or Denali?) off the side of Northwoods yesterday…
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Kirkwood has pretty darn good coverage right now, they popped 10 today so got a couple runs on it before I had to leave. Been to leery to head back to the BC yet but the resort skiing has been really good.

Name:	0AA5679D-EFCB-4E56-A665-E3739B0EC170.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	602.9 KB 
ID:	437020

For those headed to Olympic Valley who like to park near Far East and take it up--it is closed and will be until they finish hanging the chairs and cables on Red Dog. Also, the skier road from the bottom of RD face to FE is roped off closed. You can still take it as far as the Red Dog complex.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Summit opened today as well as Siberia Express.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Come on by my 'hood if you want to visit those trees. They are pretty much all here.

Yes, they really did just build an industrial sawmill beside a residential area. No warning or comment period or anything was necessary since the Washoe were happy to lease the land with no questions asked. No need to worry about any pesky environmental, labor, or other laws either! Yay, capitalism.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221011_115042.jpeg 
Views:	195 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	436971
    Labor laws? Are you suggesting Tahoe Forest Products doesn't have to follow labor laws because they leased the land from the Washoe?? I don't think thats how that works. And the Washoe have been some of the strongest partners with those trying to return the health of our forests so why wouldn't they be happy to sign the lease. It's a parcel of sand and sage wedged between shopping malls and Highway 50. And the region desperately needs a sawmill(s) if we want to make any serious kind of fuels reduction efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Also, if you don't own already, start packing your bag (not bags... only one bag allowed) to move into plantation -I mean workforce- housing.

https://www.sierrasun.com/news/forme...ia-lake-tahoe/

There's a planning meeting Thursday at the north Tahoe event center. Placer is still trying to make the Olympic Valley waterpark happen and likewise push hard for the Napa-/Aspen-ization of north shore. Board of Supervisors largely serve real estate and business interests, with merely lip service to making eastern placer more livable for non-millionaires. Public pressure is important and so is legal pushback so support Sierra Watch and show up to these decisions. Of course there will be zoom options and you can email but it's best to show up.
    Why are we supposed to be against that?? It's an area that's zoned as a hotel, was a hotel since like the 50's, and now they want to put a new hotel there. I get what you said in your post but didn't find any of that through the link.

PD, I think what he’s getting at is that there’s enough of that use type in the basin and that maybe incorporating another use type such as workforce/attainable housing might be better for the residents. I think a middle ground could be found personally but it would take some big decisions by Washoe County BCC to support any appeals for denying a project such as this. Then it’d likely get challenged and overruled in the courts if the BCC did support that.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post

Especially is not an absolute. So, in fact, those fallen logs that haven’t been harvested can, absolutely, be called lumber.

“lumber

noun.: timber or logs especially when dressed for use”

It was very nice skiing today (Rose). Friday was soft, yeah, but definitely a workout. (Phew!)
    Today, by contrast, was so totally *eazie skizie*
    Fun time was had by all.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...