Page 15 of 135 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    if we had some ham we could have some ham and eggs if we had some eggs

Went to go ski Resort chair this afternoon at around 2. The mountaineer doesn't start running in the Valley until the 9th. So I went to park at snow ventures, figuring I could ski over to the resort from the top. No luck- its closed, and no hope of poaching/ struggle bussing my way as there are three ski patrollers with stuck snow machines in the meadow. Ok so Ill take the shuttle. Walk over and the driver informs me that Alpine meadows road is closed for control work, and resort chair is closed because there was an avalanche. So I took some turns on papoose. Got a hoot from the 4 people making laps and went home. It snowed maybe 18 inches during the day today at 6200 in Olympic Valley, not bad!

TAHOE 22/23 -THE YEAR OF THE (t)RAM

Yeah. This is looking worse than expected, stability-wise.

Friend's text:
    [definitely skiing] Resort, sierra avalanche Red highest, just spoke to friend who was the director said, don’t even think about bc the skin in could trigger things up higher it’s as dangerous as it gets.
    Also just talked to someone said slide came down in emerald bay. Cars buried.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Yeah. This is looking worse than expected, stability-wise.

Friend's text:

Also just talked to someone said slide came down in emerald bay. Cars buried.
    Seems pretty expected based off inches of facets getting buried under feet of snow to be honest. All the SAC obs are in line with what they said would happen.

Hoping to get out to Alpine tomorrow if I can get some work done tonight.

There's plenty of safe slopes in the bc. it's not so deep you have to venture on the steep yet. Tomorrow is going to be all time and could sucker some folks to go where they shouldn't though
    anyway, today was fun
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Go slow, you've been on here a while. You know we are used to heavily discounting the forecast any time SAC puts out a warning. PD is correct that the nice snow, first in a month, could lure peeps to push the boat out a little further. It's definitely a day to stay under 30 and also away from under steeper slopes. Also, the roads are teh suck. Never mind chains. Mount up your car with some ice skates.

Anyway, it's stopped here and was nice and cold and fluffy the last few inches. Tomorrow will be gorgeous regardless. See y'all out there or on here after.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

You must've been the guys that got into the first gondola when the Palisades employees were yelling at you 🤣 My wife and I got the 2nd gondola and we were just behind you on Mountain Run. Not bad at all for November.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburello Rouge View Post
    My boy and I did ten laps on Mountain Run at PT today. We were the first ones down this morning so I guess that makes us the first ones down this season. Fun was had. We skied AM yesterday. Had some fresh tracks in the morning.

Lot's of exposure still at both resorts overall, though. Another storm or two would be nice. I hear Mammoth has more open terrain. We'll probably head there next month.

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    You must've been the guys that got into the first gondola when the Palisades employees were yelling at you 藍 My wife and I got the 2nd gondola and we were just behind you on Mountain Run. Not bad at all for November.
    Nope. We were actually in the second car too. But I did see the other guy getting yelled at by the liftie as he ran around to the first Funi car. Whatevs. Not bad for November indeed. Looks like they'll get more chairs running next week.

Some lovely low angle powder skiing at Sugar Bowl this morning. Lincoln, Jerome, and Xmas tree open. No Disney yet. A lot of slid activity, including some that look might have been remotely triggered by a bomb on a nearby slope. They did open the backcountry gates off of Lincoln but not the steeper stuff lookers right of the chair.

BC was spooky today. Excellent snow conditions. Wumphing left right and everywhere. Some shooting cracks on slopes steeper than ~25°. Got a CT6 and CT12 in my pit on Poulsen Peak. Big wumph and large cracks (3 - 4in) in a road cut test slope. powdork is right, its not deep enough to make 20° not fun. After this weekend tho?

Any mags to Kirkwood today?
    They tweeted 6 was loading at 9:40--something this AM, when buddy at Palisades said those mountains were on pretty minimal ops all day.
    Any real folks get up KW way and get a taste?

If Y: how far to either side of 6 did they work back and open terrain?

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnB View Post
    They tweeted 6 was loading at 9:40--something this AM, when buddy at Palisades said those mountains were on pretty minimal ops all day.

Thanks guys
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Clr4vchO...d=Nzg3NjI1NGI=

Thanks guys
    ShawnB is back!!

Yeah somebody post some stoke for those of us who had to go the dentist and have oral surgery today

More of the same
    Last edited by powdork; 12-03-2022 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    ShawnB is back!!

Yeah somebody post some stoke for those of us who had to go the dentist and have oral surgery today
    Good to see your pixels again, dude. Missed you.

My girl is ten and boy is seven. Been putting in the time with them and teaching them how to slide.
    Hopefully will pay off but it's been a long slog, with no pow days with you kooks in forever.
    Oldest story in the world!

"Man-child Forced to Grow Up; Views Past Wistfully"

The likely sequel:

"Man-child Busts ACL in Ill-Conceived Comeback"

Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    BC was spooky today. Excellent snow conditions. Wumphing left right and everywhere. Some shooting cracks on slopes steeper than ~25°. Got a CT6 and CT12 in my pit on Poulsen Peak. Big wumph and large cracks (3 - 4in) in a road cut test slope. powdork is right, its not deep enough to make 20° not fun. After this weekend tho?
    Collapse was dumb in the mount rose area today. There were a couple that were enough for my stomach to drop. Pit that we dug had the faceted layer at about 40 cm depth to the ground, and it felt like the snowpack was failing through the whole weak layer. I don't have a whole lot of experience but it was by far the spookiest day in the backcountry I've experienced.

But views were good, and skiing was really good for being so mellow. Saw that a couple people had skied that steep east face off Tamarack, can't say that I would've been doing the same today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4432.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	436469

Go slow, you've been on here a while. You know we are used to heavily discounting the forecast any time SAC puts out a warning. PD is correct that the nice snow, first in a month, could lure peeps to push the boat out a little further. It's definitely a day to stay under 30 and also away from under steeper slopes. Also, the roads are teh suck. Never mind chains. Mount up your car with some ice skates.

Anyway, it's stopped here and was nice and cold and fluffy the last few inches. Tomorrow will be gorgeous regardless. See y'all out there or on here after.
    Mount Rose highway was death defying this morning. Just about closed my eyes in the passenger seat going downhill around the DOT shack hairpin turn.

Yup it’s sketchy out there we stuck to low angle terrain, even so I don’t think I’ve ever heard so many whoops and felt so many settlements than I ever have before on a tour. Partner had a shooting crack travel across a slope and trigger a small avy on a short but steep roll over.
    This problem probably is not going away soon.

Name:	3600E494-CBAA-4BBD-AE0A-69CFC8157E72.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	568.2 KB 
ID:	436492

Name:	6898BBEA-92D2-4FB7-81A5-CCEFEC0F3206.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	670.7 KB 
ID:	436493

I'm pretty sure this is the type of set up that gave us the two paths on Trimmer back in the early 80s

Good to see your pixels again, dude. Missed you.

My girl is ten and boy is seven. Been putting in the time with them and teaching them how to slide.
    Hopefully will pay off but it's been a long slog, with no pow days with you kooks in forever.
    Oldest story in the world!

"Man-child Forced to Grow Up; Views Past Wistfully"

The likely sequel:

"Man-child Busts ACL in Ill-Conceived Comeback"
    Don't call it a comeback...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Glad you're all staying safe. I'm expecting to hear about some close calls today.

I should know better Lepi, you’re right. Although hopefully folks heed the warnings this time around if they don’t know how to stay out of avalanche terrain. Especially with a heavier snow load moving in today/tomorrow.

Glad to see some stoke out there though. Made it to Alpine yesterday after a 2.5 hour epic from Reno. Was tracked out but still soft and fun for the day. No complaints other than the truck drivers forgetting how to drive in snow and folks trying to get through chain controls without awd/4wd and/or chains that les to a huge delay on the 80 from Reno.

Glad you're all staying safe. I'm expecting to hear about some close calls today.
    https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...de-castle-peak

Y'all see this one from yesterday?

^the description doesn't quite match the photo

I was climbing high up on the apron west to east and got some good settling just west of those big old-growth fur trees in pic. 5 steps east of trees got more settling and a crack that ran east and uphill about 20yds and then it ripped out big time. 2-3ft crown 50 yds wide. Ran top to bottom. Couldn’t tell if it got into old snow or just lots of wind loading. Another 2ft on top of this instability, and things could get sketchy out there. Proceed with caution.

Name:	202212021904-fd61977b-b6a4-461b-9076-4bca567c57ba.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	436559

That's way more than 50 yards wide. There is at least 50 yards of crown to the left of the big rock in this pic. Measuring on Gmaps I get closer to 250. And that is already sketchy.
    Also note the turns on the right of the pics