Page 83 of 135 FirstFirst ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 3371
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyonaBuffalo View Post
    I just don't even have words for this. WTF?
    https://www.sierrasun.com/news/north...nces-new-name/
    They could've named it Vista Pointe, a wholly owned subsidiary of Generic Property Holdings, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Sorry about your dad. Your snow level doesn’t look terrible despite the leaks so crossing fingers for you. My neighbor is in panic mode and keeps sending me info about roof collapses. Overall I’ve seen this much snow on my roof previously and all the doors seem to be working ok but occasionally I do get a little angst. Then I just look at all the roof photos Gaffney has been posting and I feel a LOT better. River Ranch has a shit load of snow on their buildings but I don’t see them digging. My deck is a piece of shit and has just as much snow so until it collapses, I think (crossing fingers) im ok. Although since I’ve just clearly just jinxed my roof, im gonna go ahead and put my beeper on so you guys can dig out my carcass.
    They should be worried at the ranch. Leaks inside, doors closing weird. I walked across the part of the dining room along the river on Tuesday and could swear it was tilted more toward the water than normal. I'm figuring i'll be getting some time off after these storms.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4810.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	451224

Name:	IMG_4800.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	451226

Name:	IMG_4796.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	451227
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Thanks dude. I’m not sure if I should be concerned or not. Garage will shed, that’s fine, but to the left over the entry there’s no relief. Metal roof for the record but I know it’s all about weight.

Attachment 451209

Attachment 451210
    When i see that I think the bridging of the snow takes on a lot of the weight for you, but I have no actual knowledge of that

its raining like hell @ 5000 feet. I can hear my tin roof making little cracking noises. "Setling" as the 2 feet of snow becomes water logged
    One big section did slide off about an hour ago.

I'd go outside and take a pic but its raining

Nothing like the snow up on the mountain
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Mammoth is already reporting over 700" at the summit with a loaded forecast for the next week+.
    You come back on June 10, you may be able to get a couple months ( or more???) of skiing up there.

And Davis Creek was fucking great and as fat as I've ever ski'd it yesterday!
    Correction. July 10th. But still. Can.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post

Name:	IMG_4810.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	451224

Name:	IMG_4800.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	451226

Name:	IMG_4796.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	451227
    ears
    When I was a kid living in Tahoe half the houses were Summer homes. Boarded up during the winter. I saw a coiuple years where you could barley see them they were so burried . But they survived I think theyv were build that way. So
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    They could've named it Vista Pointe, a wholly owned subsidiary of Generic Property Holdings, Inc.
    They should've gone full tongue in cheek and called it Del Boca Vista!

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    When i see that I think the bridging of the snow takes on a lot of the weight for you, but I have no actual knowledge of that
    I was thinking the same - some of that pressure is likely going horizontal. Pretty crazy - the left side of the front deck is about 8 feet above ground level. This is at ~6400 feet. My friend's place at 7100 in IV is more buried than I could have ever imagined. I'm curious to see what some of the houses on Ski Slope up by Glacier Way / Sunrise Bowl look like - they were nearly encased a few weeks ago.

Latest forecast models have the temps now dropping way more. This could be incredible.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 03-10-2023 at 07:53 AM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Still rain here in Tahoe City but with some really incredible gusts.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Last edited by jackstraw; 03-10-2023 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Hiccup

Yeah it was built in the mid 90's so I think I'm probably fine. At this point it's only a little more than January of 2017... but what's coming next is my main concern. Oh well, I guess that's what insurance is for. And to think my last policy was cancelled for fire concerns. ;-)

BTW - we haven't had a single ski off the roof post yet. I did that in 2017 and will need to do the same soon.
    Yeah, good. Back then steep ass pitches and bomber builds. I had an inspector in OV watch me nail off the sheathing because we didn't put enough nails in initially. Honestly, I thought it was batshit crazy! I thought, so many nails there wouldn't be any wood left in the studs, but hey the engineers know!

My summer gig during my ski bum years was carpentry, so I've built in many different states and Tahoe had the highest building standards by far. Granted, that was the early 90's, so structures before that idk.

Best of luck to everyone. Stay safe

TAHOE 22/23 -THE YEAR OF THE (t)RAM

Anyone in south lake want to check on the building standards at the Swiss gas station by the Y?

Name:	IMG_4812.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	451234

FYI for anyone needing alternate housing,

Name:	IMG_4813.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	451236

Wednesday at Sugar Bowl

The good stuff on Disney and Lincoln didn’t open, but it was a massively fun day anyway. So much snow!

On the drive up, rain turned to snow at Auburn; I80 was closed briefly at Alta due to spinouts. But once opened again (no big rigs), it was an amazing cruise up to SB in very light traffic. Witnessed a full moon over Norden. lol

Name:	CA6EBB52-969D-4ECA-A712-9048B744E473.jpeg 
Views:	148 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	451260
    my snow machine kicks ass

I ❤️ winter!
    Last edited by parkmeister; 03-10-2023 at 11:38 AM.
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

My friend's place at 7100 in IV is more buried than I could have ever imagined. I'm curious to see what some of the houses on Ski Slope up by Glacier Way / Sunrise Bowl look like - they were nearly encased a few weeks ago.
    That's weird. When I went to Diamond Peak I was amazed at how little snow there was on the houses, although i'm guessing there are some areas with a little more north aspect than what I was seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    ears
    When I was a kid living in Tahoe half the houses were Summer homes. Boarded up during the winter. I saw a coiuple years where you could barley see them they were so burried . But they survived I think theyv were build that way. So
    Sounds like you're talking about the 82-83 winter. The one with so many structural failures they created new building codes. Let's go back to those good old days...

... I'm curious to see what some of the houses on Ski Slope up by Glacier Way / Sunrise Bowl look like - they were nearly encased a few weeks ago...
    I'd love to check in with some of those new homeowners in Soda Springs...

They were all so nonchalant about the snowpack up there a couple years ago!
    Still waiting...

That's weird. When I went to Diamond Peak I was amazed at how little snow there was on the houses, although i'm guessing there are some areas with a little more north aspect than what I was seeing.
    The neighborhoods on the other side of Mt. Rose highway - below Rose Knob - sometimes get a lot more snow for whatever reason. Although sometimes the opposite happens from what I hear. Strange little micro-climates or exposure / protection from the wind I suppose.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Anyone in south lake want to check on the building standards at the Swiss gas station by the Y?
    https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...uth-lake-tahoe

There's a link in that article to this...

Name:  03-10-23 Runnels Roof Collapse.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  152.1 KB

El Dorado County has lower snowload requirements than the rest of the lake. I had an engineer buddy write a letter to their building department years ago saying he thought the requirements needed updating because he works for insurance company's and most of his winter work (structural damage) comes from that area.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Pretty sure el dorado at least in Tahoe has been updated. When I rebuilt my house after the 2007 angora fire I was thinking how over engineered my roof was, it’s giving me peace of mind now!

Name:	350C73DA-2F6D-4C9E-8CED-B89377027289.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	373.8 KB 
ID:	451274

For the projects I've engineered in El dorado county I have found the county prescribed snow loads to be slightly lower than in Placer. In Tahoma for example, on the Placer county side at lake level the ground snow load is 223psf, in El Dorado county it is 170psf.

Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk

It is amazing how completely wrong they got this storm so far. Otoh, 44 people did lose power briefly last night in Meyers.

It is amazing how completely wrong they got this storm so far. Otoh, 44 people did lose power briefly last night in Meyers.
    How so? Here near Carson it's been raining and windy as predicted...
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

From looking at the road cams it appears the storm so far has come in wet and warm at lake level, and is maybe knocking down (by melting) the snow a bit.

Is that actually what's happening today? How's it impacting the roof situations?

It's trying to switch to snow right now at 6,400 feet in Tahoe City where we're staying.

We left our apartment with 10+ feet of snow on the roof to stay at a hotel for a bit.

We have no power right now.
    Still waiting...