Page 93 of 135 FirstFirst ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 3371
    that’s how it used to be
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Finally gonna do it right
    I do like hiking & skiing the Palisades on July 4th in the big years. Like 2011. I'll miss it this year.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

we're getting a decent refresh here on the west shore
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I’ll be on the west shore Saturday
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    we're getting a decent refresh here on the west shore
    Maybe I can commandeer a boat, cause I’m sure not driving, requires full attention these days to drive about or else a pot hole will eat your vehicle

But we have been doing ok on the south shore also, from today
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DBCF7803-EAE1-4503-9519-313A371FFB97.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	580.9 KB 
ID:	452993

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    that’s how it used to be
    Before they were joined at the hip right?
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 03-24-2023 at 08:30 AM.

Name:  C06FA6E9-8CB5-426A-880D-616106D080DF.png
Views: 1186
Size:  542.4 KB

Yesterday was my favorite day of the season at Squallywood. Granite got opened and skied fantastic after being closed Weds afternoon. Solitude got some great sunshine and vis in the afternoon. Fresh refills with some wind buff. Zero lift lines, zero crowds. Fresh ski lines all AM. Wrapped up Big Mountain work in the afternoon. Free skiing from here on out. What a year and still going.

Truckee is considering a vacancy tax--a tax on house and/or apartments and/or commercial buildings that are unoccupied for whatever part of the year they choose. At council mtg on Tuesday they are voting on hiring a consultant to study and give them options. It;s on the consent calendar s no discussion scheduled. Several place in CA have enacted these recently. The one in SF is subject to a lawsuit--seems like it desn't make sense for Truckee to spend money on this until the courts weigh in. It seems to me there's a good chance the court woud throw it out. (The SF one only applies to apartments in 3 or more unit buildings.)

I realize we have a real shortage of housing and especially affordable housing In North Tahoe and Truckee. The impacts of this are obviously widespread.
    I don't know what the current breakdown numbers are for full-time residents versus empty second homes versus second homes being rented part-time for Airbnb's, But I don't think this is a really useful solution.

The first thing that popped in my head was the second homeowners being forced to sell or full-time rent their homes, which seemed unfair and illegal.
    Next, I shuddered to think what the area would be like if all the housing was actually occupied full-time. The roads and infrastructure of town cannot handle that type of density. It would be a pain in the ass like everyday was near 4th of July weekend traffic.

In 2010 (couldn't get the data for 2020) there were 16,285 housing units
    7,293 were occupied, 8,992 were vacant
    Population was 18,392
    Renters were 5,941

Data is for zip code 96161, not Town of Truckee. which is probably 80% (not by value - Placer County is the Ritzy side of town, literally)

So now we want to incent occupation of that vacant 55% of the housing stock ? Sure that 55% is probably largely occupied over Christmas. We want that traffic year-round ? Surprise, to me, is that a third of the population are renters already.

Truckee has a love-hate relationship with second homeowners. On the one hand it would like second homes to become full time local housing. OTOH the Town, the Rec and Park, and the School district all love getting property taxes from people who don't use or underuse the facilities and infrastructure. Also, second homeowners pay higher electric rates, ostensibly to account for accommating peak demand on weekends, so they are subsidizing electricity for locals.

If single family second homes were to become full time rentals or owner occupied I think the result would be Truckee becoming even more of a hub for working from home. The benefit to the local workfrce wuld be minimal. The emphasis should be on condos/apartments and ADU's. Maybe if you want to build or add on to a single family house you should have to build and ADU.

I didn't know that last part, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Maybe I can commandeer a boat, cause I’m sure not driving, requires full attention these days to drive about or else a pot hole will eat your vehicle
    Preach! Pioneer trail seems more like the Rubicon trail as of late.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have enjoyed July 4th at Alpine more than Olympic Valley 4th’s.

July 4 at Alpine is infinitely better. Just ask Sasquatch

ATTACH]453022[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    The first thing that popped in my head was the second homeowners being forced to sell or full-time rent their homes, which seemed unfair and illegal.
    Ask any of the locals in the service industry who are constantly in fear of losing their housing if they’ve got any sympathy for the people who have 2 homes.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    Ask any of the locals in the service industry who are constantly in fear of losing their housing if they’ve got any sympathy for the people who have 2 homes.
    When I first moved to Truckee I lived in my truck, then we crashed in an apartment's laundry room. We finally landed a place at Donner lake. Jackson Hole we scrambled and finally found a spot way out in Hoback all while I was building multi million dollar second homes. My 2nd season I was on a couch with a coat closet. In Taos, I lived in a garage ADU before scoring a caretaker gig. All this happened a 100 years ago. Housing has always been an issue imo. The bigger issue is dirtbag salaries have barely bumped up and the cost of housing has skyrocketed.

If they tax vacant homes it will just be passed onto the airbnb people and if they don't STR they probably won't give a shit anyway. Question is what good is the extra taxes going to do for the normal Joe?

today was dreamy

wow, very nice!

and your dog rips

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    I have enjoyed July 4th at Alpine more than Olympic Valley 4th’s.

Any advice on skiing technique for suncups? Is it like moguls in reverse? Maybe snow blades?
    We skied Beaver Bowl one Memorial Day and my fillings all fell out,

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Any advice on skiing technique for suncups? Is it like moguls in reverse? Maybe snow blades?
    We skied Beaver Bowl one Memorial Day and my fillings all fell out,
    Ski them only when they are soft

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Since BA isn't posting today. Plus, it's free

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Any advice on skiing technique for suncups?

Lean way back and go as fast as possible.

Hope none of you all was trying to buy drugs in stateline today.
    https://t.co/2KBu7ujCDs
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage