Page 2 of 135 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    So stoked to see the new snow. Not so excited about going out and working on our ADU project when it is 18° outside.

And fuck that fucking new box thing...
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Isn’t the new thread supposed to start after it snows? If this season is a bust I’m blaming this
    If I recall correctly, first snow of the season was back in September and Leppy held off on creating a new thread then…

So, technically he can’t be held fully accountable for a sh!t season as he waited almost a month after first snow to post the 22/23 gateway to stoke, arguing about traffic, complaining about STRs and housing prices/shortages, and the debate of gas vs electricity…
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Lower powderhouse (didn’t want to get too high because hay fever (er, I mean avy danger, yeah, that’s it)).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	322.0 KB 
ID:	430903

Views:	193 
Size:	310.0 KB 
ID:	430904

Name:	1927B84E-5A85-4135-A25C-441102F72DDF.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	302.1 KB 
ID:	430905

Name:	IMG_5157.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	430906

check your batteries

Name:	IMG_5163.JPG 
Views:	187 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	430907
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

FYI: Sno-Park permits are going up in price for the first time since the program started (and there's been at least 100% inflation creep since then). It'll be $40 for a season permit, $15 for day permits.

Worth it today

The nordic was better than the downhill tho

Name:	IMG_4246.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	430955

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^that looks much more better

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    FYI: Sno-Park permits are going up in price for the first time since the program started (and there's been at least 100% inflation creep since then). It'll be $40 for a season permit, $15 for day permits.
    Yay. They have needed this. Hopefully it will result in better services/more locations rather than just enough to keep the program afloat.

I should clarify I hope it means more parking at new locations, not coopting something like lower Red lake that would add nothing to the overall parking situation. Although even that would mean bathrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Lower powderhouse (didn’t want to get too high because hay fever (er, I mean avy danger, yeah, that’s it)).

Views:	206 
Size:	322.0 KB 
ID:	430903

Views:	193 
Size:	310.0 KB 
ID:	430904

Name:	1927B84E-5A85-4135-A25C-441102F72DDF.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	302.1 KB 
ID:	430905

Name:	IMG_5157.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	430906

check your batteries

Name:	IMG_5163.JPG 
Views:	187 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	430907
    Love it.

That is some phenomenal desperation. Thanks for the stoke ya dork.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Any wild speculations on the GFS / ICON / EVMWF models for next week’s action? I just washed our cars.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Any wild speculations on the GFS / ICON / EVMWF models for next week’s action? I just washed our cars.
    You mean a pattern of steep troughs with lows tracking pretty much right down the coast? looks like a storm right around next Wed and another, possibly stronger, around Sunday the 6th but the storm track tends to be the storms that stay west of the crest and could be a couple inches to several feet depending on the strength of the associated AR. My money is on clouds and wind but not on the hype train yet for lots of snow. Wednesday, maybe up to 6" on high peaks but looks kinda warm. The Sunday storm could still totally disappear from the models. That's my speculation.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

TAHOE 22/23 -THE YEAR OF THE (t)RAM

Hey guys, there's a new thread:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=343513

Also, if you wish you could just get on a train and read/nap/answer emails during a peaceful 4-hour ride from SF to Truckee on a Friday afternoon, fill out this survey:

https://live.metroquestsurvey.com/?u...s=5&popup=none
    Last edited by lepistoir; 10-30-2022 at 10:01 AM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Also, if you wish you could just get on a train and read/nap/answer emails during a peaceful 4-hour train ride from SF to Truckee on a Friday afternoon, fill out this survey:

Thanks for posting! Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Also, if you wish you could just get on a train and read/nap/answer emails during a peaceful 4-hour ride from SF to Truckee on a Friday afternoon, fill out this survey:

Thanks for that. Was hoping there'd be a place for me to add my preference for a stop at Soda Springs but disappointed there was no such option.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

That's a disappointing survey.

All for more rail. Big time. Survey was shit tho

Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    That's a disappointing survey.

All for more rail. Big time. Survey was shit tho

What didn’t you like about the survey?

I'll chime in here... Not enough multiple choice answers, eg I would use the rail for work and recreation.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

It lists several possible reasons you might choose rail over car and you should be able to select multiple. I like rail to avoid traffic and to relax during my journey. I also might have multiple reasons for visiting or traveling by train to/from Reno/tahoe. And if it's going to be ski service, they should anticipate all modes of car-free transit will be available so people with different needs can use rail. I think the mobility question once you arrive is a huge issue.

There are times--especially weekends, especially weekends with snow--when driving times would be significantly longer and probably similar or even longer than rail.
    As far as intermodal transportation--people have been taking rail to resorts--winter and summer--in Europe for a long time. --so it's doable if people make the effort to do it. If enough people arrive by train necessary shuttle and other local transportation will happen, especially if an effort is made to coordinate building both. What would really speed up making this happen would be dedicated bus lanes to bypass weekend traffic.

Why not the best of both, a MONORAIL

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Why not the best of both, a MONORAIL
    Aw, it's not for Tahoe. It's more of a Shelbyville idea...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

What others have said. The survey itself did not leave room to answer the questions in what felt like a meaningful way. It's an important issue in my opinion, let's spend a little less on making the survey pretty and let some of those check boxes be multiple options.

For a company purported to be from placer county, they sure took the time to list out the names of public transportation services in sac/bay area, but when you get to Truckee/ Reno they didn't bother to name those services (and put an image of Sacramento light rail for RTC). It's like they don't care.

And finally, as the 1% that would use the train to go down the hill, there was no way to fil out the survey that way. I guess it's not about me, but like I said, maybe just let the person taking the survey say how they would use the service instead of pigeon holding them.

So far, 100% of my days living on the west shore have been pow days. Just went to walk the dogs in a neighborhood zone to see if it would be good for tomorrow.

Name:	IMG_5254.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	238.2 KB 
ID:	432076

When I got back to the car I ran into an old friend who was heading up then to ski, so I did too. In the dark

Views:	174 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	432077

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    For those of you with kiddos, where are you doing group lessons? Seems like only dentists and lawyers can afford to put their kids in group lessons these days. My daughter is 4 and looking to get her more confident this season, last year didn't go well with me trying to teach her so hoping if I can get her in a few group lessons with kids her age, then maybe the outcome is better. We've got ikon passes but might look at doing lessons at boreal or tahoe donner to make it less painful on the wallet.

I looked at the rates. WTF. I don't remember what we paid for the kids 30+ years ago but cost wasn't an issue and we were a lot poorer then. And we started them out on the free rope tow at Olympic. Didn't need a lift pass to use it. When they started riding the lifts a pass was $5. Vibes.

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    At palisades/alpine meadows it comes out to almost $100/hr. How much of that does the instructor get vs the mountain taking their cut? Wrangling a bunch of four year olds is tough but not sure how anyone can afford that regularly. Tahoe Donner doesn't do lessons for my kiddo without renting them gear so while it's cheaper that alpine meadows, we don't have a pass there. Boreal seems like the cheapest option but it's a bit more of a hike from truckee/kings beach/tahoe city.