Page 117 of 135 FirstFirst ... 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 3371
    Last week for Palisades. Only Alpine in June

https://blog.palisadestahoe.com/oper...ibextid=Zxz2cZ

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I know this is a gaper question, but what the heck do you wear for a typical lift-served sunny day this time of year? It's a bit outside what I'm used to skiing in the Pacific Northwest.
    Be prepared for the possibility of wonky weather, as well.
    We just had a hail storm and had lightning and rain last week sandwiched between days of close to 70 degrees. It’s also been rather windy on-and-off, too.

What scmartin69 said in post #2899 is pretty legit, though…
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Long sleeve synth or wool shirt, lightweight synth material pants. Lightweight base layer bottoms. Tutu. Maybe a windbreaker.

My first multi-day ski tour was spent tent bound for 3 days in early June on mosquito pass in desolation wilderness. That was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Cue the picture of the leather clad dominatrix looking babe riding her "slave" downhill at whatever redbull event that was...
    Le voilaName:  Screenshot_20211208-101102.jpeg
Views: 806
Size:  25.6 KB

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Good article on Unofficial about the Homewood development project.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2023/...ate-roadblock/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Good article on Unofficial about the Homewood development project.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2023/...ate-roadblock/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    it's like... what do you? Homewood did their damndest to stay open year after year , but 100 skiers a day is not enough to pay for shit at all.

Keep Homewood Public wants the benefit to keep skiing there without having to buy into an HOA -- but if it was so important to certain west shore locals, how come not enough of them skiied there to keep it open?

They remind me of the type of NIMBYS who prevents building on a private lot because 'this should be open space for the whole community!'. You gotta put your money where your mouth is, either buy the land yourself or let the owner do what they want with it.

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    it's like... what do you? Homewood did their damndest to stay open year after year , but 100 skiers a day is not enough to pay for shit at all.

Keep Homewood Public wants the benefit to keep skiing there without having to buy into an HOA -- but if it was so important to certain west shore locals, how come not enough of them skiied there to keep it open?

They remind me of the type of NIMBYS who prevents building on a private lot because 'this should be open space for the whole community!'. You gotta put your money where your mouth is, either buy the land yourself or let the owner do what they want with it.
    Maybe don't charge an absurd amount for lift tickets and people will come? I know I would have here and there... as I used to several times per season in the years following JMA selling away Alpine in 2010. Day passes were like $50 in 2011. I enjoy having access to OV, but I still miss that Alpine / Homewood pass.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Their lift tickets were $100 this year. Even day of. You could go to the ticket window and they will tell it's $200 or you can go online right there and it's only $100.

That's not really an option. The plan was to offer the option to "select" HOAs. That effectively eliminates a large percentage of the west shore and the vast majority of the working class. And I can guarantee you this year there were plenty of weekends that saw well in excess of 1,000 guests and plenty of weekdays with well over 100. From March thru closing they were fairly busy.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Maybe don't charge an absurd amount for lift tickets and people will come? I know I would have here and there... as I used to several times per season in the years following JMA selling away Alpine in 2010. Day passes were like $50 in 2011. I enjoy having access to OV, but I still miss that Alpine / Homewood pass.
    This and their marketing has been purposefully terrible. Tahoe also had a few seasons where the home season was short or non existent due to snow levels.

Even after the shared pass w Alpine went away, I was amazed how crowded it was and the storm day secret was gone.

If ownership wants to try and take it private that’s bad enough but the bait and switch they were trying to pull using previous approvals was complete bs. They still have plenty of opps to make money off new construction there and the last thing the west shore needs is a Yellowstone imitation

Cant believe it could have been bought back in then 90s for less than 10M.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Cant believe it could have been bought back in then 90s for less than 10M.
    Come on, I know this is TGR and all, but if you had 10 million dollars of capital to invest in the '90s, buying a Podunk ski hill with limited real estate development opportunities would have been just about the *worst thing you could have done with the money.

*From a purely ROI standpoint

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Their lift tickets were $100 this year. Even day of. You could go to the ticket window and they will tell it's $200 or you can go online right there and it's only $100.
    They did surge pricing this year so when people wanted to go they jacked the price of tickets up online to over $150 and over $200 a couple times. A few days I wanted to go to avoid the OVAM crowds but ended up going to other places since they were cheaper.

TAHOE 22/23 -THE YEAR OF THE (t)RAM

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Come on, I know this is TGR and all, but if you had 10 million dollars of capital to invest in the '90s, buying a Podunk ski hill with limited real estate development opportunities would have been just about the *worst thing you could have done with the money.

*From a purely ROI standpoint
    the guy that did make that investment sold it 10 years later without any capital improvements for 60M. It’s the biggest chunk of private land on the west shore iIrc

At the time, a couple of friends of mine had their company stock skyrocket and they could have managed like we’d by a new high end mtb rig. Woulda shoulda Coulda

I found this classic bit of haberdashery some 30+ years ago on the slopes and still place it atop my dome with regularity (usually when skiing at a mega resort). Sadly, methinks it might become hipster ironic headgear soon…

Name:  IMG_0517.jpeg
Views: 558
Size:  79.3 KB

But, back on the subject of actual skiing:
    AM was pretty solid today.
    And empty.
    Did some laps with Unpossible and G2A, plus some “High T” action with Sinecure.
    Quit just after 11 as the rain started to let loose.
    Planning to tour my local tomorrow, then back to AM Sunday, and a CP tour Monday (weather permitting).

The weather report is hinting that Saturday morning is my best bet for sunny weather. I'm likely going to put in a couple hours at the home of the 1960 Winter Olympics.

I'm easy to spot,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Me on a chair.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	460089
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Anyone been up Tallac (or any other west shore peaks) recently? Trying to decide between that and making the longer trek to something on the east side this weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Anyone been up Tallac (or any other west shore peaks) recently? Trying to decide between that and making the longer trek to something on the east side this weekend.

Walked pavement to lily lake today, short brushfuck to snow after the lake and then on snow up halls - clock is ticking on that line as the choke is melting out but should still be ok with a careful straightline or sideslip for the next couple days. Corral lap in the PM for a solid DUAL SPORT day.

Corral is all clear then? Thought that would still be snow covered. Upper as well?

Tallac is looking rough, I scouted access the other day, Pomo approach is burned out

Name:	6F12CD99-071A-4DB3-9BB8-BEA8A226EDE6.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	755.6 KB 
ID:	460093

Going down the road a bit to the more traditional access to sweat hill look like mainly skis off for awhile in both directions

Name:	22737D6F-AE70-4E36-84AD-CA6DF4091ACC.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	460094

The cross looked kinda dangerous to get into

Name:	DC7B8C61-3322-477F-9605-EF092E029AF5.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	583.1 KB 
ID:	460095

Name:	A5DE5C5C-50A5-4F8E-983D-5726F7579D8B.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	460.1 KB 
ID:	460096

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Corral is all clear then? Thought that would still be snow covered. Upper as well?
    Upper corral and connector go, they burn out quicker now that the trees are toast

Name:	8B222940-54BD-4274-9E06-F0AE6582DC36.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	460097

Name:	00F0DE01-67BA-4A83-8E32-6BA76D54204D.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	742.6 KB 
ID:	460098

Might have been the day before you went, we bailed on halls due to rapidly building vertical clouds, plus the skiing did not look that inspiring, chatted with some one headed up on our way out, you?

Name:	6078AFB0-E363-468A-8ED4-47077735CEB0.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	591.8 KB 
ID:	460099

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Might have been the day before you went, we bailed on halls due to rapidly building vertical clouds, plus the skiing did not look that inspiring, chatted with some one headed up on our way
    Wasn't us - we got a few raindrops on the skin and were expecting to get turned around but the clouds parted as we started booting.

Thanks all, sounds like maybe halls is my best bet.

Early Monday morning if anyone wants to join

Thanks all, sounds like maybe halls is my best bet.

Early Monday morning if anyone wants to join

While I know not as gnar as Halls, Rubicon was top-to-bottom coverage and ski back to the car action (i.e. no bushwhacking) this past Monday 5/22.
    Lottsa sweet looking lines on the backside in Desolation Wilderness, too…

Any beta on Carson Pass conditions? Probably headed to Red Lake Pk or Stevens tomorrow. Not loving the forecast for clouds and precip though.